Around the NHL #5 (The Mike Smith Tracking Thread Returns)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The "Dave quit" scenario makes no sense. You don't pay people to quit. You pay them when their contract is terminated.

Still, Dave quit.

His pal Drummond was bought out, and he didn't see eye to eye with either Barroway or Chayka. Add to that, his years-long losing streak was making him look really bad. So he took a buyout. I don't know why this is such a point of contention. We got what we wanted, right?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Still, Dave quit.

His pal Drummond was bought out, and he didn't see eye to eye with either Barroway or Chayka. Add to that, his years-long losing streak was making him look really bad. So he took a buyout. I don't know why this is such a point of contention. We got what we wanted, right?
I know for sure he didn't see eye to eye with Barroway and Chayka, also felt like he needed a change. They would have kept him otherwise, both sides agreed to part ways.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I know for sure he didn't see eye to eye with Barroway and Chayka, also felt like he needed a change. They would have kept him otherwise, both sides agreed to part ways.
I don't know how you or anyone knows for sure what really happened, but I do believe DT and Chayka saw eye to eye, but AB thought he knew best. That's my opinion, but who knows, and really who cares any more. Both parties got what they wanted. I just want the playoffs.:)

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
McDavid is out a few weeks. Now is the time to play catch up

Yikes. This is why it is scary to build a team around one player. Pittsburgh was always so lucky to have Malkin, and while EDM has Leon D. I just don't see him carrying the team the same way Geno has. The supporting cast is pretty night and day between the two teams as well.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Drai has outplayed Connor in several games I've seen this year. Not sure it is a death sentence. Definitely doesn't help them. One line teams are easier to shut down (see Coyotes, 2019-20).

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

Never wanted to win like that. But I'm that weird Norwegian fan.

Talking about Norwegians: will be fun to see if Zuccarello can heat up Galchenyuk. Wouldn't surprise me. All the tank-heads in Minny is gonna explode.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Pretty surprising. Strome looked like a great fit in Chicago. I'm sure the trade motivated him to play his best when he first arrived. I think drafted Dach probably shot his confidence to some degree. The coach is on year two as well and probably needs wins over the young players putting up points and Strome is really hot and cold defensively. Skating was always his concern and may be his downfall.

Wonder what happens to him when it's time to negotiate a contract. He could be on the fast track towards OTT or Detroit, aka last stop for AZ prospects.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I am certain that when Schmaltz was out with injury last year that I was told we lost this trade. What changed?
Kirby Dach and a concussion. Plus some hard decisions to make this offseason re: contract extensions and cap, so you guys can hate on him some more when/if he gets traded to open up cap.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Honestly we got a lost year of Schmaltz last season and Chicago is having a just about lost one of Strome this season. Difference is we have Schmaltz locked up for a while and Chicago may have to move their asset already for cap purposes.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
In the series of odd takes around the league I have now reached the Calgary Flames.

Their player Mikael Backlund was minus -21 in the 17-18 season, pluss 34 in 18-19, and so far a straight zero in 53 games this season. I know, I know, +/-. But still.

That was - odd.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Concussed and dealing with an ankle injury.

Schmaltz disappeared and has no excuse. He's also not a large natural center. So no, the Coyotes didn't 'win' that trade. It's still a colossal pile of stupid by the organization.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I think I'd be happier if we never drafted Strome and didn't get Schmaltz in the trade.

I like Schmaltz more than Strome. I really hated Strome. I don't really care for Schmaltz. He's too inconsistent. But I'm happier to have Schmaltz than Strome.

Reactions: Fuhrious

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

That's not a fair assessment. 1 point since January 1st is misleading. The Hawks have played 14 games in that span, but Strome missed 7 of them with injury.

A more representative sample would be the 14 games he played for the Hawks just BEFORE his ankle injury. He had 10pts in those 14gp, which is 0.71ppg.

Strome's '19-'20 YTD PPG is 0.68. Schmaltz's '19-'20 YTD PPG is 0.67. Both are disappointing.

Reactions: Jakey53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad