OT: Around the NHL: Free agency is upon us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
As for the leadership thing; I think Geno's the guy who will (and has, iirc) stand up between periods, give guys the pep talk, and go out there and walk the walk. Sid's the teacher who will pull you aside and be like "Bless your heart, you stupid little idiot. Hand me the iPad so we can see just how and why you're shitty--and work on correcting it". :laugh:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I went to the Yotes board to see whats going on with their new (old) Jerseys next year since they are bringing back the Kachina. No one knows whether they are going exact or something a little different. I found this and I gotta say I think I like this better. But yet no word what they are doing.

logo.jpg

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Ahhh leadership- something I studied closely with my Organizational Development degree!

Leaders come in 2 flavors: formal (being named Captain/CEO) and informal (lockeroom mores). Some people can hold both titles at once.

Styles vary, but the style you are perceived as having is your genuine personality. Because over the course of time you can't hide who you are.

I know it seems obvious, but people respond to different styles. There will be some followers who perform better with a regimented/disciplined approach (think Bobby Knight). Others shrink at that stuff.

When you have typical turnover, organizations should evaluate whether the leader they've formally designated matches the "followers'" receptiveness.

I could talk about this stuff forever haha

When I first started my career I thought the leadership part would be the easiest. Only to find out it is incredibly nuanced and difficult. There are some "natural" leaders but for most it takes a long to develop. I found out that product knowledge, technology, data...they all follow rules and logic. People are so much more complicated.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Had a vivid dream Canucks traded Garland to Flyers for a shit return.

My own subconscious is a better GM then Fletcher.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I went to the Yotes board to see whats going on with their new (old) Jerseys next year since they are bringing back the Kachina. No one knows whether they are going exact or something a little different. I found this and I gotta say I think I like this better. But yet no word what they are doing.

logo.jpg

Was this not a 3rd at some point?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Regular season maybe, but given how this team is playoff success or bust, wouldn't much care for replacing Zucker with Tatar. Hopefully they figure out a better fit for Malkin and Zucker.

I would have been happy to see Tatar go to another division though...

How do you figure a team would be better with Zucker vs Tatar? Just curious as to how you came to that conclusion. Both are solid players, a fan of both myself actually. Tatar is a fantastic player that drives the offense and possession game, he doesn't have the sandpaper that Zucker does, but produces at a higher rate and is more proven offensively.

The issue also isn't "a better fit for Malkin and Zucker" it's "a better fit for Malkin and Kapanen."

Zucker fits with Carter as well as Crosby.

In any case, Tatar is one of those players that would work with Sid or Geno with the way his game is.

In each of the last three seasons, he’s been incredibly productive at five-on-five, averaging 2.47 points-per-60 in that time frame. That’s tied with Elias Pettersson for 18th in the league. On top of that, he drives play extremely well and is a great asset off the rush.
Devils sign Tomas Tatar to 2-year, $9 million deal

A solid 5v5 player? Who needs that.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
As for the leadership thing; I think Geno's the guy who will (and has, iirc) stand up between periods, give guys the pep talk, and go out there and walk the walk. Sid's the teacher who will pull you aside and be like "Bless your heart, you stupid little idiot. Hand me the iPad so we can see just how and why you're shitty--and work on correcting it". :laugh:

Yeah, Geno risking his career in a playoff series where the other stars of the series were content to just mail it in and start over next year pretty much says it all.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, Geno risking his career in a playoff series where the other stars of the series were content to just mail it in and start over next year pretty much says it all.
Geno has always been the emotional leader, he also takes some very emotional penalties as a byproduct of it, but when Geno channels that, he's every bit an amazing leader as the rest of the best in the league. I think blokes think he's just a goofball etc. But when Geno gets serious I am sure that team listens.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That Hawks thing...just so much disgusting behavior from the Hawks Organization as a whole but I am glad that the Lawyer for the 2 victims is going after the Hawks, pushing SafeSport and USA Hockey as well as making sure Bowman gets banned/booted from USA Hockey as he covered up the whole thing.

I also like that the Hawks claim they did an investigation themselves and said nothing was done wrong.

But an ex-Cop literally stated he told them and they did nothing. Failure to report is f***ing damaging. Knowing someone did something despicable and then doing nothing makes you complicit. The Hawks should go f*** themselves and stop f***ing playing around with the Logo as well, dumb ignorant :eek::eek::eek::eek: of a franchise and fan base.

What an overpayment. Good lord…
Seth Jones getting 9.5 basically guaranteed he'd get 8+. Thems the market.

Let's sit back and see what ridiculous contract Hughes gets now.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Seth Jones and Nurse will be well paid 3rd pairing defensemen.
Both are gross contracts, rather have Jones though. He at least was in the conversation for one of the top defensemen in the world, Nurse never has and never will be.

Meanwhile Braydon Points new contract this year was a measly 8x9.5mil. He got criminally underpaid this off season. :laugh:

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Reports of Eichel to MON
That would be an interesting turn if events, but kind of nuts from a Buffalo perspective. Trading him in division like that.

I always thought Montreal would try to swing some deal on PLD and buy low, but maybe they realize that a French Canadian star in that market is no guarantee of success.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
That would be an interesting turn if events, but kind of nuts from a Buffalo perspective. Trading him in division like that.

I always thought Montreal would try to swing some deal on PLD and buy low, but maybe they realize that a French Canadian star in that market is no guarantee of success.
What Montreal needs to do is realize that they are not that good and tank to build properly… this is why I gained alot of respect for Guerin. He didn’t get caught up in the hype. Following the plan is key.

Bergevin in the other hand is all over the place, kinda crazy that last year’s fluke saved his job.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What Montreal needs to do is realize that they are not that good and tank to build properly… this is why I gained alot of respect for Guerin. He didn’t get caught up in the hype. Following the plan is key.

Bergevin in the other hand is all over the place, kinda crazy that last year’s fluke saved his job.

How is Guerin tanking? He's signed like half the team to outrageously long contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad