OT: Around the NHL - Good hocket is good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I wish all the Metro teams would stop winning...:)

Pens sliding further down the standings...

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

They’ve played more too. Doesn’t really matter what they do though. We just need to get enough points to get in. Over 95 we might get in, over 100 pretty much guaranteed.

Funnily enough the only 2 times in the last 12 years (excluding short season) we’ve gone under 100 points there was a coaching change.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They’ve played more too. Doesn’t really matter what they do though. We just need to get enough points to get in. Over 95 we might get in, over 100 pretty much guaranteed.

Funnily enough the only 2 times in the last 12 years (excluding short season) we’ve gone under 100 points there was a coaching change.

Well it does kind of matter what they do compared to others because the PO system only rewards the top three teams in the division standings, right, regardless of point totals (point totals for WC teams)....
I’d like to test that theory about coaching changes...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

They can't all suck like we do, most nights.

We can pray though.

Honestly at this point, I am ok if we slide in at 8th, that way if we make it far, our pick will be last, but if we get bombed out in the 1st or 2nd round, at least if we keep our 1st, we have a shot at a decent prospect.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Chicago fans are pumped about Kunitz. I can’t imagine how bad he could possibly be at this point.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

**** faces ban reduced

I’d love to hear the reasoning behind reducing it. It was a dirty shot to the head and deservedly got a big suspension. The injury and history just adds to the number.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Here's the thing. While I don't think it should be reduced, I'm fine with it as long as the league keeps using this 2x multiplier. So his next suspension (which is inevitable) should be 30 games (14 x 2, plus 2 for injury).

I'll only be pissed at this result if his next suspension is something easy like 10 or less games.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Here's the thing. While I don't think it should be reduced, I'm fine with it as long as the league keeps using this 2x multiplier. So his next suspension (which is inevitable) should be 30 games (14 x 2, plus 2 for injury).

I'll only be pissed at this result if his next suspension is something easy like 10 or less games.

I like how Aussie Rules football does it (AFL). It’s a points system. Players can accept the punishment straight away or contest it (potentially getting more time). Very serious offendes go straight to a meeting.

Worth a read. They only play once a week but the NHL could adapt and say average 3 games per week. So 1 week would equal say 3 games.

AFL Tribunal - Wikipedia

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You're allowed to feel how you want about players, but we're not going down that road. It'll only piss people off.
Guessing it's about Wilson?

It's tough, Cullen hates it.

But Crosby thinks this is fine because this is what they wanted in the NHLPA.

If Cullen wants it changed, get invovled in the NHLPA even more and make that change in the next CBA.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yup. The next Pens/Caps game is in December. So we shouldn't have to wait too long.
Oh, goody.

I wonder what happens if JR moves Oleksiak and Wilson does something stupid in that game and we have no one that can go beast on them. But I think my issue with Wilson now is that, what if he does it again, he gets 30 games, does he appeal that and get it dropped down to 18 games or something? What would be the point for deterrent?

This is where I think they need to also raise the limit of fines in the the CBA. Suspensions are fine, but it's their wallet that hurts them the most. You think if you suspend Wilson and he forfeits salary that he'd be fine? Yeah, likely. But if you suspend him and also fine him on top of him losing money, I think that makes anyone think twice about being stupid.

Or in Wilson's case, dumber.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Oh, goody.

I wonder what happens if JR moves Oleksiak and Wilson does something stupid in that game and we have no one that can go beast on them. But I think my issue with Wilson now is that, what if he does it again, he gets 30 games, does he appeal that and get it dropped down to 18 games or something? What would be the point for deterrent?

This is where I think they need to also raise the limit of fines in the the CBA. Suspensions are fine, but it's their wallet that hurts them the most. You think if you suspend Wilson and he forfeits salary that he'd be fine? Yeah, likely. But if you suspend him and also fine him on top of him losing money, I think that makes anyone think twice about being stupid.

Or in Wilson's case, dumber.
I think I read somewhere that Wilson had a pretty big signing bonus so he wasn’t even losing that much $ to begin with.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think I read somewhere that Wilson had a pretty big signing bonus so he wasn’t even losing that much $ to begin with.
His entire contract is a signing bonus for being an idiot.

It's sad really, because I liked Tom Wilson as a prospect, kid had the makings of a solid power forward, but then the stupid stuff crept into his game and he's made a name for himself while doing it. Even if you look at his stats, when Wilson is not playing like an idiot, he's actually a very solid cog in the top 6 and the Capitals benefit from him playing a solid game.

But in any case, yeah, fines...the NHL needs to revisit the fines. If you are a repeat offender, you should automatically without any appeal process, lose a decent chunk of cash in addition to losing games and salary from those forfeited games.

1st time offender - 50k fine.
2nd time offender - 100k fine.
3rd time offender - 200k fine.
4th time offender - 200k fine + automatic 41 game ban without appeal.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

For the suspension they do count the signing bonus as part of his wages. So he took the full hit. I think there is only one thing they don’t touch which I can’t remember. Probably Perfomance bonuses as they haven’t happened yet.

Reactions: Guentz

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I'm looking forward to changing the "It has been 31 days since Tom Wilson has targeted a head" sign.

Reactions: BHD

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
For the suspension they do count the signing bonus as part of his wages. So he took the full hit. I think there is only one thing they don’t touch which I can’t remember. Probably Perfomance bonuses as they haven’t happened yet.

That would make sense, as they performance bonuses are predicated on hitting targets that trigger them. I think the only way that would ever be taken into account is if they were already triggered and his suspension happened, because in that case, it's become a part of his salary.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
The timing of this makes me think they whined about Malkin's hit from last week and the tinfoil hat routine worked.

Come on now..you're sounding like you've got a tinfoil hat on.

I don't think the NHL has ever upheld a full suspension when appealed by NHLPA???

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Come on now..you're sounding like you've got a tinfoil hat on.

I don't think the NHL has ever upheld a full suspension when appealed by NHLPA???
Oh, I missed the part of the NHLPA appealing it, I only saw the sms the nhl sent out, didn't look at the article. So ridiculous the NHLPA stands up for guys that continually try to injure others in the contingent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad