Around the NHL #5 (The Mike Smith Tracking Thread Returns)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ171181

Sep 27, 2019
Bochum
Watched the Vegas game.
I mean, i really don’t like that team AND they are our opponent, but... THIS is crunch time hockey. Whatta fight, goals, checks, everything, pure emotion.

We have to admit, the Coyotes are a nhl team, but not a real contender for this league.
No idea what can break this curse.
Empty and frustrated. Again and again...

Reactions: MIG and 0point1

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I'm no particular fan of Vegas, but I have to give them credit for coming in off expansion determined to build a really strong team culture right out of the gate. Can't help but wonder if Seattle will be able to follow in their footsteps or if it's lighting in a bottle.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
When I see these coaches with actual success to their names in terms of getting to the playoffs and such getting fired when their teams aren't playing as poorly as the Yotes have been... it drives me nuts.

What in the world has RT done to deserve this slack? We are just being clowns at this point.... no, we are the whole freaking circus.

Ps, funny they are "3 points back of the Yotes" but they have 3 games in hand lol. So the Yotes just gotta hope that the Wild play like the Yotes have been! Same goes for Nashville, Winnipeg and even Chicago can catch up.

Winnipeg has to lose both games in hand in regulation just to keep the Yotes in the playoff spot.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Wild blowing a 2-goal lead and subsequently losing to the Rangers in the OT SO appears to have been the final nail?

Forgot Dean Evason was still there as an Assistant, first time NHL HC gig unless I'm mistaken. Hate to see him do well when it means the Coyotes could suffer the direct consequences, but good luck to him there. He's definitely paid his dues, and had a pretty great track record in the AHL

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
When I see these coaches with actual success to their names in terms of getting to the playoffs and such getting fired when their teams aren't playing as poorly as the Yotes have been... it drives me nuts.

What in the world has RT done to deserve this slack? We are just being clowns at this point.... no, we are the whole freaking circus.

Ps, funny they are "3 points back of the Yotes" but they have 3 games in hand lol. So the Yotes just gotta hope that the Wild play like the Yotes have been! Same goes for Nashville, Winnipeg and even Chicago can catch up.

Winnipeg has to lose both games in hand in regulation just to keep the Yotes in the playoff spot.

The coaching carousel is a fickle thing. Winnipeg just extended Paul Maurice despite them underperforming with the roster they have.

Same thing goes for players. One thing that sticks out with me is the notion Taylor Hall can’t play well with others. Is it that, or is it that he operates at such a high level other players can’t adapt themselves to play with him? I say that because one of the things Tocchet said to him was “we will adapt to how you play.”

It looked as if Garland and Dvorak did that. I was puzzled with the switch last game putting Garland with Schmaltz and Keller, but Garland is like a fox hound on the puck and it might have been an attempt to wake those two up.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The coaching carousel is a fickle thing. Winnipeg just extended Paul Maurice despite them underperforming with the roster they have.

Same thing goes for players. One thing that sticks out with me is the notion Taylor Hall can’t play well with others. Is it that, or is it that he operates at such a high level other players can’t adapt themselves to play with him? I say that because one of the things Tocchet said to him was “we will adapt to how you play.”

It looked as if Garland and Dvorak did that. I was puzzled with the switch last game putting Garland with Schmaltz and Keller, but Garland is like a fox hound on the puck and it might have been an attempt to wake those two up.
I dont think there is a case for the suggestion that Winnipeg is underperforming.

Reactions: Jakey53

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I dont think there is a case for the suggestion that Winnipeg is underperforming.

Given who they thought they were 2 years ago, and those current standings in that division, they definitely are. If it's injuries or no Byfuglien, so be it. But if you're a fan of that team you can't be happy.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I was puzzled with the switch last game putting Garland with Schmaltz and Keller, but Garland is like a fox hound on the puck and it might have been an attempt to wake those two up.

Garland was playing with Step and Crouse, wasn't he? Unless I missed something toward the end of that game (very possible).

We're down a goal so Tocc was looking for additional scoring, we can either get that by doubleshifting our big line / giving them each 18 mins a night (not sure why we don't do that) or breaking them up / trying to juice some other lines.

Personally don't have a problem with the idea of splitting them up, Garland is one of only two players (Hall) we have who can make offense with anyone and the top line still generated offense with Vinnie. Garland was less than 15 minutes though which can't happen when you're down at least a goal for the entire game.

This isn't the 'fire tocchet' thread but man it always seems like it comes back to that

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Garland was playing with Step and Crouse, wasn't he? Unless I missed something toward the end of that game (very possible).

We're down a goal so Tocc was looking for additional scoring, we can either get that by doubleshifting our big line / giving them each 18 mins a night (not sure why we don't do that) or breaking them up / trying to juice some other lines.

Personally don't have a problem with the idea of splitting them up, Garland is one of only two players (Hall) we have who can make offense with anyone and the top line still generated offense with Vinnie. Garland was less than 15 minutes though which can't happen when you're down at least a goal for the entire game.

This isn't the 'fire tocchet' thread but man it always seems like it comes back to that

Lines we’re getting changed around some in game. So you were probably right.

Not trying to focus on Tocchet here. Just looking at some possibilities as to why some of these changes are going on.

Reactions: Surfshop

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Given who they thought they were 2 years ago, and those current standings in that division, they definitely are. If it's injuries or no Byfuglien, so be it. But if you're a fan of that team you can't be happy.

Exactly.... they had their first non sellouts this year. Fans are beginning to get restless paying the ticket prices they’re charged there for the product they’re getting.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
They lost 3 of their top 4 D this summer and that was amplified by one of them screwing the team. No idea how the coach can counteract that? To be still in the hunt is incredible.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Exactly.... they had their first non sellouts this year. Fans are beginning to get restless paying the ticket prices they’re charged there for the product they’re getting.

I don't know. WPG has elite forwards but their defense is one of the worst in the NHL on paper. Neal Pionk and Morrisey (both of whom I like) as their top pair? Come on. The only reason they're even sniffing the playoffs is that Hellebuyck has been out of his mind most of this year.

Your point makes sense though. Their forwards are ridiculous (Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers etc), mgmt decided not to re-sign last year's d-corps (Trouba, Myers, Ben Chiarot) so basically their D is stuck together with bubble gum and ductape. Like you said though absolutely elite forwards, if they kept a few of their D this should be a cup contending team

Edit: just saw your post Jamieh, agree and also see the other side. imo both sides have a point here

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It’s a fickle world.

Boudreau’s firing comes after Zucker gets traded. Ninny’s not in that of a spot but the GM is willing to dump people anyway.

Sounds a lot like the GM is in the hot seat right now.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm more so surprised they fired Boudreau when his contract was up in April anyway. Figured they'd just ride it out. Obviously want to get a look at the assistant early.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don't know. WPG has elite forwards but their defense is one of the worst in the NHL on paper. Neal Pionk and Morrisey (both of whom I like) as their top pair? Come on. The only reason they're even sniffing the playoffs is that Hellebuyck has been out of his mind most of this year.

Your point makes sense though. Their forwards are ridiculous (Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers etc), mgmt decided not to re-sign last year's d-corps (Trouba, Myers, Ben Chiarot) so basically their D is stuck together with bubble gum and ductape. Like you said though absolutely elite forwards, if they kept a few of their D this should be a cup contending team

Edit: just saw your post Jamieh, agree and also see the other side. imo both sides have a point here
They couldn't sign them as Buff was eating the Cap space, that's where they got screwed. They got neither of Buff or the Cap space. If Buff was gone I would bet at least one of Chariot or Myers is a Jet.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'm more so surprised they fired Boudreau when his contract was up in April anyway. Figured they'd just ride it out. Obviously want to get a look at the assistant early.
He has a 2 year Consultant part to his contract. I'm also surprised he was fired though.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Coaches tend to get re-upped early or fired. They don't get left to ride out the season as a lame duck very often.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

He had the team surging late and Guerin wants to tank. They also did him a favor by getting him out there before the end of the season.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Lots of misconceptions about the Wild these last few posts. Source is various Michael Russo articles and podcasts. It's a shame the Coyotes dont have a beat writer anywhere near his level. Anyway...

The Zucker trade is a move to align the roster composition going forward. Russo goes over in pretty extensive detail how the Wild are loaded with wingers and thin down the middle. Then consider their top prospect, Kaprisov, is projected to come over from the KHL next year, and is a winger. He even goes into considerable detail who can play on their off-wing, who might even PREFER to play on their off-wing, etc. who is realistically even tradeable (ie. Zuccarello NMC, Greenway selling low), and Zucker was the natural choice. The team and fanbase love him, his wife cant follow him to Pittsburgh because of family reasons, but it's the smart business move.

Guerin absolutely isnt on the hot seat and the team isnt looking to tank. Russo frequently comments on how the Wild set their team financials based on the team making at least one round of the playoffs. Not making them would be a massive blow. Boudreau has been on and off the hot seat all season long, due to their horrendous start.

Russo frequently mentions the team is (like the Coyotes) really weak down the middle. Staal isnt a "facilitator" C, more of a triggerman, and Koivu has been equal parts injured and past it. The Wild are deep defensively similar to the Coyotes, so still lots of rumors that the team is looking to deal from their defense, Dumba and Brodin in particular. The main difference is the Wild's goaltending this year has been average at best, and more often than not pretty poor. Dubnyk is coming off a second subpar season and has had to take extended leave for family issues a couple months ago. Stalock is a very popular player in the dressing room, but was widely considered a sub-par backup prior to getting thrown into the starting role in Dubnyk's absense. Russo recently labeled his performance as uneven but better than expected, but that the team still has a huge hole to fill in net.

Guerin is very popular in Minny and has the full support of the owner there. The team is expected to make the playoffs, full stop. I'm envious that they have a GM and Owner who take that seriously enough to try to shake up the room when they're within striking distance of making it happen, as well as make tough moves to improve the roster composition overall.

If only the Coyotes, both team and front office, were so motivated...

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Lots of misconceptions about the Wild these last few posts. Source is various Michael Russo articles and podcasts. It's a shame the Coyotes dont have a beat writer anywhere near his level. Anyway...

The Zucker trade is a move to align the roster composition going forward. Russo goes over in pretty extensive detail how the Wild are loaded with wingers and thin down the middle. Then consider their top prospect, Kaprisov, is projected to come over from the KHL next year, and is a winger. He even goes into considerable detail who can play on their off-wing, who might even PREFER to play on their off-wing, etc. who is realistically even tradeable (ie. Zuccarello NMC, Greenway selling low), and Zucker was the natural choice. The team and fanbase love him, his wife cant follow him to Pittsburgh because of family reasons, but it's the smart business move.

Guerin absolutely isnt on the hot seat and the team isnt looking to tank. Russo frequently comments on how the Wild set their team financials based on the team making at least one round of the playoffs. Not making them would be a massive blow. Boudreau has been on and off the hot seat all season long, due to their horrendous start.

Russo frequently mentions the team is (like the Coyotes) really weak down the middle. Staal isnt a "facilitator" C, more of a triggerman, and Koivu has been equal parts injured and past it. The Wild are deep defensively similar to the Coyotes, so still lots of rumors that the team is looking to deal from their defense, Dumba and Brodin in particular. The main difference is the Wild's goaltending this year has been average at best, and more often than not pretty poor. Dubnyk is coming off a second subpar season and has had to take extended leave for family issues a couple months ago. Stalock is a very popular player in the dressing room, but was widely considered a sub-par backup prior to getting thrown into the starting role in Dubnyk's absense. Russo recently labeled his performance as uneven but better than expected, but that the team still has a huge hole to fill in net.

Guerin is very popular in Minny and has the full support of the owner there. The team is expected to make the playoffs, full stop. I'm envious that they have a GM and Owner who take that seriously enough to try to shake up the room when they're within striking distance of making it happen, as well as make tough moves to improve the roster composition overall.

If only the Coyotes, both team and front office, were so motivated...
How does this trade help Minny down the middle. Please tell me there isn't a GM out there who still thinks Galchenyuk is an NHL center. In the short term this trade made Minny worse, long term is yet to be seen.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Galchenyuk is salary on an expiring deal. The real return was the 1st round pick and the D prospect.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I havent had a chance to listen to his latest podcast from a couple days ago, which appears to talk about the Zucker trade. If you are so inclined, I'd definitely recommend "The Russo-Souhan Show" on whatever podcast app you can find it on. It's a very good listen, even for non-Wild fanatics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad