OT: Around the NHL: Free agency is upon us

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Whatever. He's a big boy and he's made over $81 million in his career. He'll have time to heal.

Ever stop to think that maybe some things are more important than money??

You don’t f*** around with people like that. The way the Vegas org handled things is something I’d expect from a bunch of immature teenagers.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Btw, I so called it that Benning was lying about offers and was just trying to build up interest. That fat :eek::eek::eek::eek: has to be the dumbest GM in the league.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I hate people that bring up money as if it was the most important thing to every human being.
Yeah he has a young family and is an outstanding person and is about the community he's in as well. Chicago is not a place I would actively want to live in, in the same situation even with that 7m.

Especially a franchise that has done what they have done and then lied about it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I hate people that bring up money as if it was the most important thing to every human being.
It's usually by blokes that have never understood how that works. When I transferred to Seattle/Bellevue, a lot of tech companies reached out and had very lucrative offers on the table, a lot of money, but how a company treats you, compensates you very well, and actively has plans for you and shows you they do for career growth is important.

VGK gave Fleury that whole sales pitch, made him feel like family, told him he was family, then treated him like the adopted child when the couple finally got pregnant.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Whatever. He's a big boy and he's made over $81 million in his career. He'll have time to heal.

Just because athletes make millions of dollars, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be treated with respect when you decide to uproot their entire lives because it's best for your bottom dollar. There is no scenario where an athlete gets traded that they shouldn't be notified of it by the team. It isn't hard to do

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Poor MAF. Feel bad for the guy. He deserves better.

I don’t see that Ovy contract aging well at all. Not like the Caps had any choice though.
They did though.

They fell into the trap of legacy over common sense. The Capitals had cap space to really make that push to shift the team into a good mix of youth and vets with a deal for Kuznetsov to maybe land a prospect and a pick or whatever. Now for 5 years, when Ovechkin continues to turn into 2014-15 Brandon Pirri for them, they'll be paying him like he's still in his prime.

His entire career is tied to how good Backstrom is that year.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
They did though.

They fell into the trap of legacy over common sense. The Capitals had cap space to really make that push to shift the team into a good mix of youth and vets with a deal for Kuznetsov to maybe land a prospect and a pick or whatever. Now for 5 years, when Ovechkin continues to turn into 2014-15 Brandon Pirri for them, they'll be paying him like he's still in his prime.

His entire career is tied to how good Backstrom is that year.
If Malkin wont take a paycut and clearly appears to be a worse player next season do use that money on Barkov instead?

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Yeah he has a young family and is an outstanding person and is about the community he's in as well. Chicago is not a place I would actively want to live in, in the same situation even with that 7m.

Especially a franchise that has done what they have done and then lied about it.

Yep.

Frankly unless it’s proven otherwise, I wouldn’t want my young family around anyone in that org.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If Malkin wont take a paycut and clearly appears to be a worse player next season do use that money on Barkov instead?
Malkin would likely only do the same years as Crosby as the trio want to retire together, so either way, I'd give Malkin whatever his ask is which usually isn't bad given he's taken less to keep the team competitive.

I'd ideally still want Pettersson and Zucker gone and then not take much cap back in any other deals to see if maybe there's enough to still be a big player in the UFA pool next year while keeping the likes of Kapanen, Malkin, Letang, and Rust (whatever his ask is, being reasonable).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad