Around the NHL 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
they've probably given up on the season and are gonna look at their goalie situation during the summer.

I dont think they've given up, but they might not be in a spot to make a splash trade. I would guess firing Ruff and putting Green in a HC is probably the biggest move they will make the rest of the season. See if a new voice can give them a big enough of a boost to push for the playoffs.

If someone ponies up enough, they could trade Toffoli, in which case, then I think they would pretty much be done.

Reactions: dracom

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
I think it doesn't hurt that WJ and Stank are sheltered behind a true #1 line of Robertson/Hintz/JoePA (that line avg like 30% of ev ice time), so they get easier matchups. Dallas top 4 D are also miles better than anything Ducks are throwing out there so that doesn't hurt either

Whereas ducklings have no where to hide

Reactions: anezthes

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I don't think it's about taking one over the other. It's just nice to hit your late 1sts and 2nds so much. We have had some D's we got there over the past decade but not lately, and we've skipped over some REALLY good NHL forwards and prospects. So has Dallas, but it feels we're on a down trend lately, so much that I'm not that intrigued about draft picks in trades anymore

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
We have had some D's we got there over the past decade but not lately... we're on a down trend lately...

Zell and Hinds were drafted in 2021. Luneau 2022 and Dionicio 2023. Not recent/promising enough? :D

Reactions: Deuce22

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
You'd rather have Johnston over McTavish and Stank over Zell?
That's not really the issue. It was more about admiring Dallas getting those guys at 23OA and 47OA. That's really impressive. And they've done it pretty consistently over the past few years. Hintz, Harley, Bourque, Oettinger, Robertson were all late 1st or 2nd round picks. That's an outstanding draft record and puts most teams (including the Ducks) to shame.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
That's not really the issue. It was more about admiring Dallas getting those guys at 23OA and 47OA. That's really impressive. And they've done it pretty consistently over the past few years. Hintz, Harley, Bourque, Oettinger, Robertson were all late 1st or 2nd round picks. That's an outstanding draft record and puts most teams (including the Ducks) to shame.
It doesn’t put the Ducks to shame, we just have that type of drafting on the defensive side. I do wish we could hit on a forward outside of the top 10 though.

Reactions: lwvs84

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
It doesn’t put the Ducks to shame, we just have that type of drafting on the defensive side. I do wish we could hit on a forward outside of the top 10 though.
I'll stand by my comment. Outside of the top 10, who have the Ducks picked in the 1st or 2nd rounds that even hold a candle to the names I mentioned? I think the answer is no one.

Agree with your 2nd sentence whole-heartedly.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I'll stand by my comment. Outside of the top 10, who have the Ducks picked in the 1st or 2nd rounds that even hold a candle to the names I mentioned? I think the answer is no one.

Agree with your 2nd sentence whole-heartedly.
Zellweger? Luneau? I mean are they Robertson yet? No, but they haven’t been given time yet to become that impactful. I’d even include LaCombe, as I think he’ll end up a top 4 D for us.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Zellweger? Luneau? I mean are they Robertson yet? No, but they haven’t been given time yet to become that impactful. I’d even include LaCombe, as I think he’ll end up a top 4 D for us.
Time will tell but I hope you're right. Forward ranks look pretty bleak which I guess is the focus of my discontent. So many misses...

Reactions: ScarTroy

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Time will tell but I hope you're right. Forward ranks look pretty bleak which I guess is the focus of my discontent. So many misses...
100% agree, our forward drafting is a mess. We haven’t found a impactful player with a late 1st or after since Rakell. That needs to change.

Edit: Terry is the only one.

Reactions: Mr Rogers and tomd

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
100% agree, our forward drafting is a mess. We haven’t found a impactful player with a late 1st or after since Rakell. That needs to change.

And yet every so often we’ll see arguments to the contrary, often based on a total games played metric.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017

Terry in the 5th (2015), Kase in the 7th (2014) before concussions took him away. The franchise has gotten virtually nothing out of picks 25-100 up front for years now; even one impact forward out of that group completely changes the calculus of this team's top-9.

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
LOL @ Ryan Johansen getting dumped by col and then waived. Happy trails motherf***er

Too bad Torts didn't get a chance to ream his ass a new one even for just one game before they waived his loser ass

Last edited:

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Terry in the 5th (2015), Kase in the 7th (2014) before concussions took him away. The franchise has gotten virtually nothing out of picks 25-100 up front for years now; even one impact forward out of that group completely changes the calculus of this team's top-9.

We used up our late 1st karma credit when we drafted a future Hart winner with a 28th pick. It's gonna take decades of misses before the scales balance.

Reactions: TheGoodShepard1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln