Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

San Jose Sharks will either have to finish March out in an empty SAP Center or move the games. The Santa Clara County government just made their previous recommendation of cancelling events officially into in an order.

Edit: I guess technically they could just play with 1000 fans in the SAP Center for the 3 remaining games in March if they wanted.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Well at least no teams that people actually want to watch are canceling their games yet, so that's a plus.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I'll admit, I've got some minor concerns about COVID-19, but that's because I'm flying 3 times across the country in the coming weeks dealing with 3 international airports each leg. That's an awful lot of people that I'll be exposed to from a transmission vector standpoint.

And its mildly inconvenient that there is no TP on the shelves when I need to set up a new apartment... Ditto goes for disinfectant wipes.

Edit: This isn't meant to trivialize things, but there's a lot of misinformation out there and many people overreacting - putting people in pretty awkward situations, that shouldn't really arise.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Apparently Colorado lost MacKinnon last night to a LBI. If he misses any significant time, that really diminishes Colorado's chances of passing the Blues and winning the West.
You hate to see it happen. :sarcasm:

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Apparently Colorado lost MacKinnon last night to a LBI. If he misses any significant time, that really diminishes Colorado's chances of passing the Blues and winning the West.
You hate to see it happen. :sarcasm:
Their list of injured players is nuts. But I don’t think any of them are expected to miss playoffs. I won’t tempt fate by mocking an opponents’ injuries, since the Blues have been there plenty of times. But when it comes down to it, all that matters is winning in the postseason.

TaffyPool

Mar 8, 2019
^ The number of Avalanche injuries this season is crazy. I haven’t looked back to see what caused any of them — I’m assuming most are standard, unavoidable in-game injuries. But if not it does beg the question if there’s a conditioning element lacking in their org., or a player protection standard that needs to be revisited within.

I know there were questions of the Cardinals for a few years when players were re-exacerbating injuries — whether the assessment/recovery program was effective or they were rushing players back too quickly.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
^ The number of Avalanche injuries this season is crazy. I haven’t looked back to see what caused any of them — I’m assuming most are standard, unavoidable in-game injuries. But if not it does beg the question if there’s a conditioning element lacking in their org., or a player protection standard that needs to be revisited within.

I know there were questions of the Cardinals for a few years when players were re-exacerbating injuries — whether the assessment/recovery program was effective or they were rushing players back too quickly.

Winning the cup is a lot of hard work and a lot of luck.

There have been very good Blues teams in the past who didn't have luck on their side. Last year's team bathed in good luck after they made their turn around. I hope we have luck on our side again this year.

I think the Avs are just experiencing some bad luck this year.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I feel like I’m about to ask an incredibly stupid question, but I still want to know the answer, so bear with me.

Could living/playing at high altitude make a player more susceptible to injury due to lack of oxygen in the system? Obviously not things like a broken bone or whatever, but strains and tears that are often the result of overuse. Would the threshold to reach “overuse” territory be lower because their body has less oxygen?

If this is a moronic question just come right out and tell me :laugh: This is so far from my area of expertise, but their injury list is insane. Is it just bad luck? I don’t really remember them(or Broncos, Rockies, Nuggets) suffering more injuries than most teams in the past, but I haven’t really paid any attention to those franchises either so maybe I just never realized it.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Their list of injured players is nuts. But I don’t think any of them are expected to miss playoffs. I won’t tempt fate by mocking an opponents’ injuries, since the Blues have been there plenty of times. But when it comes down to it, all that matters is winning in the postseason.

I don't think they have a single top 6 forward or top 4 dman that hasn't missed time this season. Actually, Girard has been healthy...

To the point, that Colorado is knocking on the door for conference lead is insane given the number and significance of their injuries.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I don't think they have a single top 6 forward or top 4 dman that hasn't missed time this season. Actually, Girard has been healthy...

To the point, that Colorado is knocking on the door for conference lead is insane given the number and significance of their injuries.
I think that speaks to the system they play, the level of buy-in the players demonstrate, the coaching and the leadership of Joe Sakic.

Nothing short amazing.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Because the draft is in Montreal, I want to see Montreal win the draft lottery. Can you imagine the Canadiens drafting Lafreniere, a French-Canadian player, IN Montreal?

Reactions: Meatball

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I feel like I’m about to ask an incredibly stupid question, but I still want to know the answer, so bear with me.

Could living/playing at high altitude make a player more susceptible to injury due to lack of oxygen in the system? Obviously not things like a broken bone or whatever, but strains and tears that are often the result of overuse. Would the threshold to reach “overuse” territory be lower because their body has less oxygen?

If this is a moronic question just come right out and tell me :laugh: This is so far from my area of expertise, but their injury list is insane. Is it just bad luck? I don’t really remember them(or Broncos, Rockies, Nuggets) suffering more injuries than most teams in the past, but I haven’t really paid any attention to those franchises either so maybe I just never realized it.
Probably not because your body adapts to the lack of oxygen with more blood throughout the body. I imagine this process is quick, because if you were low on oxygen for a long period of time (weeks to months), you'd probably lose body function. So my guess is that no, players in high altitude cities are not more susceptible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 542365

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura

I did some looking and found a ridiculously long study on high altitude training in athletes and they're more likely to get radiation exposure and ramping up the altitude too quickly can be an issue, but if anything they should be at an advantage for being acclimated to it. My uneducated opinion says it's probably bad luck

Athletes at High Altitude

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I think that speaks to the system they play, the level of buy-in the players demonstrate, the coaching and the leadership of Joe Sakic.

Nothing short amazing.
That and the fact that despite the rep, they’ve actually got some solid depth. Sakic did a great job of bringing in quality players for the middle part of the offensive lineup.

Last edited:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Because the draft is in Montreal, I want to see Montreal win the draft lottery. Can you imagine the Canadiens drafting Lafreniere, a French-Canadian player, IN Montreal?
I want to see them get the second overall pick just for all the trade board threads about them moving up to the first pick. But I just want to watch the world burn.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

You’re asking a question that is in my area of expertise.

No.

The amount of oxygen dissolved in the blood is very small. The vast majority is carried by hemoglobin in the circulation. So...the dissolved amount would be lower, but not of any significance in my opinion. The body has mechanisms to adapt to the lower partial pressure of oxygen to allow the hemoglobin to still carry and deliver the same amount as at sea level (for example). The main mechanism is called BPG. The amount of red blood cells (hemoglobin site) produced will also adapt.

This is why some athletes work out at altitude before competing at lower altitudes. They are trying to increase their oxygen carrying capacity to improve their aerobic capacity.

I haven’t looked too closely and maybe the public don’t know enough to know the precise nature of these injuries. But I strongly suspect it’s just a quirk of luck. I also bet all the key players will be on the ice and ready to go for Game 1.

TaffyPool

Mar 8, 2019
For the San Jose home games, if they’re committed to 1,000 fans max (or no fans) for their remaining games, wouldn’t it be cool if they used it as a PR/community-building opportunity by having the games in local rinks around the area?!

Imagine how cool it’d be for you as a kid, seeing two full NHL squads playing an actual NHL game on the same ice you and your buddies play youth league on!

And instead of 1,000/19,000 in attendance plunging their attendance percentage, the Sharks sell out the place(s)...200 of 200 seats filled! :) Great visual and media value, and while they’re at it, might as well nail the slam dunk and give all proceeds to the local youth leagues/development programs!

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
For the San Jose home games, if they’re committed to 1,000 fans max (or no fans) for their remaining games, wouldn’t it be cool if they used it as a PR/community-building opportunity by having the games in local rinks around the area?!

Imagine how cool it’d be for you as a kid, seeing two full NHL squads playing an actual NHL game on the same ice you and your buddies play youth league on!

And instead of 1,000/19,000 in attendance plunging their attendance percentage, the Sharks sell out the place(s)...200 of 200 seats filled! :) Great visual and media value, and while they’re at it, might as well nail the slam dunk and give all proceeds to the local youth leagues/development programs!
I get the sentiment, but video production is going to be even more important when people who would otherwise choose to go to the game aren’t allowed to do so. The buildings you’re describing wouldn’t be able to provide that without weeks of prep time if ever.

Reactions: Klank Loves You
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad