Around the NHL #5 (The Mike Smith Tracking Thread Returns)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Yeah, replace him with a nice awe shucks Ontario boy. Also, with Barrie being the latest Jake Gardiner style whipping boy, they’re really going to need some defense. OEL+Hayton. ;)
Done:)

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Rumor was Galchenyuk was a healthy scratch tonight against Tampa and Pittsburgh put a defenseman in his wing slot.:biglaugh:

Just checked though and he is playing.... 1:52 TOI so far after one period. :eek2:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Rumor was Galchenyuk was a healthy scratch tonight against Tampa and Pittsburgh put a defenseman in his wing slot.:biglaugh:

Just checked though and he is playing.... 1:52 TOI so far after one period. :eek2:

He hasn't even been that bad.

P/60
Chucky - 1.54
Kessel - 1.00

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Phil not great, but still say we won that trade...unless POJ breaks out.

upload_2020-2-6_15-3-26.png

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Phil not great, but still say we won that trade...unless POJ breaks out.

Where does this completely garbage comparison tool that ignores TOI and zone deployment come from? I assume it's a fantasy tool since it counts more PIMs as a positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: MIG

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
On the outside looking in for the first time in a while. We have managed 12 points out of 40 in the past 20 game’s. Completely fireable offense in any job, really. Especially if the objective is to make the playoffs.

I honestly don’t know what the hell happened to this team. Keller has been one of the worst players I’ve ever seen. Kessel isn’t even an eighth of the player he was the past 5 seasons. Schmaltz has seemed to find comfort hiding behind Hall. OEL’s seems to have regressed so much that he’s hardly a good 7th D.

Raanta is made of glass. The coaching staff has no answers. We play like a bunch of p***yes.

The only bright spots have been Hall, Garland, Dvorak, Kuemper and Chychrun.

Starting to question Chayka. He has assembled a relatively good roster on paper but it’s starting to show how soft and gutless we are.

The big thing here is, is people are actually starting to show up to James this year and in the middle of a playoff race it’s the same coyotes as years past. We’re going to lose a lot of these casual fans, many of them being first timers.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
On the outside looking in for the first time in a while. We have managed 12 points out of 40 in the past 20 game’s. Completely fireable offense in any job, really. Especially if the objective is to make the playoffs.

I honestly don’t know what the hell happened to this team. Keller has been one of the worst players I’ve ever seen. Kessel isn’t even an eighth of the player he was the past 5 seasons. Schmaltz has seemed to find comfort hiding behind Hall. OEL’s seems to have regressed so much that he’s hardly a good 7th D.

Raanta is made of glass. The coaching staff has no answers. We play like a bunch of *****es.

The only bright spots have been Hall, Garland, Dvorak, Kuemper and Chychrun.

Starting to question Chayka. He has assembled a relatively good roster on paper but it’s starting to show how soft and gutless we are.

The big thing here is, is people are actually starting to show up to James this year and in the middle of a playoff race it’s the same coyotes as years past. We’re going to lose a lot of these casual fans, many of them being first timers.
"It's starting to show how soft and gutless we are"? Starting? This is the same soft team as last year. Speaking of Chayka, most on this board, including me, thought most of his trades and moves have been good. Yes we are soft, but I think we are vastly under performing at the moment, and that is all on RT and his highly sought after, highly thought of assistant coaches. None of our coaches have had success as a NHL HC, none, so why is it a surprise we are struggling at this time of year when physicality and coaching become more important. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
He has assembled a relatively good roster on paper...

And therein lies the key to EVERYTHING Chayka does.

Chayka as a GM works as if he's playing EHM or FHM. Everything he's done as a GM has looked almost exactly what someone would do if they were playing a management sim and wanted to maximize their assets. On paper, everything Chayka's done makes sense and is a distinct step towards improving the franchise.

Problem is, human beings aren't made of paper (except Raanta HAR). And that's what Chayka either doesn't get or can't get past.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Chayka as a GM works as if he's playing EHM or FHM. Everything he's done as a GM has looked almost exactly what someone would do if they were playing a management sim and wanted to maximize their assets. On paper, everything Chayka's done makes sense and is a distinct step towards improving the franchise.

Problem is, human beings aren't made of paper (except Raanta HAR). And that's what Chayka either doesn't get or can't get past.

Perhaps the problem with being an analytics geek. Grit, tenacity, and determination don't always show up on the stat sheet.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I liked Domi, Duclair and Strome. Hell I liked Murphy and DeAngleo too. I got laughed at a few months ago when I posted I would have preferred we made no trades to the ones we've made the last few years. I certainly don't like how soft we are and that we're led by Captain Diver. I give him credit for the Kuemper deal. That was great but I highly doubt he thought he was trading for one of the best goalies in the league. Has he really done anything that screams genius or even top ten GM? He got an owner with money finally and he signed a bunch of guys coming off injury and/or haven't proven they deserve their contracts. He traded a lot of futures for a rental when he has a fringe playoff roster not built to handle playoff hockey. I didn't get all the love before and I still don't. At this point, unless he swings a miracle trade for Matthews, I think his roster and coaching build has been less than satisfactory. On the other hand, it's not unexpected considering his lack of experience coming in.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

This is typical of inexperienced management. I am not saying Chayka has done a bad job or that all of his trades and signings are bad. I think it is mixed at this point. Unless and until you have done it before and has some success, it is difficult to really know the next steps and the right steps. Chayka and Tocc have never won at this level in their respective roles, so we have 2 inexperienced managers at the helm now.

The team is skidding, so what do either of them do next? They haven't been in this situation to know how to pull the Coyotes out of the skid. That doesn't mean they can't figure it out or won't figure it out, they might, I am just not sure now.

Although Tip didn't say it, I wonder if part of him leaving was not wanting to be under an inexperienced GM calling the shots? The Oilers have a much better chance of weathering storms with Holland/Tip at the helm, they are both proven managers. Hockey isn't different then managing any other business, now its complicated with a ton of moving parts, but experienced managers are always a better bet to man the ship when it's stormy.

Reactions: Surfshop

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Looking at the standings this morning and noticed there are only 2 teams with a worse record over their last 10 games. The Coyotes are 2-5-3 (7 pts). Only LA 1-8-1 (for those of you with short memories, that lone win was against the Coyotes) and DET 1-8-1 also, are worse.

Trust the process.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is typical of inexperienced management. I am not saying Chayka has done a bad job or that all of his trades and signings are bad. I think it is mixed at this point. Unless and until you have done it before and has some success, it is difficult to really know the next steps and the right steps. Chayka and Tocc have never won at this level in their respective roles, so we have 2 inexperienced managers at the helm now.

The team is skidding, so what do either of them do next? They haven't been in this situation to know how to pull the Coyotes out of the skid. That doesn't mean they can't figure it out or won't figure it out, they might, I am just not sure now.

Although Tip didn't say it, I wonder if part of him leaving was not wanting to be under an inexperienced GM calling the shots? The Oilers have a much better chance of weathering storms with Holland/Tip at the helm, they are both proven managers. Hockey isn't different then managing any other business, now its complicated with a ton of moving parts, but experienced managers are always a better bet to man the ship when it's stormy.
I thought you said the Oilers are going to slide and the Yotes would over take them? :)Many of us on this board thought it would be beneficial for the team to hire an experienced hockey man for Chayka to report to. That did not happen, and now, like you said, we have two inexperienced guys trying to right the ship.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I thought you said the Oilers are going to slide and the Yotes would over take them? :)Many of us on this board thought it would be beneficial for the team to hire an experienced hockey man for Chayka to report to. That did not happen, and now, like you said, we have two inexperienced guys trying to right the ship.
20 games ago, yes that is correct, when our team D was excellent. I'm not talking about us versus the Oilers, I'm talking about experienced management. Hiring somebody experienced to be over Chayka makes sense versus hiring somebody under him. Who with experience would answer to Chayka at his age anyway?

Theoretically, Tocc has experience as a player, assistant coach, some head coaching, he should be able to get us through this tough time. Chayka has zero experience. Our new owner is an experienced business man but he is unlikely to make abrupt changes midstream. I bet Chayka/Tocc/Muerello wait it out until the summer to evaluate, chips will fall where they may at this point.

Reactions: Jakey53

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

Tip left because he was fired. There was no other part.

Reactions: _Del_ and Mosby
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad