Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
Ohio is banning large crowds, so Columbus will play in an empty building too. IF they play. The NBA has stopped their season and the NHL is expected to follow.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
You’re asking a question that is in my area of expertise.

No.

The amount of oxygen dissolved in the blood is very small. The vast majority is carried by hemoglobin in the circulation. So...the dissolved amount would be lower, but not of any significance in my opinion. The body has mechanisms to adapt to the lower partial pressure of oxygen to allow the hemoglobin to still carry and deliver the same amount as at sea level (for example). The main mechanism is called BPG. The amount of red blood cells (hemoglobin site) produced will also adapt.

This is why some athletes work out at altitude before competing at lower altitudes. They are trying to increase their oxygen carrying capacity to improve their aerobic capacity.

I haven’t looked too closely and maybe the public don’t know enough to know the precise nature of these injuries. But I strongly suspect it’s just a quirk of luck. I also bet all the key players will be on the ice and ready to go for Game 1.
Hell yea dude, thanks for the info. My question for you is: would training in high altitudes do much because of the fast response from the body to adapt to the low oxygen, and therefore when they are done training, their aerobic capacity is lost? Or does the body retain this function for a long enough time that it becomes viable to train in high altitudes? If it's the latter, then I'm guessing it's sort of like training your muscles, in that if you stop training for a bit, you can regain your muscle strength more quickly because of the muscle memory aspect.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
NBA player just tested positive....

PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek:
And, the season is suspended. I have a bad feeling this is going to cause people to crash stores tomorrow, if they don't do it overnight.

Ohio is banning large crowds, so Columbus will play in an empty building too. IF they play. The NBA has stopped their season and the NHL is expected to follow.
I would be really surprised if the NHL doesn't also suspend operations tomorrow.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
And, the season is suspended. I have a bad feeling this is going to cause people to crash stores tomorrow, if they don't do it overnight.

I would be really surprised if the NHL doesn't also suspend operations tomorrow.
It’s quite a bummer, but I’m certain you’re right. I’ve been holding out hope they’d somehow still have the Stanley Cup playoffs in empty arenas. But I fear they’ll just pull the plug. It’s like the end of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, where the cops just show up and start arresting knights.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Hell yea dude, thanks for the info. My question for you is: would training in high altitudes do much because of the fast response from the body to adapt to the low oxygen, and therefore when they are done training, their aerobic capacity is lost? Or does the body retain this function for a long enough time that it becomes viable to train in high altitudes? If it's the latter, then I'm guessing it's sort of like training your muscles, in that if you stop training for a bit, you can regain your muscle strength more quickly because of the muscle memory aspect.
My memory is that it takes a week or two, at least several days, for the BPG to fully adapt. So I think you’d retain an advantage for a while.

Reactions: ezcreepin

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
He's a beast, perhaps the most underrated player in the league though probably not for much longer. I looked the other day and he was 7th in the NHL in PPG after only Draisaitl, MacKinnon, McDavid, Panarin, Pastrnak and Malkin. Not too shabby.

I really wanted us to trade for him in 2016, although we wouldn’t have really been able to trade a center for him like NYR did at the time. Our center depth in 2016 was Stastny-Backes-Lehtera-Brodziak, which is crazy given how much that has improved since then.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Well the good news is that if they cancel the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs, the Blues will remain the defending Stanley Cup champions for a whole nother year. So we've got that going for us...which is nice.

203e4de28fd3a08d665c36a1dc4627d3

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The increased red blood cell count will last a few months, because that's how long the cells "live" for.

Just living at high altitudes will give you that increased red blood cell count. One of the most famous recent proponents of this wanted his athletes living at something crazy like 7500 feet (Denver is ~5000), but then training at ~4000 feet. 4000 feet is still quite high, but that was more about the practicality of being able to easily get to lower ground for training while living at such a high elevation.

Reactions: ezcreepin

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The increased red blood cell count will last a few months, because that's how long the cells "live" for.

Just living at high altitudes will give you that increased red blood cell count. One of the most famous recent proponents of this wanted his athletes living at something crazy like 7500 feet (Denver is ~5000), but then training at ~4000 feet. 4000 feet is still quite high, but that was more about the practicality of being able to easily get to lower ground for training while living at such a high elevation.
‘haven’t thought about this in a loooong time, but I want to say RBC live 120 days average. So you’d have turnover of about half the population in 2 months. You can think of it like a half-life.

Reactions: Alklha

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
They ought to at least test every NHL player, coach and referee for the virus before canceling games. If anyone comes back positive, you've got to suspend play. But if everyone is currently negative, let them play the games in empty stadiums until the outbreak actually occurs.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
They ought to at least test every NHL player, coach and referee for the virus before canceling games. If anyone comes back positive, you've got to suspend play. But if everyone is currently negative, let them play the games in empty stadiums until the outbreak actually occurs.
I disagree. The entire point is being proactive and preventing as many people as possible from getting in the first place.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City

That might work in Canada, but getting tested down here........

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

You called that.... stores were packed today, lots of empty shelves!

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
You called that.... stores were packed today, lots of empty shelves!

Gross. My training campus in Winnipeg was just shutdown, and I now need to return to my home town and move into a new place...

So I have: No cleaning supplies, no toilet paper, no food having given all of it away to friends prior to leaving for 7 weeks of training, so I had less stuff to pack and store...

Coming back to a town most likely cleared out of everything woth an empty apartment...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad