Around The NHL #9 - The Meat Market is Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
5 years x 4.95 for Garland

Damn I was so close at 5x5!

I'd have been okay with that deal here but far more comfortable with 4 years or less.
That is one hell of a deal for a almost a PPG player. Garland will blossom in Vancouver.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It almost makes me sick seeing that contract. I thought the ask was high and that's why BA decided to trade him. Guess not.

The initial ask probably was high - based on the numbers of the deal he signed with Vancouver, I'd guess around $6M with term. Based on how these things usually go, that's just the first offer to kick off what an agent generally considers to be a back-and-forth until they arrive at a compromise deal. I don't think either Garland or his agent figured that Armstrong would shut things down completely after that, based on their communications in the media and online.

All I can think of is that Armstrong is not necessarily a fan of small wingers and was only going to consider holding onto Garland if his initial ask was ballpark reasonable. The first offer was probably BA's excuse to start leveraging Garland for a top draft asset immediately.

I don't know if that's how it all went down, because obviously I wasn't there, but I've been through enough contract negotiations in other sports over the past 20 years that I have a good idea how these things play out.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The initial ask probably was high - based on the numbers of the deal he signed with Vancouver, I'd guess around $6M with term. Based on how these things usually go, that's just the first offer to kick off what an agent generally considers to be a back-and-forth until they arrive at a compromise deal. I don't think either Garland or his agent figured that Armstrong would shut things down completely after that, based on their communications in the media and online.

All I can think of is that Armstrong is not necessarily a fan of small wingers and was only going to consider holding onto Garland if his initial ask was ballpark reasonable. The first offer was probably BA's excuse to start leveraging Garland for a top draft asset immediately.

I don't know if that's how it all went down, because obviously I wasn't there, but I've been through enough contract negotiations in other sports over the past 20 years that I have a good idea how these things play out.
I think it was 3 things: 1, why get locked into a small winger with term, its the easiest position to find replacements. 2, he needed to add something to get rid of OELs contract. 3. BA wanted a top 10 pick.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I think it was 3 things: 1, why get locked into a small winger with term, its the easiest position to find replacements. 2, he needed to add something to get rid of OELs contract. 3. BA wanted a top 10 pick.

#2 and #3 probably the biggest reasons. Had to throw in Garland to make it happen.

Reactions: Painful Quandary

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Can't remember the last time I saw a team redo its top 4 D in one offseason quite like Philly has, now bringing in Yandle, Risto, and Ellis.
Yandle’s a 3rd pair at best and probably more likely a 7th dman once the streak ends.

BigJCaRoach

I howl
Sponsor
Oct 5, 2005
The Desert
We really going to do this all again? Teams sign dick players or “problematic” players all the time. All sports. Been this way forever. Miami Hurricanes. Portland Jailblazers. Michael Vick. Greg Hardy. Convicted rapist Mike Tyson is somehow beloved in pop culture here in 2021??? But they’re allowed to make a living too. And people somehow exist in workplaces while having conflicting political ideologies all the time too. Stop this sh*t. Isn’t it exhausting to complain all the time?

This is hockey. They play hockey. Montreal drafted a defenseman. The ‘Canes are looking to sign one in free agency. And maybe a winger. Cool.

HOCKEY.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Very happy for Conor. He deserves every single green inch of those dollars notes. Probably more, even.

And:

Conor, if your money home is up there, your home is here.

Don't forget to come back when' all said and done.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Hockey is a business, it’s also heavily in the public eye. Businesses must have become more ethical. Sustainability, environment and worker safety are critical. Physical and emotional.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Conor, if your money home is up there, your home is here.

Don't forget to come back when it is all said and done.

Remember the Thomas Wolfe saying. Also remember that when players get traded from the team with whom they assumed they'd spend their whole career, they very rarely either return to it or, indeed, have very positive feelings about them.

Reactions: ParisSaintGermain

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

We all know wingers are the easiest to replace, but not wingers with .80 P/PG making him 16th best producing RW in the NHL, on a team that can't score, and a player that led by example, and literally bleed Coyote red, and played his heart out every shift. These players are not easy to find, let alone replace. All I hear is his body won't stand up, or he will get injured, which is true not only for Garland but for any player.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
We all know wingers are the easiest to replace, but not wingers with .80 P/PG making him 16th best producing RW in the NHL, on a team that can't score, and a player that led by example, and literally bleed Coyote red, and played his heart out every shift. These players are not easy to find, let alone replace. All I hear is his body won't stand up, or he will get injured, which is true not only for Garland but for any player.

Well, now he's gonna piss Canucks green... :D

Reactions: Jakey53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad