OT: Around the NHL - Good hocket is good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Kapanen is killing it, has 9 points so far this season...and they just said on NBCSN that he had 10 points in only 55 games in the nhl before this year playing on L4...there’s hope yet for Sprong

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Also speaking of jerseys, I'd like to say Colorado has probably the best "new" ones in my lifetime. Introduced in 1995, which was a VERY ugly time for unis, and they've changed very little and are aging into modern classics imo. Great unique colors, you can always tell it's them as soon as you tune in.

Reactions: BHD and ColePens

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Just a lot more really fast teams when I watch these games...I think the Pens have only average speed at this point when I watch COL, TB, TOR, MTL, NJD, VAN, etc play....

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just a lot more really fast teams when I watch these games...I think the Pens have only average speed at this point when I watch COL, TB, TOR, MTL, NJD, VAN, etc play....

It's amazing. Pens win back to back and boom. Every team is fast fast fast with 4 lines. If not - they are in rebuild mode. There are so many fast teams out there. I think it's a perfect time, like Sully is trying, to implement something to slow them down and counter fast.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's amazing. Pens win back to back and boom. Every team is fast fast fast with 4 lines. If not - they are in rebuild mode. There are so many fast teams out there. I think it's a perfect time, like Sully is trying, to implement something to slow them down and counter fast.

Watching Sid vs McDavid last night was proof speed doesn’t kill yet. Which is weird because I’d say every other time they’ve met McD has dominattttttttted.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Kapanen is killing it, has 9 points so far this season...and they just said on NBCSN that he had 10 points in only 55 games in the nhl before this year playing on L4...there’s hope yet for Sprong
Not with 5-6mins and 2 out of 3 periods he doesn't.

We're hoping for a miracle with his usage at this point, it would literally take a miracle with that kind of usage.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Kapanen can and does PK. That says a bit about his defensive solidity, and as he is a good skater at the same time, at least Babcock could give him a regular 4th line shift until openings for him came about higher up in the lineup.

Part of Sprong's troubles is that he doesn't have something like that to fall back on, and at least some of Sullivan's hard line approach must be to try and force him to develop habits that does not make him a liability when he isn't in a position to be a scorer. Everyone can hunker down in their respective bunkers and think that is wrong or right, its probably a bit of that and some of the other, but certainly Sullivan would not be the first coach with that mindset. And Sprong has not helped himself on that account - less so in the most recent showings.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
like most I really think Sprong has some attributes we really could use if they would flourish, i.e. that shot. Sprong is not a bad skater by any means, he needs to skate more and hustle. Sometimes I think his brain is just not able to compute what to do in time so his feet don't get engaged in time. Earlier on I blamed his linemates some, I thought Cullen looked slow and lost like 99% of all board battles and every time a cycle would get started it would just leave the zone when not on Sprong's stick.
But lately there have been chances where if Sprong was busting his ass he would have gotten a chance to at least put the puck back on net. You can't just glide around in the offensive zone waiting for a pass kid, not even Phil Kessel does that and he has a better shot.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad