Around the NHL - Episode XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Brassard helped Ottawa in the play offs and was the opposite hand of Turris.

Trading a young piece for an established player always looks bad in hindsight.
At the time, the trade was worth it.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa

Brassard was only good against a depleted Boston team. He did get injured later on iirc.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Likely has more to do with being a UFA than anything.
Why don't you enlighten us all with why Florida was trying to move him. Any other data you can add to the discussion to indicate why he wasn't might be good too.

There were rumours about them moving him last year too

You're pretty adept at scouring the internet and the twitter universe looking for dirt on ottawa to cross post in here.

I'm pretty sure you can search for it and enlighten yourself

h2

Mar 26, 2002

The trade was never worth it, even at the time.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018

The whole opposite hand thing is the stupidest reason to make a trade. While it's nice to have some options for faceoffs, there is absolutely no need to trade a core player (or young up and coming player) based on the way he holds his stick. Extremely stupid.

I am making this comments towards Dorion, not you Qward.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
We should also all admit that no one here thought Zibanejad would become the player that he is today. In Ottawa he looked raw and maybe if he put in work he could become a 1C one day. Now he is one of the best centres in the league... crazy.

Good for him. I think every Sens fan is rooting for him. I'd love to get a look at his day-to-day life and see what happened. Was it a change of scenery and a new found confidence? Did he crush it in the gym? Would this of happened in Ottawa if we just gave him a few extra years? Who knows.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
This forum is so randomly spastic it would be entertaining if it were not so concerning.

Forum hive mind A: "Trading Zibanejad was the dumbest thing ever, he was young and had so much potential as a 1st round pick. Who trades a young 20 something year old center that quickly? Dorion is an idiot".

VS

Forum hive mind B: "Logan Brown has been passed by every center in the organization, what a bust, we should trade him while he has value. Also, Colin White sucks, we should have never given our young 22 year old center a long term contract to show our commitment...trade him to the Rangers? Dorion is an idiot."

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This forum is so randomly spastic it would be entertaining if it were not so concerning.

Forum hive mind A: "Trading Zibanejad was the dumbest thing ever, he was young and had so much potential as a 1st round pick. Who trades a young 20 something year old center that quickly? Dorion is an idiot".

VS

Forum hive mind B: "Logan Brown has been passed by every center in the organization, what a bust, we should trade him while he has value. Also, Colin White sucks, we should have never given our young 22 year old center a long term contract to show our commitment...trade him to the Rangers? Dorion is an idiot."
The conclusions are the same ... no need for A vs B

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
There were rumours about them moving him last year too

You're pretty adept at scouring the internet and the twitter universe looking for dirt on ottawa to cross post in here.

I'm pretty sure you can search for it and enlighten yourself

Rumours again. Drawing conclusions and forming opinions about players from trade rumours around the TDL . One approach I suppose. If it fits a predisposition even better.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
We should also all admit that no one here thought Zibanejad would become the player that he is today. In Ottawa he looked raw and maybe if he put in work he could become a 1C one day. Now he is one of the best centres in the league... crazy.

Good for him. I think every Sens fan is rooting for him. I'd love to get a look at his day-to-day life and see what happened. Was it a change of scenery and a new found confidence? Did he crush it in the gym? Would this of happened in Ottawa if we just gave him a few extra years? Who knows.

I think about the constant character assassinations and wonder how people all of a sudden believe that he was always destined to become such a significant point producer. This forum is so lame sometimes. I guess when you can write whatever you want without any accountability that it kind of becomes par for the course.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I think about the constant character assassinations and wonder how people all of a sudden believe that he was always destined to become such a significant point producer. This forum is so lame sometimes. I guess when you can write whatever you want without any accountability that it kind of becomes par for the course.
Well I mean almost everyone on here uses hindsight as a variable to their argument. That's nothing new. In fact it happens everywhere. Not sure why it's so surprising.

I was never high on Zibanejad while he was here. Thought he lacked hockey IQ and was terrified of driving the play.

I didn't like the trade not because I thought he'd develop into who he is today but that he was a young centre with size that when bundled with a 2nd rounder could have fetched more than Brassard who is 6 years older than him...

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
So then why was it rumoured that Florida was going to move him at the TDL?
He's a UFA, they have a surplus of offensive forwards going forward, and they're a bubble team. I would have dealt him if I were them and didn't have an extension in place prior to the deadline. Now they get to watch him leave for nothing while they miss the playoffs yet again.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

A fair number of folks still had him pegged as a legit shot as a 1C. Perhaps not a PPG star 1C though.

I think the change was simply overall maturity. In his last year with Ottawa, there were remarks that he was starting to take the gym and off season training more seriously, and showing more commitment to the sport than in his intro into the league. He was turning the corner with us.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
A fair number of folks still had him pegged as a legit shot as a 1C. Perhaps not a PPG star 1C though.

I think the change was simply overall maturity. In his last year with Ottawa, there were remarks that he was starting to take the gym and off season training more seriously, and showing more commitment to the sport than in his intro into the league. He was turning the corner with us.

I remember that as well, he had stayed for the summer in Ottawa to train with the staff and really focus on what the team wanted him to work on. The timing of the trade was extremely odd because of that. Zibby was a 50 point guy while seemingly not training optimally, and now he had started to spend the summer in Ottawa to focus on getting better. Not only that, but he had a strong end of the year right before getting traded. Turris had gotten hurt and Zibby put up 15 points in 20 games when they finally gave him better linemates.

It would've only made sense to keep Zibby to start the season and see where he was with his game. The gap between him and Brassard the year just before was already slim, chances that he would've come out and been better or at the very least equal to Brassard right off the bat were pretty damn good. And then we added a pick. That trade was pure idiocy. We could've had much more, or simply kept Zibby and see where he was at with his game. Which would've paid off significantly.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Draisatil has 107pts and is still -6 ,McDavid has 94pts and the Oilers are still not comfortably in the playoffs. Just as shoddy an organization as ever they have been since the mid 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad