Around the NHL 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I always hated trash talk and taunting, on both sides. Respect your opponent and just play the game.

Man, you would have hated playing against me lol Trash talk and taunting has never had anything to do with respect in my opinion; granted there are always lines in the sand. Getzlaf and Doughty talked trash and provoked eachother all the time and were good friends off the ice. Its competition. Its the game inside of the game.

There is too much testosterone and adrenaline pumping to sing kumbaya and just play the game.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
My point was that water polo is not a good example because the sport is nothing like hockey.

And trust me, there was plenty of posturing and bravado at practice. Especially coming from the varsity players directed at the freshmen.
The previous poster's point was that all sports are like that to some degree, and that removing that element worsens them. I strongly disagree. Sports would be just as enjoyable to play and watch if you remove the chest-thumping, trash-talking, revenge-for-some-perceived-slight elements.

There is too much testosterone and adrenaline pumping to sing kumbaya and just play the game.
Again, I couldn't disagree more. Get out there, play hard, play passionately, play joyously, and respect the fact that your opponent is doing the same. At the end, shake their hand and go on your way.

I'll drop it now.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
1000007452.jpg

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Figured they'd at least wait until the offseason, but I guess it makes sense to do it now since that's when GMs do most of their work.

Babcock fiasco had to be the final nail in the coffin.
It felt so.

But yeah, they should be able to at least onboard the new GM before the draft and preare to go into that new whatever direction and hope they're not at the bottom anymore the next drafts. Make sense from the team standpoint IMO.

Anyway, Jarmo's teams had some incredible runs and felt like he was going all in lately tooking on more risks

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Figured they'd at least wait until the offseason, but I guess it makes sense to do it now since that's when GMs do most of their work.

Babcock certainly added to it but after all the big moves they have made and to still be 4th worst in the league at this point, its not a surprise he got let go. If Babcock was the final nail, I think he would have been fired months ago.

But ya, save themselves from a situation like what happened between us and VAN when we were trying to trade for Kesler at the deadline. GM is trying to do something but ownership has no faith in the guy and will just veto any of his potential moves. Let the next GM makes the moves he needs to fit his vision, and let ownership/front office facilitate any possible short term moves now.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017

I would have thought they would want to avoid a regime change with the TDL right around the corner but maybe Jarmo had some terrible TDL ideas lol

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Jackets still being this bad despite the investment over the last couple off seasons has gotta sting for the fanbase. 1 playoff series win in 25 years of existence (I guess 2 if you count the COVID year over Toronto)

Reactions: Kalv

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Jackets still being this bad despite the investment over the last couple off seasons has gotta sting for the fanbase. 1 playoff series win in 25 years of existence (I guess 2 if you count the COVID year over Toronto)
A good reason why the ducks just have to suck it up and keep rebuilding the next 2 years

Reactions: 2faded

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
I'll be the first to admit I got Byfield very wrong. I saw a player who dominated juniors because he was physically gifted and advanced. His IQ seemed okay but it was really his intensity level that I thought was going to hold him back, he just seemed so passive when I watched him, even at the junior level and especially at the WJC.

I don't know what switch flipped with him but he's a completely different looking player this season. Very engaged and high compete level.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'll be the first to admit I got Byfield very wrong. I saw a player who dominated juniors because he was physically gifted and advanced. His IQ seemed okay but it was really his intensity level that I thought was going to hold him back, he just seemed so passive when I watched him, even at the junior level and especially at the WJC.

I don't know what switch flipped with him but he's a completely different looking player this season. Very engaged and high compete level.
Then you have Adam Fantilli another player who was also big and fast but questionable IQ and he's much better at 18 than Byfield was, perhaps cause Fantilli already has a high compete level. It'll be interesting to see how Fantilli looks at 20, if he continues to progress faster than Byfield.

Reactions: Vinegar Strokes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland