Around The NHL #6 - All About The Teams Not Ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Islanders vs Dallas final would be an amazing slug fest. Hope it happens.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Canada's Cup drought hits 27 years.

Edit: 3/4 of the teams in the conference finals are sunbelt - Vegas, Dallas, Tampa. The northernmost will be either Philly or NYI.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
And some people ask "why does Arizona have trouble getting more fans?"
How do you get fans? Win. How do you win? Whelp, so far we’ve tried being a circus side-show of cronyism and nepotism and under qualified goof balls punching waaaaaaay above their weight. Oddly, it hasn’t worked yet.

So what’s the solution? Oh I don’t know, how about Rick Tocchet’s golf and gambling buddy Eddie-O? Or maybe league-schill Peter Chiarelli? Or maybe some rich guy’s son like Karmanos? Or f*** it, just some asshole from TV like Kevin Weekes. Or how about Doaner?!?!?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
How do you get fans? Win. How do you win? Whelp, so far we’ve tried being a circus side-show of cronyism and nepotism and under qualified goof balls punching waaaaaaay above their weight. Oddly, it hasn’t worked yet.

So what’s the solution? Oh I don’t know, how about Rick Tocchet’s golf and gambling buddy Eddie-O? Or maybe league-schill Peter Chiarelli? Or maybe some rich guy’s son like Karmanos? Or f*** it, just some asshole from TV like Kevin Weekes. Or how about Doaner?!?!?
In all honesty we should be glad the team is still here, but it does get old, very old. Hopefully with new ownership things get better. We use to play in front of a SRO arena when the team was good twenty years ago, so the fan base is here we just need signs of life from the organization.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm cheering for Philly. The better they do, the better Hextall's candidacy looks.

Reactions: rt

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm cheering for Philly. The better they do, the better Hextall's candidacy looks.
I'm cheering for Tampa. A sunbelt team giving a finger to everyone north of the 49th. I would think the ownership are well aware of Hextall and his qualifications. Money may be a sticking point, although you have to spend money to make money, and I'm more than certain Meruelo knows this.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The more soul-crushing, you mean. When we pick Karmanos, and Craig learns it was because of “strong connections to the organization” and leaks that Hextall had “interpersonal skills concerns”. That it was really important the GM was a “good communicator”.

Reactions: Grimes

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Following tonight's victory, Vegas takes the lead in playoff wins:

Vegas - 24
Arizona - 23

Vegas has existed for 3 years.

-Vegas had two years to ramp up interest.
-Vegas got to hand pick a roster from existing teams.
-Vegas had no other pro sports team in town.
-Vegas had an owner with money.

What we got Chauncey???

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
This franchise is full if excuses, some of them good ones, but the bottom line is you have to get it done.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not one single person thought Vegas was going to be anything but a bottom feeder after the expansion draft results.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
1)Look at my post above at what Vegas has to work with.

2)Then go back and look at what the Coyotes have had.

3)Profit

The Coyotes best year came with no ownership and a skeleton crew at the helm. Stop making excuses for them.

Reactions: Fuhrious

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Not one single person thought Vegas was going to be anything but a bottom feeder after the expansion draft results.
Eh, that's not really true. I don't think they had super high expectations, but I remember being pretty impressed. Didn't they have three or four 30 goal scorers after the off-season settled?

Doesn't make the Coyotes less inept.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Part of the issue is the NHL just threw the Coyotes into the Phoenix market as a last resort, after having told Colangelo, I think, that they weren't pursuing Phoenix (hence the arena not accommodating hockey). The Coyotes were to move to Minnesota, but that fell through so they wound up in Phoenix last minute. That gave them no time to prep the market and put them into a situation of needing to find a new stadium essentially from day one. The team had more economic issues that they were expected to solve on their own before day one even began. I don't think any other team has started from as bad of footing.

At the very least, Las Vegas' success, and to an extent the NHL continuing to assist the Coyotes financially to whatever degree, has shone the league has somewhat learned from its mistakes and will aid in new teams building up their fanbases. Investing more early pays off so much more when people are willing to give the new team a chance rather than come back to a team that's been on and off life-support for two decades. The rest of the league got to take advantage of a floundering team for years, padding their win totals and thus selling more tickets, as well as drawing more in from TV deals, so it's at least good new franchises don't seem to have to go through this kind of nightmare again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln