Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I have a hard time believing Stickland talks to Quinville.

Either way, we've coachless long enough that there wasnt anything between Q and the Blues. If he was our guy, he would have been hired. Same for AV.

Whether that's a good thing or not.....

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I have a hard time believing Stickland talks to Quinville.

Either way, we've coachless long enough that there wasnt anything between Q and the Blues. If he was our guy, he would have been hired. Same for AV.

Whether that's a good thing or not.....

Why would he lie about that? Others have reported its premature. There is no announcement about a coaching hire yet, Quenneville is just the target.

I'm not saying the Blues are still in on Q. But the Flyers have not finalized a deal with him yet either.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Only Crediance I have given to Andy in this is he was quick to come out and say Q was not looking to come back to coaching right away and he wasn’t wrong. If Philly gets Q. So be it. I hope they leak what the salary is. I’d bet it is $8+ million.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Why would he lie about that? Others have reported its premature. There is no announcement about a coaching hire yet, Quenneville is just the target.

I'm not saying the Blues are still in on Q. But the Flyers have not finalized a deal with him yet either.
Feels like it may be matter of timing. Flyers don't want to fire coach while he is still on plane back from Vancouver with team. Q doesn't want to accept job until they fire current coach. Wouldn't surprise me if Q is in place in Philly in next day or 2.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

I just dont think Andy Strickland can get a phone call with Q.

I'm not trying to say he's lying, just that he didnt get it directly from Q. He tries to be more of a presence then he is.

Last edited:

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I just dont think Andy Strickland can get a phone call with Q.

I'm not trying to say he's lying, just that he didnt get it directly from Q. He tries to be more of a presence then he is.

I want to believe they got ahead of themselves on this one. Continued sucking this year, coupled with Q as the next coach, is immensely more valuable than getting on a hot streak.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
What do you mean?

I don’t trust Strickland either, but I want to think the rush to report Q to Philly got people ahead of their skis on this. I hope it is not true. I want to thread a needle here. I want to suck as much as possible, to ensure we keep our pick, but I also want to land Coach Q as late as possible while also keeping our pick.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don’t trust Strickland either, but I want to think the rush to report Q to Philly got people ahead of their skis on this. I hope it is not true. I want to thread a needle here. I want to suck as much as possible, to ensure we keep our pick, but I also want to land Coach Q as late as possible while also keeping our pick.
Gotcha. I dont disagree but I'd think if managment though Q was their guy, then he would have already been hired.

I have the dream of just sucking this season out and landing a lottery pick. But I'd also love to see a new coaching staff come in and right the ship

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Gotcha. I dont disagree but I'd think if managment though Q was their guy, then he would have already been hired.

I have the dream of just sucking this season out and landing a lottery pick. But I'd also love to see a new coaching staff come in and right the ship

It’s possible we have been in a bidding war for a little while with Philly, and this leaking is all part of that. That’s what I am grabbing on to, until it is official.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Q is out of our league, just like Tavares was. Blues fans shouldn't get their hopes up too much, maybe need to set their sights lower. Q to Philly makes a lot more sense. Big market team with deep pockets wants to make a big splash.

Don't take this the wrong way, I just don't want to see Blues fans get hurt.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Too bad we can't embrace the tank.
Armstrong needs to decide what the plan is and actually commit to it.

I'm tired of hearing that we're "open for business". The reality is that Armstrong will be listening to offers, but sitting waiting for a perfect situation to develop. As he always does. It developed in the offseason when we got ROR, just a pity that we had the damage done last season.

I'm not advocating bad moves for the sake of doing something. I'm wanting to see a clear vision of what the hell we are trying to do. For years he's spoken about speed and we've never really addressed it.

We don't need to win every trade on paper, we need to be a better team at the end of it without completely mortgaging the future.

Reactions: TruBlu

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
Crawford concussion in CHI. Is it me or are there way more concussions this year than ever before?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Armstrong needs to decide what the plan is and actually commit to it.

I'm tired of hearing that we're "open for business". The reality is that Armstrong will be listening to offers, but sitting waiting for a perfect situation to develop. As he always does. It developed in the offseason when we got ROR, just a pity that we had the damage done last season.

I'm not advocating bad moves for the sake of doing something. I'm wanting to see a clear vision of what the hell we are trying to do. For years he's spoken about speed and we've never really addressed it.

We don't need to win every trade on paper, we need to be a better team at the end of it without completely mortgaging the future.
We really dont know what Army's plan actually is though. We can only speculate. Right now we just have the idea he will listen to offers on almost any player. To me that says, "no ones safe so get your shit together". The only consensus I see is coaching and goaltending. Outside of that, there's no reason this team is this bad.....well besides coaching

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
Well this might be end of his NHL career.
Yea - especially after the last one took him out for so long. It seems there are more concussions these days. I saw an article somewhere that claimed that the number of occurrences has not gone up, rather the number of concussions that are being reported is going up because it is no longer taboo to admit it. I do not remember seeing so many head injuries per year 20 years ago.

Reactions: Blueston

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
It looks like someone in Buffalo is a locker room cancer, and sucked Berglund's will to play and love for the game away.

That's such a crazy situation. I don't understand why he would risk flushing that contract down the tube. Does he think he'd get a better one?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It looks like someone in Buffalo is a locker room cancer, and sucked Berglund's will to play and love for the game away.

That's such a crazy situation. I don't understand why he would risk flushing that contract down the tube. Does he think he'd get a better one?
He has to know that he wouldn't, but the Sabres would need something significant to get out of the contract. Missing a flight doesn't cut it.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
He has to know that he wouldn't, but the Sabres would need something significant to get out of the contract. Missing a flight doesn't cut it.
Buffalo media are reporting about discussions to mutually terminate the contract. How on earth did Berglund get to the point where he'd want to do that?!

Reactions: Alklha

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Buffalo media are reporting about discussions to mutually terminate the contract. How on earth did Berglund get to the point where he'd want to do that?!

He probably has plenty of money in the bank, and he'd rather play in a spot where he has a bigger role or consistent minutes.

Reactions: Alklha

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
There was apparently some talk in Sweden a few years ago about Berglund wanting to return there to play, but it obviously wasn't taken very seriously because it didn't make much sense. Maybe he's just decided he's had enough.

I don't think there is a mechanism for a payoff in a mutual termination. If the Sabres had attempted to terminate for a material breach, then the Mike Richards situations shows that could have led to something.

The other thing is that a mutual termination might see us with a cap recapture penalty next season.

I'd still be surprised if the mutual termination happened though.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
There was apparently some talk in Sweden a few years ago about Berglund wanting to return there to play, but it obviously wasn't taken very seriously because it didn't make much sense. Maybe he's just decided he's had enough.

I don't think there is a mechanism for a payoff in a mutual termination. If the Sabres had attempted to terminate for a material breach, then the Mike Richards situations shows that could have led to something.

The other thing is that a mutual termination might see us with a cap recapture penalty next season.

I'd still be surprised if the mutual termination happened though.

Recapture wouldn't apply from what I can tell. Length is less than 6 years and the contract was signed after the cutoff date.

It'll probably be a Sobotka/Kovalchuk sort of situation. He goes to Sweden, but remains suspended without pay from the Sabres.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad