OT: Around the NHL: Free agency is upon us

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Sid likes his pre game PB&J's, some people consider that junk food. I still love me a good pb&j sammich

I just learned not too long ago that PB&J is considered to be gross or at least more than a little weird by much of the rest of the world. Or at least the UK. When in fact it is magical.

@Peat must answer for his countrymen on this one.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think American peanut butter is much sweeter than a lot of other places

Yeah I think that's part of it. Another point of confusion is we call jam "jelly" and a lot of other countries think like... Jello when we say jelly. I also had a friend from Manchester explain to me that it's the mashup of savory/sweet that throws people off (though after living here for a few years while attending university... he saw the light).

I agree with hating on like... TV dinners, spray cheese other American fare... but PB&Js are a damned delight and I won't hear otherwise.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Yeah I think that's part of it. The other part is we call jam "jelly" and a lot of other countries think like... Jello when we say jelly.

I agree with hating on like... TV dinners, spray cheese other American fare... but PB$Js are a damned delight and I won't hear otherwise.
What’s your go to jam/jelly and pb combo? I like this slightly fancy preserves though:
prf_088702015652.jpg

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm REALLY spoiled. I make my own raspberry jelly. No seeds.

But for PB I'm just a good ol fashioned American-ass goof and do plain JIF. No fancy natural PBs for this guy. Gimmie that sugar.

Reactions: dogthateats

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I just learned not too long ago that PB&J is considered to be gross or at least more than a little weird by much of the rest of the world. Or at least the UK. When in fact it is magical.

@Peat must answer for his countrymen on this one.

American peanut butter weirds me out because it actually tastes like peanuts. Maybe that's the difference. Or maybe we're just not really big on mixing spreads here, although I know some disgusting f***ing heathens who have marmite and peanut butter toast.

I've got nothing here tbh.

edit: Also I didn't know Bonne Maman was a side both things of the Atlantic, I don't eat jam (jelly to you fellas) but good to know in case I ever need to serve something in the US that I know will appeal to someone from the UK...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I’m jealous and now craving a pb&j haha

I wish I could spare a jar but I gotta ration that shit since I'm too lazy to can them more than once a year haha

American peanut butter weirds me out because it actually tastes like peanuts. Maybe that's the difference. Or maybe we're just not really big on mixing spreads here, although I know some disgusting f***ing heathens who have marmite and peanut butter toast.

I've got nothing here tbh.

edit: Also I didn't know Bonne Maman was a side both things of the Atlantic, I don't eat jam (jelly to you fellas) but good to know in case I ever need to serve something in the US that I know will appeal to someone from the UK...

Yeah Bonne Maman is pretty great. Whenever I run out of mine that's what I grab. @dogthateats has good taste.

Most of the time I can't much blame the rest of the world for scratching their heads a bit at American cuisine, to be fair.

I've had "real" peanut butter before and it seems more suited towards mortaring bricks together than it does eating, if I'm being honest.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Testify.

My big beef with this is the example it sets.

Look, I've no doubt MacKinnon's style works for some, and that most of the guys in Colorado can live with it, but it's clearly not what has has to happen. But every time the story runs on how some leader in an elite discipline is a jerk to the people he's leading, people latch onto it as "the price of greatness" and start fetishising it and taking it everywhere.

When really it's the rationalisation for putting up with people who are in leadership positions for reasons other than their leadership and need some anger management classes or therapy but are seen as too valuable to call out and risk. If there was some talented AHL callup on Colorado's roster who started doing that in training, he'd get told to wind his neck in double fast. Why? Because nobody's putting up with that from some disposable kid.

Which means they shouldn't put up with it from MacKinnon, but he's talented enough to get away with it it. And so another generation gets told "be a jerk, it's okay, if anyone else can't deal with it they're weak". Not a fan of that. Not a fan at all.

If Crosby pulls shit like this, then nobody has ever written it down in public that I've found, and I feel enough has been written about him that we've got to assume if he did it would have been written. Annoying, yes, a dick to play against, yes, but being a jerk to team mates? Not a dickie bird.

And Gurgs can post up every example of Sid being annoying and perfectionist he likes, they're clearly not the same thing as bawling out team mates over a missing pass and shooting pucks at them.
Pens media literally would never say it about Crosby because for one they know the ownership would destroy their access. So instead they constantly say dumb shit about Malkin.

giphy.gif

I mean the fact that you said that has me in stitches. The Penguins media would never ask Crosby or ask others anything that would hurt their meal ticket.

Sid has been garbage in the playoffs for production 3yrs straight. Malkin does it once and it's multiple articles about how maybe it's time to move on or maybe he's done. Lol Jesus Christ mate. Be better.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean I couldn't say... I don't know them. But if what Zadarov is saying is accurate I have a hard time believing Sid pulls the ol Jordan act on his teammates. But hey I guess you never know.

Berating teammates doesn't seem like Sid's thing. But I wouldn't have said it seemed like Mac's thing either til I read all that.
Sid to me seems likes a bloke that speaks to players one on one via facetime on the iPad while in the same room.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pens media literally would never say it about Crosby because for one they know the ownership would destroy their access. So instead they constantly say dumb shit about Malkin.

I mean the fact that you said that has me in stitches. The Penguins media would never ask Crosby or ask others anything that would hurt their meal ticket.

Sid has been garbage in the playoffs for production 3yrs straight. Malkin does it once and it's multiple articles about how maybe it's time to move on or maybe he's done. Lol Jesus Christ mate. Be better.

If you're going to be a patronising bellend, at least think through what you're going to be patronising about.

This isn't about what the Pens media says. It's about what all the hockey media says. The worldwide hockey media doesn't care about whether it keeps getting access to the Pens locker room. If it gets a cool story about Sid, it'll print it. If, say, JS Dea had chosen to pump Eichel's tires and badmouth Sid a little rather than the other way around during his recent interview up in Montreal, it'd have still got aired and printed and the rest of it and got back to us. Just like we now all know Zadorov's juicy quotes about MacKinnon in a Russian interview. You think that if a former Pen had said something unflattering about Sid in an interview in Sweden or Finland or the Czech Republic or Germany the media wouldn't print it? You think that if one of the many former Pens now in Washington had an axe to grind, the local media wouldn't print it?

Either Crosby has achieved a level of omerta over all former Pens players and personnel so tight that it would genuinely be the most impressive thing he's ever done, or there's actually nothing there to find. Either way, it's not about what the beat reporters will and will not publish.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If you're going to be a patronising bellend, at least think through what you're going to be patronising about.

This isn't about what the Pens media says. It's about what all the hockey media says. The worldwide hockey media doesn't care about whether it keeps getting access to the Pens locker room. If it gets a cool story about Sid, it'll print it. If, say, JS Dea had chosen to pump Eichel's tires and badmouth Sid a little rather than the other way around during his recent interview up in Montreal, it'd have still got aired and printed and the rest of it and got back to us. Just like we now all know Zadorov's juicy quotes about MacKinnon in a Russian interview. You think that if a former Pen had said something unflattering about Sid in an interview in Sweden or Finland or the Czech Republic or Germany the media wouldn't print it? You think that if one of the many former Pens now in Washington had an axe to grind, the local media wouldn't print it?

Either Crosby has achieved a level of omerta over all former Pens players and personnel so tight that it would genuinely be the most impressive thing he's ever done, or there's actually nothing there to find. Either way, it's not about what the beat reporters will and will not publish.

giphy.gif

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Ahhh leadership- something I studied closely with my Organizational Development degree!

Leaders come in 2 flavors: formal (being named Captain/CEO) and informal (lockeroom mores). Some people can hold both titles at once.

Styles vary, but the style you are perceived as having is your genuine personality. Because over the course of time you can't hide who you are.

I know it seems obvious, but people respond to different styles. There will be some followers who perform better with a regimented/disciplined approach (think Bobby Knight). Others shrink at that stuff.

When you have typical turnover, organizations should evaluate whether the leader they've formally designated matches the "followers'" receptiveness.

I could talk about this stuff forever haha

Reactions: eXile3

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Tatar is signing with New Jersey. Details not out yet. That's a big one though.

He is ranked 19th in the NHL in ES P/P60 since joining Montreal 3 years ago. And he's doing this with 49.2% D-zone starts. They'll still have a lot of cap space after signing Tatar and their two RFA's, Sharangovich and Kuokkanen. Currently at 21.2 mill remaining.

They'll be at 11 Forwards. So whatever they have left they'll use on 2-3 more. Could be another big one coming. Next year they are free of Subban's contract too... 9 mill AAV.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Tatar is signing with New Jersey. Details not out yet. That's a big one though.

He is ranked 19th in the NHL in ES P/P60 since joining Montreal 3 years ago. And he's doing this with 49.2% D-zone starts. They'll still have a lot of cap space after signing Tatar and their two RFA's, Sharangovich and Kuokkanen. Currently at 21.2 mill remaining.

They'll be at 11 Forwards. So whatever they have left they'll use on 2-3 more. Could be another big one coming. Next year they are free of Subban's contract too... 9 mill AAV.

Feel like Tatar would be a better fit than Zucker here. He and Malkin would be magic

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Feel like Tatar would be a better fit than Zucker here. He and Malkin would be magic

Regular season maybe, but given how this team is playoff success or bust, wouldn't much care for replacing Zucker with Tatar. Hopefully they figure out a better fit for Malkin and Zucker.

I would have been happy to see Tatar go to another division though...

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad