OT: Around the NHL | Good riddance, Rivalry Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yup. Either way, I don't think he's going to be as good this season.

What I am trying to say is that I hate Mike Smith because he dives like a piece of shit but never gets called on it the way Crosby does for trying to sell more calls during his rookie year because of the abuse he took and doesn't do it anymore, but Mike Smith is almost 40 and still does that shit more consistently than Ovechkin scores goals.

In other words, suck it Mike Smith.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
They're the post-cup era Shero Pens.
I was thinking about that before reading replies. It was Dumb then, now it's Dumber.
MV5BOTk5ZjYyZTMtYzYwOC00NmJiLTk1OGQtZTMxY2I1YWQ3ZjJmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_CR0,45,480,270_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If you want to see advanced stats gone awry, check out Zeke’s list on the mainboard.

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
What I am trying to say is that I hate Mike Smith because he dives like a piece of **** but never gets called on it the way Crosby does for trying to sell more calls during his rookie year because of the abuse he took and doesn't do it anymore, but Mike Smith is almost 40 and still does that **** more consistently than Ovechkin scores goals.

In other words, suck it Mike Smith.

Oh yeah, definitely. Roloson was the guy I couldn't stand though.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Threads like those are why people plug their ears when they hear the words "advanced" or "stats."

They’re useful but some people forget that goals and points are actually useful statistics too. Like, very useful. Apparently Malkin is a negative possession player now, which is asinine.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
They’re useful but some people forget that goals and points are actually useful statistics too. Like, very useful. Apparently Malkin is a negative possession player now, which is asinine.

????? Okay...

I'm on board with using stats to measure teams/players, but that (the bolded part) is why people are skeptical about them.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
????? Okay...

I'm on board with using stats to measure teams/players, but that (the bolded part) is why people are skeptical about them.

Yea, it’s annoying that people use them terribly. They’re useful when comparing similar level players or trying to mine context. It’s like in 2016 when all the stat bois were saying Niskanen was better than Letang because his shot suppression was 20% higher, meanwhile completely ignoring the fact that Letang outproduced him to a 2:1 rate like that’s less important.

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Yea, it’s annoying that people use them terribly. They’re useful when comparing similar level players or trying to mine context. It’s like in 2016 when all the stat bois were saying Niskanen was better than Letang because his shot suppression was 20% higher, meanwhile completely ignoring the fact that Letang outproduced him to a 2:1 rate like that’s less important.

Niskanen is better than Letang in some ways, and the stats probably show that. But throwing stats and charts at a wall and hoping they stick, like some people do, is what gives stats a bad rap.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

That guy was saying Malkin gets easy match ups too? No team let’s Malkin play against an easy line/D pairing. Not intentionally or for very long anyway.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
That guy was saying Malkin gets easy match ups too? No team let’s Malkin play against an easy line/D pairing. Not intentionally or for very long anyway.

I mean he plays behind Sidney Crosby. Is he a worse hockey player because of that? Obviously not.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Malkin can only handle easy matchups because he is a lazy Russian.

Lucky the rest of the league obliges him. Not even Top 100 player.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Somewhat interesting article about how different players score. Article is on TSN here
goal-scoring.jpg

Also of interest, Joe Vitale is going to be a radio analyst for the Blues this season. Article is here

Leagues best forwards but I think they missed someone. I wanted to see how many batted out of the air goals Crosby scores :laugh:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
But, my god, what a trick it is!

phil1-2.gif

That is a ripper and he is shooting that off his right foot too. Some mighty impressive balance and strength there and the difficulty of that is most likely glanced over and goes unnoticed to the casual viewer.

Reactions: EightyOne

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Somewhat interesting article about how different players score. Article is on TSN here
goal-scoring.jpg

Also of interest, Joe Vitale is going to be a radio analyst for the Blues this season. Article is here

Nice to see the number of 30-goal scorers has crossed 30 for the first time since 2011-2012 (when it was only 30) and the most since 08-09.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->