Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
We were saying this same thing for Jagr and he played another 7 years after returning from the KHL. Hell, he's STILL playing. I think Ovie will have enough will to keep playing till he breaks that record, but thats my opinion.
Sure jagr still played but he didnt put up 35-45 goals per season anymore and ovechkin even if he still plays will see a dropoff in production

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Pageau to Islanders. The #Sens a first in 2020, a second in 2020 and a third in 2022 in exchange for Pageau from the Isles. There are conditions on all picks.

Ottawa has now 14 picks for this summer.

Jeesus.

Wonder what is Kreider price ? Damn I was so right about this TDL is going to sellers night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dbrownss

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Pageau to Islanders. The #Sens a first in 2020, a second in 2020 and a third in 2022 in exchange for Pageau from the Isles. There are conditions on all picks.

Jeesus.

The 1st is too 3 protected only and no condition on the 2nd. The 3rd only happens if the Iles win the Cup.

It’s expensive though, a 1st & 2nd for Pageau

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Lou lost his marbles. That price for Pageau is insane.

I keep expecting to hear a contract extension with NYI. If it’s a 1st & 2nd for purely renting Pageau Ottawa made out like bandits. I wouldn’t want the Blues to pay that even with an extension but NY needs scoring help.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I keep expecting to hear a contract extension with NYI. If it’s a 1st & 2nd for purely renting Pageau Ottawa made out like bandits. I wouldn’t want the Blues to pay that even with an extension but NY needs scoring help.
They likely will, but he really isn't much of a scorer. He just had a hot streak. Nice player but even on reasonable extension I wouldn't give that much up.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Jeesus.

Wonder what is Kreider price ? Damn I was so right about this TDL is going to sellers night.
For such an abysmal season Ottawa had last year. They can bounce back really fast. GM is actually good, owner still sucks

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Just keep your head down today Doug. No need to get cute.

I would circle back with Gorton at 2:59 PM if Kreider still hasn't been dealt. See if we can't get a reduced price at the last minute as it appears Gorton may have overplayed his hand.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Sure jagr still played but he didnt put up 35-45 goals per season anymore and ovechkin even if he still plays will see a dropoff in production
Come on lets not be disingenuous now, he had 66 points in 79 games as a 43 year old. He scored 27 goals that year. Since he came back from the KHL, he scored 322 points in 460 games (ages 39-45) and had an average goals per game of 21. Ovechkin is hands down a superior goal scorer and has scored 50 goals 8 times (had a 49 goal season). Jagr had 3 in his entire career (95-96, 00-01, and 05-06). Even if I grant you that Ovie will drop to 30 goals a year, he would need 6 years to do it. That's not that unlikely given his talent and scoring ability.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I don't get what the Rangers did today. Extended Kreider but sent a top 4 D packing?

Without looking at the numbers too closely, my guess is that Skeij was a cap casualty to fit Kreider and raises to RFAs next year. They strong-armed DeAngelo into a sub-million dollar deal this year, but he put up 45 points so far as a D. He will get paid. Strome probably gets a raise too. He is shooting for 60+ points and only makes like $3m. I'm sure they would have loved to trade other players, but the market or NTCs probably tied their hands a bit.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Happy with this trade deadline. Blues were top in west before it w/o Tarasenko and no one in the west made any moves of consequence to change that.

Reactions: DoubleK81

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Carolina got Vatanen for a helluva price. I’m a little jealous, I think in a system more forgiving than Jersey’s he’ll bounce back. Gonna force some tough decisions for Carolina down the road, maybe we see our good friend Eddy back at some point. Or Vatanen.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Happy with this trade deadline. Blues were top in west before it w/o Tarasenko and no one in the west made any moves of consequence to change that.
Edmonton was a little busy and added some forward depth. But other then that, everyone stayed put.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
For Carolina...

In:
Vinnie Trocheck
Sami Vatanen
Brady Skjei
Joey Keane

Out:
Julien Gauthier
Erik Haula
Chase Priskie
Freddy Claesson
Lucas Wallmark
Eetu Luostarinen
Janne Kuokkanen
1st round 2020
3rd/4th round 2020

Looks like turning a bunch of nickels into a couple of dimes. They got forced into making some trades on D they probably didn’t want to make, but their prospect pool is still quite strong, and they still have 4 picks in the top 3 rounds of this year’s draft, including a 1st rounder. They paid a steep price to stay in the fight, but I’m not sure they shouldn’t have gone the extra step to grab Lehner too. It would have made a lot of sense.

It seems sort of like bad asset management on their part, but they culled their large prospect pool a bit which will let the best guys play more, and they have managed their assets so well in the past that even paying a huge price didn’t really hurt them that much. On the flip side, we feel every prospect/pick trade pretty severely at this point, because we’re relatively thin. Not a judgment thing, we’re two teams in different places, but it’s just interesting to see how different our two teams are.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't fault Carolina but I'm just not too wow'd. Trocheck seems to have fallen off a cliff. Ranger fans have been trying to unload Skjei for awhile. Never been a fan of Vatanen. If it didnt really hurt them, then cool. Fans will appreciate the moves to make the playoffs. That's probably more important then anything

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I don't fault Carolina but I'm just not too wow'd. Trocheck seems to have fallen off a cliff. Ranger fans have been trying to unload Skjei for awhile. Never been a fan of Vatanen. If it didnt really hurt them, then cool. Fans will appreciate the moves to make the playoffs. That's probably more important then anything

I think Florida sold low on Trocheck, and Carolina paid a decent price but got what is still a very useful player. I like that deal a lot for them. I like the Vatanen one too, maybe not quite as much. I agree with you on Skjei.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

I think that’s definitely a fair take, there’s a lot of risk in these moves. But Vatanen’s first year in Jersey was as good as he ever was in Anaheim, which was stellar. Being asked to carry a bad team defensively is a tall task. Same goes for Skjei, except he was expected to do that way earlier than was appropriate in New York. I think there’s a fair chance each of them turn it around, in the same way that Scandella is now shining with us.

Trocheck is a Fabbri gamble. He went through a *bad* injury a few years ago, and maybe a change of scenery helps him get back on track.

Their goaltending still sucks, so none of that probably makes much difference, but they were decent gambles to make, imo. Does it make them better than Pittsburgh or Washington? Nah. But it probably keeps them in the playoffs, and once you’re there, crazier things have happened.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Carolina has a good roster but their starter is still Petr Mrazek. That’s just not gonna cut it when you have to go through all the loaded teams in the East.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad