Around the NHL #5 (The Mike Smith Tracking Thread Returns)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Did NJ just get more for Coleman than they did for Hall? Shows how valuable Cap Space is.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Did NJ just get more for Coleman than they did for Hall? Shows how valuable Cap Space is.
Coleman is severely underrated. Great on the PK, scoring threat 5v5 with next to no PP time. Great two-way player.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Coleman is severely underrated. Great on the PK, scoring threat 5v5 with next to no PP time. Great two-way player.
So is Stepan, so I've been told. We should make out like bandits it we trade him.:sarcasm:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I wouldn’t have given up one of those pieces for Coleman, let alone both. Wtf.

If it’s a sellers market like this I hope we cast off some spare pieces but still try to compete for a playoff spot.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
I wouldn’t have given up one of those pieces for Coleman, let alone both. Wtf.
A player like Coleman, on a cheap contract for another year is worth a lot for a team like Tampa. I can see why they did it. I don't see this trade as an indication that prices for rentals or spare parts are high.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Seems like a comparative bargain when considering Coleman.

Coleman drives the play and is a defensive stud, Toffoli is a very mediocre top 6 winger in every respect.

The price the Lightning paid in this trade doesn’t seem on the surface to support the idea that Coleman is undervalued. But in another way, he is. He’s in the second year of a three year deal that only pays him $1.8 million per season. When he signed that deal, he’d already posted one excellent season in which he was the second best defensive forward in the NHL and 65th best overall according to Wins Above Replacement from Evolving Hockey. Those are first line impacts.

He didn’t quite sustain that level last year but he’s back to being excellent this season posting top ten defensive impacts in terms of expected goals both at even strength and while shorthanded. By WAR, he’s posted the 14th best even strength defensive results and is 39th in total WAR among forwards in the entire NHL. Again, those are comfortably first line impacts.

Trade Analysis: Blake Coleman is a perfect if pricey fit for a win now Lightning team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad