OT: Around the NHL - Currently serving Pasta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Man the stuff chelios and Franzen said about Babcock. Makes Commodore seem sane for why he hates the guy with such a passion. Peters is done and Babcock too.

I wonder how many current coaches feel uneasy af right now and should for doing anything remotely similar.

Commie is definitely a lunatic, but yeah. I thought he was over the top. To have a legit pro like Chelios call him out is pretty crazy.

Also, starting to question Shero as a GM. How has he not fired Hynes yet? This is Bylsma all over again.

Ludwig120

Jun 15, 2019
Man it’s good the Babcock love is over at least I knew there was something not right with him

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Commie is definitely a lunatic, but yeah. I thought he was over the top. To have a legit pro like Chelios call him out is pretty crazy.

Commodore might be unhinged about Babcock but otherwise, he seems like a normal hockey guy to be honest. No more or less weird than the spittin' chiclet morons and those guys are scraping the bottom of the barrel levels of stupid 99% of the time.

But even the Avery story of Crawford, the Hawks are not messing around and already pulled him out and will investigate the whole thing before they let him back. As in, if it happened, what are they planning to do? Fire him? I mean, didn't this guy like put out a "bounty" on Steve Moore? THAT is what people draw the line with, kicked him in the butt? lol.

But I suspect there's a lot of current coaches that are guilty of things like what Crow has done and what Babcock has done, or even worse. What Babs did was petty and spiteful as hell, but it's also stuff I remember hearing about a lot of current and legendary coaches.

Also, starting to question Shero as a GM. How has he not fired Hynes yet? This is Bylsma all over again.

Starting to? There are some GM's that rightfully deserve the crap they got, Fletcher/that other moron in Minnesota, Shero and his liberal usage of 1sts in trades and hanging on to a coach because of past successes...

Shero is so long in the tooth, he should be fired as a GM and just made some Team President somewhere, he doesn't understand how to fix a team at all.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
And current players.

I mean, if Downie were still in the league I'm sure he'd be getting **** for his Aliu [attempted] hazing.
Oh easily, let's not forget James VanBiesbrouck and his usage of one of the most heinous racial slurs towards Trevor Daley.

There's a lot of racist coaches still in the league and I won't slander by throwing names out there, but there's that "culture" still very much alive in the league. The racial slur of an animal towards us black folks are still used to this day, there was probably an incident not so long ago where it was just yelled at by a guy.

If you yell a racial slur even during a heated moment, it doesn't make you someone that just lost control, it makes you someone that is racist that just got outed.

Pens seem to love drawing the line with these things but also ignore their own history which will never not amuse me - Lemieux/Quinn, Tibbetts, Zolnierczyk, Downie...

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Commodore might be unhinged about Babcock but otherwise, he seems like a normal hockey guy to be honest. No more or less weird than the spittin' chiclet morons and those guys are scraping the bottom of the barrel levels of stupid 99% of the time.

But even the Avery story of Crawford, the Hawks are not messing around and already pulled him out and will investigate the whole thing before they let him back. As in, if it happened, what are they planning to do? Fire him? I mean, didn't this guy like put out a "bounty" on Steve Moore? THAT is what people draw the line with, kicked him in the butt? lol.

But I suspect there's a lot of current coaches that are guilty of things like what Crow has done and what Babcock has done, or even worse. What Babs did was petty and spiteful as hell, but it's also stuff I remember hearing about a lot of current and legendary coaches.

Starting to? There are some GM's that rightfully deserve the crap they got, Fletcher/that other moron in Minnesota, Shero and his liberal usage of 1sts in trades and hanging on to a coach because of past successes...

Shero is so long in the tooth, he should be fired as a GM and just made some Team President somewhere, he doesn't understand how to fix a team at all.

Shero traded two 1st while here. One was for Marian Hossa. The other Jarome Iginla.

Rutherford traded 5 1st round picks effectively in six years.

Shero’s biggest sin has been falling in love with his favorites. Bylsma, Orpik, Scuderi, etc.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Shero traded two 1st while here. One was for Marian Hossa. The other Jarome Iginla.

Rutherford traded 5 1st round picks effectively in six years.

Rutherford also has back 2 back cups to show for it, not having 1 cup and wasted years of potential cups because him and Bylsma had friendship bracelets made by Craig Adams. It took 5yrs of 1st round exits for it to sink in. If you can't make it past the 2nd round in more than 3yrs in a row, I'd fire a dude. How is anything going to "change" suddenly in year 4 and 5? It won't. Get a fresher voice in and a new outlook. But you don't like that, because of the.......implications.

Shero focused on fixing the forward group which looked like he finally learned in that regard, but then abandoned the defense and goaltending and again, blind loyalty to a below average head coach. Shero could still fix it all, if he fires Hynes, hires Todd Nelson, trades Hall to a team like the Preds that are still desperate to be over the top good to finally win a cup and see if I can snipe Ekholm and take a 1st from them for taking Turris and a top prospect for Taylor Hall.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Rutherford also has back 2 back cups to show for it, not having 1 cup and wasted years of potential cups because him and Bylsma had friendship bracelets made by Craig Adams. It took 5yrs of 1st round exits for it to sink in. If you can't make it past the 2nd round in more than 3yrs in a row, I'd fire a dude. How is anything going to "change" suddenly in year 4 and 5? It won't. Get a fresher voice in and a new outlook. But you don't like that, because of the.......implications.

Shero focused on fixing the forward group which looked like he finally learned in that regard, but then abandoned the defense and goaltending and again, blind loyalty to a below average head coach. Shero could still fix it all, if he fires Hynes, hires Todd Nelson, trades Hall to a team like the Preds that are still desperate to be over the top good to finally win a cup and see if I can snipe Ekholm and take a 1st from them for taking Turris and a top prospect for Taylor Hall.

That’s great. But, why did you act like Shero trading 1sts was something that ruined the Penguins? We’ve also not made it passed the 1st round twice in JR’s tenure including a sweep.

Shero’s teams got knocked out in the 1st round three times in his tenure and one of those was 2011 so does that really count?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That’s great. But, why did you act like Shero trading 1sts was something that ruined the Penguins? We’ve also not made it passed the 1st round twice in JR’s tenure including a sweep.

Shero’s teams got knocked out in the 1st round three times in his tenure and one of those was 2011 so does that really count?
If you don't make it to your conference finals at least, you've failed as a coach and your Gm, if he fails to make changes to get better, it doesn't matter who he gets, his bench boss is ass.

Shero hasn't learned from that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd be curious what Nashville does. Stacked roster, still can't win it all? I'd give Lavi 2yrs with Duchene before I can him.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Not certain if this was a mistake but someone put up a ticket to the Habs / Islanders game, in the lower bowl, for $50!

Suffice to say I shall be spending the evening watching Matt Barzal play hockey :)

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
They are relatively damning. That being said, Lemieux wasn’t necessarily part of it.
Just apparently in the room but his lawyer will argue Mario was just sleeping like a good boy.

To be fair I don't 100% believe he had any involvement either. But to ignore that incident is still stupid.

Then there's the Doug Gilmore thing in St Louis.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Aside from his absolute undying loyalty to his coaches, the other thing that should be apparent with Shero is that he doesn't really build an identity. He collects pieces that are individually good (some of the time), but that don't really piece together to build an identifiable style the team is trying to play.

Reactions: BHD

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Hynes is not good and Shero is an idiot for hanging on to him, for sure. But maybe Shero's just a bad GM too, eh? He makes a great trade now and then and people forget that he hasn't really done anything as the GM of a team that has had to build a team himself. He's been awful with the Devils, and he won in Pittsburgh on the back of Patrick's core. As soon as he had to really put his mark on the team in terms of building the roster, he stumbled miserably.

Shero and Bylsma probably cost the Sid/Geno era at least one Cup through sheer incompetence alone. The Pyatts, the Comries, the Chris Bourques, the Kobasews, the Winniks, and blueliners like Murray, Eaton, Scuderi, and even Orpik. Just awful rosters that simply wasted years of some of the best players ever to play the game in Sid and Geno.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Nashville’s roster ain’t stacked.

I would say it's finally close to being assembled properly.

I think they could use another forward. But if they don't go on a deep run this year, have to start looking at the core.

Maybe RJ isn't a legit 1C on a contender. Rinne is MAF. Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad