Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Carolina has a good roster but their starter is still Petr Mrazek. That’s just not gonna cut it when you have to go through all the loaded teams in the East.

Naawwww, surely he’s the guy to shut down Ovie and Kovie, and then Crosby and Malkin in consecutive playoff series! After coming off a concussion.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Lou lost his marbles. That price for Pageau is insane.
I kinda disagree.

The 3rd-rd pick won’t happen, cuz the Isles ain’t winnin’ the Cup and the 1st rounder will, most likely, be high teens/low 20s and not until 2021 cuz the Isles ain’t finishing low enough to pick in the top three.

The 2nd rounder will also be mid-round and we all should know by now that 2nd-round picks are far from sure things.

These picks are only as good as the scouting team and the GM.

The “winner” of this trade will become more clear in a few years.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Looking at all the trades that happened. In my opinion the Oilers and Canes are the winners. I'm surprised that the Canes didn't get a goaltender.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Yes, I think Ottawa was the biggest winner at the TDL.

Only if you ignore the context of how much of losers they had to be for years to be in a position to "win" the TDL. Also if you take into consideration how awful they will be for years as they trade away any talent that might cost money and could fetch them a draft pick. I'll gladly trade winning the TDL for being competitive most years.

Pageau actually wanted to sign there. I can't believe anyone wanted to sign there, but he did. Sure the contract he signed is probably too much, too long. But who else are they paying? They have to hit the cap floor, which is actually a challenge for them, so why not do it with a productive fan favorite who actually wants to be there. There is a difference between being frugal with cap and being cheap. The cheap ass owner will insure they will never be winners. Even if they hit on all draft picks, they will trade them the moment they earn a contract of any substance. I definitely wouldn't feel like a winner of I was a Sens fan.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think Toronto stepped in to retain on Lehner to ensure that he'd go to Vegas instead of Carolina.

Wow. I didn't even see that Toronto had retained some as well. It sure looks like they stepped in to block Carolina. That shouldn't be allowed. There is a reason that the cap rules only allow a team to retain half of a players salary. If you can just pay a 5th to some other teams rival for them to retain another quarter, what is the point of limiting retention in the first place.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Wow. I didn't even see that Toronto had retained some as well. It sure looks like they stepped in to block Carolina. That shouldn't be allowed. There is a reason that the cap rules only allow a team to retain half of a players salary. If you can just pay a 5th to some other teams rival for them to retain another quarter, what is the point of limiting retention in the first place.
Total retention is limited to 50%. Toronto retaining 25 can’t be added on to more than 25 from Chicago.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Total retention is limited to 50%. Toronto retaining 25 can’t be added on to more than 25 from Chicago.

Not true. One team can only retain 50%. Lehner's total cap hit is $5M. Chicago retained $2.5, the max they are allowed. Toronto retained $1.1M, and Vegas is left with a $1.4 cap hit, which is 28% of his full cap hit. Cap friendly page for proof. Unless cap friendly is wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Not true. One team can only retain 50%. Lehner's total cap hit is $5M. Chicago retained $2.5, the max they are allowed. Toronto retained $1.1M, and Vegas is left with a $1.4 cap hit, which is 28% of his full cap hit. Cap friendly page for proof. Unless cap friendly is wrong.
So...what if he’d been traded back to his original team? Seems like teams could abuse that.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I agree, but like any other finance policy, it is nearly impossible to write it to cover all bases or those bases were intentionally left out.

Reactions: Majorityof1

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I f*cking hate cap rules. I thought it was a max of 50% of a contract.

I did a little bit of research. I am too lazy to operuse the CBA right now, but I found a few sites that sum it up. The way most places write it up say that "the max retention is 50%." However, that is obviously not true in practice. The rules do say that only 2 teams can retain on any one contract. So I guess in practice the max is 75% (50% by the first team plus 25% which is half of whats left). Teams can only retain on 3 contracts max, so there is a limit. One team cannot be a retention dump for a bunch of contracts. Also there is a max dollar amount any one team can retain.

You are right though. Salary cap rules are always overly complicated. I am just glad hockey doesn't have hard caps, soft caps and luxury taxes. Those just complicate things even more.

So...what if he’d been traded back to his original team? Seems like teams could abuse that.

There is a rule on that. A team that trades a player cannot reacquire that player with retention for one year from the initial trade. Source

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
There is a rule on that. A team that trades a player cannot reacquire that player with retention for one year from the initial trade. Source
This is not exactly correct. They can't reacquire that player for one year unless the contract runs out sooner. So Chicago or Toronto could still sign him this summer.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Without looking at the numbers too closely, my guess is that Skeij was a cap casualty to fit Kreider and raises to RFAs next year. They strong-armed DeAngelo into a sub-million dollar deal this year, but he put up 45 points so far as a D. He will get paid. Strome probably gets a raise too. He is shooting for 60+ points and only makes like $3m. I'm sure they would have loved to trade other players, but the market or NTCs probably tied their hands a bit.
If I were the Rangers, I would've traded Strome. I dont see anything different from his game this year to previous years that suggests he could sustain this production while not being paired with Kreider and Panarin. He's been awfully lucky, both on EV and PP especially with his usage and pucks going in for his teammates. I'd be very hesitant to give him a big contract like he wants.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Shattenkirk will be his usual liability of a self once the playoffs come around. I'd be surprised if Tampa comes out of the East, regardless of how much they beast over the remainder of the regular season. That team is built for the regular season and no amount of Pat Maroon or Barclay Goodrow is going to change that.

Moving this from the zombie Shattenkirk thread. I think people are way overreacting to a bad showing last year in the postseason that was exacerbated by their insane regular season. Before last year this is what the Lightning had done in the previous 5 years:
Lost in 7 to the Caps in ECF (who won the Cup)
Missed the playoffs by a point
Lost in 7 to the Pens in the ECF (Pens won the Cup)
Lost in 6 to Chicago in the SCF
Lost to MTL in 4 (who went to the ECF, knocking off the President's trophy Bruins en route)

It's easy to point and laugh at them for last year but that doesn't exactly read to me as a team and core that "isn't built for the playoffs" even with a couple of clunkers thrown in.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I watched a clip of Ryan Reeves in action against Minnesota.

Reeves looked like a professional wrestler on skates. He was mugging, smiling, taunting, all the stuff you would see in a WRF event.

It was disgraceful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranksu

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Moving this from the zombie Shattenkirk thread. I think people are way overreacting to a bad showing last year in the postseason that was exacerbated by their insane regular season. Before last year this is what the Lightning had done in the previous 5 years:
Lost in 7 to the Caps in ECF (who won the Cup)
Missed the playoffs by a point
Lost in 7 to the Pens in the ECF (Pens won the Cup)
Lost in 6 to Chicago in the SCF
Lost to MTL in 4 (who went to the ECF, knocking off the President's trophy Bruins en route)

It's easy to point and laugh at them for last year but that doesn't exactly read to me as a team and core that "isn't built for the playoffs" even with a couple of clunkers thrown in.
If they can survive the Atlantic bracket, I see them getting thumped by whoever comes out of the Metro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad