Around the NHL 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Forsling getting that big contract (and Cats fans are seeing it as a steal). A crazy story, as they got him from waivers. I always remember him as he was kind of neck-to-neck with Larsson when they both were coming up.

Well, we got another Gustav – Lindatrom. Start is intriguing hope he can become a same story for us :laugh:

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Welp, here we go again.

San Jose Sharks sued over child sex abuse cover-up - San José Spotlight

A recently filed lawsuit claims Sharks Sports & Entertainment covered up a Jr. Sharks coach’s alleged grooming and sexual abuse of child hockey players.

At the center of the allegations is a former San Jose Jr. Sharks hockey coach who the lawsuit accuses of inappropriately touching players under the guise of medical evaluations, asking for photos of kids’ bodies and taking them to the locker room alone in April 2021 at the Sharks Ice skating rink — the official training facility for the National Hockey League team.

The lawsuit also states that an employee in charge of the locker room was not only ignored by Sharks management when she raised concerns about Whitmer, but that she was terminated shortly after doing so.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Narrator: The Avs did not acquire a goaltender

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
This might be McDavids best season yet. Oilers were completely buried and he’s just dragged them all the way. Should win another hart IMO

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Just looking at the standings.. Islanders and Kings wtf.. Talk about using the Loser Point to your advantage... kings have 11 ot losses.. Take away those points and they are 6th in the division.. Islanders have 14 OT losses.. WTF... This is crazy.. Imagine if we had 14 OT losses.. lmaoo We would be fighting for a playoff spot.. Bruins have 15.. Holy shit.. NHL needs to do something about this.. Make the win 3 points and OT win 2 points.. And ot loss 1 point..

Reactions: Kalv

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Just looking at the standings.. Islanders and Kings wtf.. Talk about using the Loser Point to your advantage... kings have 11 ot losses.. Take away those points and they are 6th in the division.. Islanders have 14 OT losses.. WTF... This is crazy.. Imagine if we had 14 OT losses.. lmaoo We would be fighting for a playoff spot.. Bruins have 15.. Holy shit.. NHL needs to do something about this.. Make the win 3 points and OT win 2 points.. And ot loss 1 point..
07 ducks had 14 OTL

i'm fine with it

Reactions: Ducks DVM and Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Well, there is a reason why we don't have 14 OT losses.
It's weird, but far from the biggest NHL's problem, imo

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Every time someone complains about the loser point I'm inclined to point them in the direction of the league standings if the loser point didn't exist. Outside of extreme situations, the standings barely ever change.

And as long as the current OT rules stand, the removal would introduce a massive bias into the standings. I hate the 3v3 overtimes with a burning passion. It's such a gimmick that favors fast players good at stick-handling that teams like the Ducks of old would always lose out. Which, again, not a problem from a standings perspective, but it would certainly drive teams to build a certain way.

Reactions: Ducks DVM and Kalv

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
Feature not bug. NHL wants it this way with ot loss point. Keeps more teams in playoff race

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
That would be a pretty crappy stunt to pull on the people who bought tickets to that game because of the bobblehead.
I’m guessing they didn’t get the bobbleheads in time and they thought telling people in this way was better than just coming clean and saying they don’t have them yet.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I’m guessing they didn’t get the bobbleheads in time and they thought telling people in this way was better than just coming clean and saying they don’t have them yet.
You may be right. But it's possible that the theft wasn't really about Jagr, but rather a much larger haul of which he was a small part. I think if this is a stunt to cover for something like a delayed shipment, they should have just gone with the truth.

But this does remind me, does anybody know if they ever found the $20M of gold stolen from the airport in Toronto a while back? :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Yemeth

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Philly keeps on giving. I can't imagine how their fans must feel, it's a twilight zone out there. Who knows what the hell is going on behind the scenes.

The Couturier saga is ongoing with Tortorella making him captain and then a month later benching him for 2 game. Then after tonights - questionable line choices in OT -lead loss without their captain, Torts is letting his assistant handle the post game interview. Obviously the irony here is accountability that Tortorella is preaching.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Philly keeps on giving. I can't imagine how their fans must feel, it's a twilight zone out there. Who knows what the hell is going on behind the scenes.

The Couturier saga is ongoing with Tortorella making him captain and then a month later benching him for 2 game. Then after tonights - questionable line choices in OT -lead loss without their captain, Torts is letting his assistant handle the post game interview. Obviously the irony here is accountability that Tortorella is preaching.
Is there some material to read up on?

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Is there some material to read up on?
Well, take your pick

It's been discussed on most hockey podcasts aswell.

It's one of those things where a coach has total power and seems to demand it as well that it creates and enables these bizarre events. A thing of the past for most people I imagine but somehow it still fosters in Philly. This of course after all the changes they made, which - have resulted in dramatic improvements if you ask around the team - or changed nothing from an objective observer.

• Wow

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Well, take your pick

It's been discussed on most hockey podcasts aswell.

It's one of those things where a coach has total power and seems to demand it as well that it creates and enables these bizarre events. A thing of the past for most people I imagine but somehow it still fosters in Philly. This of course after all the changes they made, which - have resulted in dramatic improvements if you ask around the team - or changed nothing from an objective observer.
Yeesh, that's super messy.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca

Maybe the Philly fans can go protest a college kid to make themselves feel better about their organization

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
This is what torts does. he may not do it consciously, but it's always about him. No matter how much he protests, this is the behavior of a narcissist who demands absolute fealty. It's why his teams follow the same pattern always. 6 months or maybe 1 season of playing above their heads, then the shtick gets old and players tune him out, then he throws tantrums and has bitchy arguments with local media like he's some persecuted poor sob.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Torts is interesting. His former players either love him or despise him. Holding out your captain for 1 game, ok, message sent. 2 games? Now you make it seem personal. And maybe it is. What convos happen when the cameras arent rolling? Did SC say something to Torts and so he threw an extra game on?

While I dont mind tough coaches, there is a line that when crossed, the players will turn on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad