Around the NHL 2019-2020 | Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hmm. Certainly shows that Allen's market value wasn't that of a cap dump.

He had a nice rebound season but was a total disaster the year before. He was the primary reason a Cup capable team was out of the playoffs, that's how damn bad he was. Not sure I fully understand this from Montreal's perspective.

They gave up a 3rd rounder for a $4.3 million dollar backup for one season.

If the Wings made this deal I'd be pretty salty.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't think paying a 3rd rounder for Jake Allen is what I'd describe as a pipedream.

The real tragedy here is that the Blues were able to shed goalie salary and still get a draft pick back. That means they are far more likely to be able to retain Pietrangelo.

They now have $15m invested in goaltending next year. Seems like an odd move with Price there. Maybe they are planning on reining in his games but if you pull in his games too much then that $10m price tag starts looking a bit more questionable.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
They now have $15m invested in goaltending next year. Seems like an odd move with Price there. Maybe they are planning on reining in his games but if you pull in his games too much then that $10m price tag starts looking a bit more questionable.

In a vacuum, it makes sense to give Price a backup that can spot more games. Price looked incredible these playoffs, the best goalie there, perhaps because he was so rested going in. He's still capable of being the best, but he's entering his mid-30s at this point. Rest is important. And Montreal isn't hurting for cap space, so one year of Allen isn't going to make or break anything for them.

But St. Louis is hurting for space. And you did them a favor by taking a problem goalie off their hands, someone they would have given away for free a year ago, and paid them to do so.

I guess Montreal was completely sold on Allen being their guy, because the goalie market over the next year is going to be insanely deflated due to COVID cap and the expansion draft. Paying for someone's backup goalie cap dump at this point feels pretty bad.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
In a vacuum, it makes sense to give Price a backup that can spot more games. Price looked incredible these playoffs, the best goalie there, perhaps because he was so rested going in. He's still capable of being the best, but he's entering his mid-30s at this point. Rest is important. And Montreal isn't hurting for cap space, so one year of Allen isn't going to make or break anything for them.

But St. Louis is hurting for space. And you did them a favor by taking a problem goalie off their hands, someone they would have given away for free a year ago, and paid them to do so.

I guess Montreal was completely sold on Allen being their guy, because the goalie market over the next year is going to be insanely deflated due to COVID cap and the expansion draft. Paying for someone's backup goalie cap dump at this point feels pretty bad.

It does. At the very least, I don't know why Montreal didn't at least wait and see what shook out in the off-season. Maybe they could have grabbed Greiss for two or three years for a slightly lower cap hit? Or maybe they just find a way to bend St. Louis over a bit instead of paying retail.

Price has looked really good for the past four playoffs he's been in. the problem is that those four appearances have been spread out over seven seasons. I get wanting to cut his work load a little,though I do think if you cut it too much it kind of dings his contract value, but if I'm Montreal I'm trying to fill some other holes first with that money just to make sure Price gets to the playoffs.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
He had a nice rebound season but was a total disaster the year before. He was the primary reason a Cup capable team was out of the playoffs, that's how damn bad he was. Not sure I fully understand this from Montreal's perspective.

They gave up a 3rd rounder for a $4.3 million dollar backup for one season.

If the Wings made this deal I'd be pretty salty.

I think Montreal overpaid, but I don't think it's terrible. There seem to be better options for a backup goalie, but maybe they're not as cheap as we might think.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
It does. At the very least, I don't know why Montreal didn't at least wait and see what shook out in the off-season. Maybe they could have grabbed Greiss for two or three years for a slightly lower cap hit? Or maybe they just find a way to bend St. Louis over a bit instead of paying retail.

Price has looked really good for the past four playoffs he's been in. the problem is that those four appearances have been spread out over seven seasons. I get wanting to cut his work load a little,though I do think if you cut it too much it kind of dings his contract value, but if I'm Montreal I'm trying to fill some other holes first with that money just to make sure Price gets to the playoffs.

Does cutting his workload ding his contract value or help bring the most value out of your investment? Overpaying him is a sunk cost. Finding a way to get the most out of him when you're tied to him for the foreseeable is solid logic, IMO.

That said, given Allen's high price tag both in terms of cap hit and acquistion cost (not really that high) and 1 year of team control, I'm on board with thinking that this guy probably wasn't the right target for them.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Does cutting his workload ding his contract value or help bring the most value out of your investment? Overpaying him is a sunk cost. Finding a way to get the most out of him when you're tied to him for the foreseeable is solid logic, IMO.

That said, given Allen's high price tag both in terms of cap hit and acquistion cost (not really that high) and 1 year of team control, I'm on board with thinking that this guy probably wasn't the right target for them.

I guess, for me, it would depend on how many games they are expecting to play him. I have to think it would be around 55 games. Any less than that and you're starting to look at a platoon and then that contract looks awful. Like, maybe reason to can the GM awful. You still try to make the best out of it, yeah, but...ugh. that said, does he need his work load reduced or does he need a better team in front of him?

I can get going out and trying to get a better backup, but the cost here is just...ugh. Doesn't help that it makes it look less likely that yzerman will be able to put the screws to somebody if other teams around the league are constantly willing to step up and do something stupid.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Guy on Twitter speculated it keeps the Blues in the picture and could prevent Toronto from signing Pietrangelo.
Decent theory.
Seems crazy to spend $15M on goalies.

Reactions: Winger98

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I guess, for me, it would depend on how many games they are expecting to play him. I have to think it would be around 55 games. Any less than that and you're starting to look at a platoon and then that contract looks awful. Like, maybe reason to can the GM awful. You still try to make the best out of it, yeah, but...ugh. that said, does he need his work load reduced or does he need a better team in front of him?

I can get going out and trying to get a better backup, but the cost here is just...ugh. Doesn't help that it makes it look less likely that yzerman will be able to put the screws to somebody if other teams around the league are constantly willing to step up and do something stupid.

Better team in front for $5000 Alex!

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Eric Staal traded to Buffalo, eh?

Not sure I understand this one for Minnesota.

I guess they are going to start dumping more of their vet contracts? Parise will be next.

And this means Suter to Detroit is still alive and well. You think I'm joking, but they are dangling Dumba on the trade block.

If Dumba is trade fodder, there's absolutely nothing sacred about keeping Suter at this point. I have no idea what Guerin is doing in Minnesota right now. He's certainly lost the faith of his fans so far.

Last edited:

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
And this means Suter to Detroit is still alive and well.

Generally speaking I do want a veteran partner to play with Seider for when he'll be in Detroit full time. But at 35+ with a 7.5+ cap hit for 5 more years? Gosh. I don't know. It's not like they're just going to give him away to anyone.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Generally speaking I do want a veteran partner to play with Seider for when he'll be in Detroit full time. But at 35+ with a 7.5+ cap hit for 5 more years? Gosh. I don't know. It's not like they're just going to give him away to anyone.

I'd do it. The guy still holds down a ton of IT in Minny and still looks good. Is he going to slow down? Yeah, but I bet he's still around 20 minutes a night at the end of that deal. At this point in his career, it might do wonders for the guy to only have to play 22 minutes a night instead of 25.

Reactions: Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

I think it could be a fine move for Detroit if it's cheap. And I think it will need to be cheap for them. Because if they are going to move Suter's deal, it needs to be to a team he wants to play for and won't retire early - lest get slammed with a massive recapture penalty. You have to think Detroit would be on the short list of teams that he would want to spend his final years and that could actually absorb most of his cost.

What teams are going to be lining up for a 35-year-old with 5 years left in a stagnant cap? And what teams would Suter want to call home at this point in his life?

Same reason Parise only makes sense to the Islanders at this point. These guys need to be motivated to go to that new team. Their contract is a poison pill - but mainly for the Wild. If Suter calls it quits early or can't cut it in a few years, all that risk goes onto them, not Detroit.

Chara was 43 this year and still served a role. I don't think it's crazy that Suter, who looked really strong this year again, is still productive into his late 30s.

Granted it's not my first choice of moves to make, simply due to the term, but there's a certain logic to it aside from the memes. We need a big minute stabilizer back on that blueline and our options are limited outside of the pipedream UFAs or giving up significant assets.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
I'd do it. The guy still holds down a ton of IT in Minny and still looks good. Is he going to slow down? Yeah, but I bet he's still around 20 minutes a night at the end of that deal. At this point in his career, it might do wonders for the guy to only have to play 22 minutes a night instead of 25.

I think it could be a fine move for Detroit if it's cheap. And I think it will need to be cheap for them. Because if they are going to move Suter's deal, it needs to be to a team he wants to play for and won't retire early - lest get slammed with a massive recapture penalty. You have to think Detroit would be on the short list of teams that he would want to spend his final years and that could actually absorb most of his cost.

What teams are going to be lining up for a 35-year-old with 5 years left in a stagnant cap? And what teams would Suter want to call home at this point in his life?

Same reason Parise only makes sense to the Islanders at this point. These guys need to be motivated to go to that new team. Their contract is a poison pill - but mainly for the Wild. If Suter calls it quits early or can't cut it in a few years, all that risk goes onto them, not Detroit.

Chara was 43 this year and still served a role. I don't think it's crazy that Suter, who looked really strong this year again, is still productive into his late 30s.

Granted it's not my first choice of moves to make, simply due to the term, but there's a certain logic to it aside from the memes. We need a big minute stabilizer back on that blueline and our options are limited outside of the pipedream UFAs or giving up significant assets.

Could Minnesota taking on some of the contract cost be part of the deal or is that only for expirings? If so, now we're talking.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Yeah, exactly this.

And is Suter going to want to ride out things in Minnesota with Staal out and Parise already eyeing his departure to the Islanders? I don't know. Feels like they went their to build a contender around those two, failed, and now it's time to cut losses and move on. Minnesota's rebuild is just starting in earnest. They've been tinkering for years but they have so many holes right now to fill.

Detroit looks worse right now, but Minnesota could easily look worse in the next year or two. Their top center right now is Marcus Johansson. Let that sink in. They have a heavily regressed Zuccarello on contract until 2024. That one is looking like a real Frans Nielsen, if you know what I mean.

The lone bright spot is Fiala seems to be a great winger. But you have to wonder how long before he suffers from Tomas Tatar syndrome there trying to do too much all by himself. Maybe Kaprizov can make an impact right away. But that's another winger.

Nothing in net. A blueline being retooled. Zero help at center. It could get 2019 Red Wings ugly in Minnesota fast if Guerin isn't careful. That team has been duct taped together with Suter, Parise, and Staal keeping it afloat the last few years.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yeah, exactly this.

And is Suter going to want to ride out things in Minnesota with Staal out and Parise already eyeing his departure to the Islanders? I don't know. Feels like they went their to build a contender around those two, failed, and now it's time to cut losses and move on. Minnesota's rebuild is just starting in earnest. They've been tinkering for years but they have so many holes right now to fill.

Detroit looks worse right now, but Minnesota could easily look worse in the next year or two. Their top center right now is Marcus Johansson. Let that sink in. They have a heavily regressed Zuccarello on contract until 2024. That one is looking like a real Frans Nielsen, if you know what I mean.

The lone bright spot is Fiala seems to be a great winger. But you have to wonder how long before he suffers from Tomas Tatar syndrome there trying to do too much all by himself. Maybe Kaprizov can make an impact right away. But that's another winger.

Nothing in net. A blueline being retooled. Zero help at center. It could get 2019 Red Wings ugly in Minnesota fast if Guerin isn't careful. That team has been duct taped together with Suter, Parise, and Staal keeping it afloat the last few years.

Minnesota sucks. They wasted their best years on Bruce Boudreau.

Up front, they're going to be counting an awful lot on Kaprizov and Parise. Mostly it looks like a bunch of 30-40 point guys.

But a defense with Suter, Spurgeon, Dumba and Brodin is pretty good.

Dubnyk's slide at 34 years old is not good.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Can you imagine how much Ryan Suter would help our young guys. He is a still a top pairing player too. I can get behind it especially at a cheap cost. But we don't really know the other moves that are out there to be had right now either. Suter's game is cerebral enough and his tools are still there in a good enough way to make me think he continues to age gracefully.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Can you imagine how much Ryan Suter would help our young guys. He is a still a top pairing player too. I can get behind it especially at a cheap cost. But we don't really know the other moves that are out there to be had right now either. Suter's game is cerebral enough and his tools are still there in a good enough way to make me think he continues to age gracefully.

Exactly my line of thought. You could not ask for a better guy to bridge the gap during the rebuild. I know "veteran leadership" is mocked around here, but it's legitimately important you have guys like to shoulder heavily lifting while your prospects are literally learning on the fly against the best in the world.

We'll have a much clearer picture when the playoffs and draft are done what the market looks like. But I'd be stunned if Yzerman goes into next year with the same blueline. You're going to see some kind of veteran piece coming in to help last years addition Nemeth.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
not the nhl but a nice shooter that i didnt know where else to put -

Heh. Hey, if you can pull it off, why not?

I was watching an NHL shootout goal compilation earlier and I wondered if some of them would be "legal" in today's game. Because I vaguely remember they adjusted some of the shootout move rules. Like a Spin-O-Rama could be challenged with a review or something like that.

This goal by Mike Ribero - Would this still be a "good goal" today? I don't know if they have some sort of 'once the puck leaves your stick it's considered as your shot' kind of deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad