Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
It seems that David Backes has refused his assignment to the minor leagues.

Is Boston obligated to pay him? Can Boston just terminate his contract for failure to accept the assignment?

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It seems that David Backes has refused his assignment to the minor leagues.

Is Boston obligated to pay him? Can Boston just terminate his contract for failure to accept the assignment?
Sounds like was mutual decision as Boston didn't want him to go there and get hurt. They are apparently trying to trade him to clear his cap charge and if no success would presumably buy him out this summer. And can't buy out injured player.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Hah, Buuudrööö fired.

I thought Wild played well this season noting how bad their roster was.

boudreau_bruce640.jpg

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Looks like Dallas will take over the lead very soon...

And to think we had 11-points on them just a month ago.

Yikes!

Reactions: shmotz

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Just noticed how badly situation Sharks are. EK out, Couture out, Hertl out. Must be very saddening for Jumbo and Marleu play over there now.

Sharks should deal with Burns and get big pieces from him. Re-build mode. Sell Jumbo, Marleu at TDL too.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Just noticed how badly situation Sharks are. EK out, Couture out, Hertl out. Must be very saddening for Jumbo and Marleu play over there now.

Sharks should deal with Burns and get big pieces from him. Re-build mode. Sell Jumbo, Marleu at TDL too.

I'm not sure who wants a guy 2 weeks from turning 35, who is regressing offensively (which is his trademark, not his IQ or defence) and signed for 8 mil AAV for 5 more years... That Burns contract is going to be rough for at least 3 or more of those 5 years.

Jumbo and Marleau may be appealing pieces before the deadline as depth guys for a contender. I could see a Pittsburgh or Colorado picking them up if they're not happy with their 3C or want the insurance - but Tampa, Washington and us have much better options available within the organization.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
With Kadri out indefinitely, I could see Colorado going after Jumbo. But a guy his age in that altitude - sounds like a recipe for disaster, so...

Definitely overlooked the Kadri injury. That puts pressure on GM Sakic to pick up a C - not sure who else is available as a rental other than Jumbo as I don't expect COL to pony up the ask for JGP.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Dallas is the bigger threat

They were inches away from a Jamie Benn wrap around eliminating us in last year's playoffs and while they stumbled a bit early this season, they are playing very solid hockey right now.

Meanwhile, the Blues are a mess right now. Dallas would roll us if the playoffs were happening. We need time to rekindle the fire from last year.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Dallas is the bigger threat

They were inches away from a Jamie Benn wrap around eliminating us in last year's playoffs and while they stumbled a bit early this season, they are playing very solid hockey right now.

Meanwhile, the Blues are a mess right now. Dallas would roll us if the playoffs were happening. We need time to rekindle the fire from last year.
I agree with what you're saying but remember that game 7. Dallas scores off a lucky ass ref assist and had no business being in that game. They got a god like performance from Ben Bishop for almost 2hrs. Any other day, that game is like the close out games in round 1 and 3

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Fun game in Denver tonight. Avs and Bolts playing with much more nastiness and intensity than maybe woulda thunk.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Avs could be in trouble a bit. Rantanen out for maybe 2 months. Kadri, Calvert and Grubauer are also our.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Fun game in Denver tonight. Avs and Bolts playing with much more nastiness and intensity than maybe woulda thunk.
Third period looked like the Bolts were playing in Vegas. Getting no PP after Compher destroyed McElhinney and getting put on the PK after MacKinnon went shoulder-to-beak on Palat and left him bloodied was some next level officiating. And don't even get me started about the two blatant picks that Colorado got away with in OT, one right in the middle of the slot.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Third period looked like the Bolts were playing in Vegas. Getting no PP after Compher destroyed McElhinney and getting put on the PK after MacKinnon went shoulder-to-beak on Palat and left him bloodied was some next level officiating. And don't even get me started about the two blatant picks that Colorado got away with in OT, one right in the middle of the slot.
Those picks were bad. I didn't have problem with calls on other 2 plays bc Tampa guys (understandably) jumped Colorado players in retaliation.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I like Martinez, but is he worth two 2nds when Scandella got a 2nd and a 4th, and DeMelo got a 2nd a 3rd? I really don’t think so...
I don't think he's worth what VGK paid, but he's got an extra year on his contract. Scandella had max retention, and the 4th has conditions. DeMelo only got a 3rd. It was Dillon who got a 2nd and a 3rd and he had max retention, too. The terms of these deals are all over the place, which is why it is sometimes hard to determine where the value ranks in terms of who got the better of each deal, especially when trying to relate one deal to another.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Damn....those SN guys nailed it.

"They want it easy"

They got paid already....

"They aren't wired that way [to win the hard way]"

Nailed it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Backes to Anaheim. I remember when Boston fans said it would be easy to dump him and that he wouldn't cost them much to do so. I like the deal for them and like Kase, but they definitely paid a price to get rid of 75% of Backes.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Kaše is a quality player, but he has quite a significant concussion history at only 24. I can't speak to how good the Swedish defenseman they gave up is, but he was a 2018 second rounder. It's a steep price considering they retained 25% on Backes.

Does Petro really want to sign there?
No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad