Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If the playoffs started today, we'd play Nashville.

Had a quick look at their stats and wow, Petro has more points than Duchene, Johansen and Forsberg. :help: :nod:
Colorado is technically ahead of St Louis. The Blues would play Dallas. These races are so close it changes every day.

I think Pietro should be getting more noise for Norris consideration. Maybe it’s better for the team and salary considerations that he isn’t.

Reactions: Meatball

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Colorado is technically ahead of St Louis. The Blues would play Dallas. These races are so close it changes every day.

I think Pietro should be getting more noise for Norris consideration. Maybe it’s better for the team and salary considerations that he isn’t.
Well IF Pietro walks it doesnt affect Blues.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
so can a player hold his arm behind the blue-line and remain on-sides? his stick? Parayko could camp out 4 feet across the blue-line and drag his stick into the zone after the puck enters...

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
so can a player hold his arm behind the blue-line and remain on-sides? his stick? Parayko could camp out 4 feet across the blue-line and drag his stick into the zone after the puck enters...
Wouldn't it make sense to still use the skates to determine on/offsides? Just give them a plane

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I have got absolutely no idea what they are proposing changing the rule to. The articles do very little to clarify. It currently reads like the rule change significantly favours the defence, which I think would be a mistake.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
I have got absolutely no idea what they are proposing changing the rule to. The articles do very little to clarify. It currently reads like the rule change significantly favours the defence, which I think would be a mistake.

Imagine there is a perpendicular line extending from the neutral zone side of the blue line all the way to the rafters. For a player to stay onside, all he has to do is keep part of the skate behind that vertical plane. All this changes is that the player doesn't have to try to get their back skate down to the ice to stay onside.

Edit: I don't know why I said neutral zone side of the blue line in this post and my next, I meant offensive zone side, as offside has always been determined.

Last edited:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Imagine there is a perpendicular line extending from the neutral zone side of the blue line all the way to the rafters. For a player to stay onside, all he has to do is keep part of the skate behind that vertical plane. All this changes is that the player doesn't have to try to get their back skate down to the ice to stay onside.
Okay, that's better.

It's just when various places are describing it along the lines of...
The proposal – which will still need to be approved by the competition committee and BOG – would change the language of the rule to say a player only has to break the plane of the blue line to determine offside. The current version of the rule requires at least one skate to be “in contact with, or on his own side of the line” for the player to be onside.
The implication is that any part of the player breaks the plane of the blueline and it is offside, which would also make it far easier to determine and heavily favour the defensive side.

No idea why they aren't just describing it as removing the requirement for the skate to be on the ice to be deemed onside.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
tumblr_ozna6tmuPq1vg1enro1_400.gifv

Parros giving a Player Safety report today at the GM meetings.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Okay, that's better.

It's just when various places are describing it along the lines of...

The implication is that any part of the player breaks the plane of the blueline and it is offside, which would also make it far easier to determine and heavily favour the defensive side.

No idea why they aren't just describing it as removing the requirement for the skate to be on the ice to be deemed onside.

The proposal – which will still need to be approved by the competition committee and BOG – would change the language of the rule to say a player only has to break the plane of the blue line to determine offside. The current version of the rule requires at least one skate to be “in contact with, or on his own side of the line” for the player to be onside.

Based off the quote you pulled, I think the confusion is that they don't say "completely" break the plane which, I believe, is what they mean. It's essentially saying as long as they hold part of their skate (or any body part? Not sure) behind that vertical plane perpendicular to the offensive zone side of the blue line, they're good.

I think the most confusing part of the whole thing is them comparing it to the football rule. It's actually the opposite of that rule and comparing it to such has people confused. That comparison makes it seem like any part of the body crossing the blue line makes a player offside.

Last edited:

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Hoping the Ducks pulloff an upset against the Avs tonight. Don't think that is likely.

Ducks missing their top 4 Dmen. Unreal.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I'm really starting to dislike Colorado.

Love how the Ducks aren't backing down. Out 4 top Dmen and it's 3-3 in the 3rd. Playing the Avs physically after playing last night.

Avs are all McKinnon and not all that tough.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I think the Avs will take this one after one last big push, but it's nice to see the Avs are not that great if you take it to them physically.

Reactions: TaffyPool

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
He didn't score, but Nathan Mackinnon just absolutely turnsytled Getzlaf in OT. Allen Iverson level juke. Was really sick.

EDIT: And now the Ducks win in OT. The Ducks played a pretty terrible game, but some puck luck, good goaltending by Ryan Miller, and an f***ing dart by Rakell in OT pulled it off. Blues still barely in first place.

Reactions: Blueston

TaffyPool

Mar 8, 2019
Oh wow oh wow! Ducks pull out the win with 1.2 seconds left in OT. And the Avalanche win streak ends with a charity point.

Great play by Ryan Miller in this third period and OT too.

Reactions: GoBluz24
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad