Around the NHL 2019-2020 | Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I offered ice time as to what role he had on the team (10th among forwards, behind Riley Sheahan), you just chose not to acknowledge it.

So why did he barely play compared to the other forwards on the team? I understand he isn't likely to get PK time, but falling so low among forwards in terms of ice time doesn't exactly help the argument about Tippett being so enamoured with his play.

I suppose we will see.

A player cannot control how much time he gets. If he's good, he can control what he does with it.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
A player cannot control how much time he gets. If he's good, he can control what he does with it.
I think you understand what I mean by what I said. Yes, he can't delegate his own ice time, but ice time is absolutely influenced/predicated on performance.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think you understand what I mean by what I said. Yes, he can't delegate his own ice time, but ice time is absolutely influenced/predicated on performance.

Based on what AA did in the regular season, both in Detroit and Edmonton, He didn't deserve more than Line 3 minutes in Edmonton.
He struggled. Looked lethargic.

The AA we saw in the playoffs did not look lethargic at all. Looked a lot more like the AA we saw in 18-19 than 19-20.
I'm not sure how anyone who watched that series thinks differently unless they have an agenda.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Also I will say that whether AA gets those 16-17 minutes a night is up to AA. Nobody is going to hand anything to him. If he wants the ice time to succeed he has to convince his next coach that he deserves that time.

No, it's not up to AA.
It's literally up to the coach.
AA can influence the coach's decision.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
No, it's not up to AA.
It's literally up to the coach.
AA can influence the coach's decision.
I'm not sure why you responded to this post a second time.

I stand by my clarification:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
2MUHSb9.png

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
It'll be interesting to see what offers AA gets as a UFA. And would he even want to be back here? I have to say, at anything under $3m and less than 4 years, I'd welcome him with open arms, because 1 good season along with Gagner on the third line could see his trade value shoot right back up. And while the team is rubbish, he offers some rare excitement. That said, I'd hardly be heartbroken if we didn't make him an offer.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I wouldn't mind bringing him back under parameters similar to what Lomekian mentioned above.
Would really like to see AA put it all together someday and be the player he is capable of being. I get Holland going after him and I would understand there being plenty of interest in him if he becomes a FA; but geez, how much longer are teams, coaches, GMs going to bank on this guy figuring out how to become a special player before they throw their hands up and walk away?

Personally, AA won me over (or earned a little leeway) when he stepped up against Toronto in the game where Muzzin injured Mantha. For all his flaws he seems to be a good teammate and he can be a real exciting player - but it has been frustrating as hell far too often.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Put yourself in Yzerman's shoes. He only saw AA for the duration since he was hired, and didn't see enough in the player to keep him for two second rounders. Then said player didn't exactly catch fire once he was dealt.

Even if I accept the notion that AA was trending upward for the last handful of playoff games, taking him back now would be like reuniting with a crazy ex-girlfriend:

im-sorry-baby-i-didnt-mean-that-sometimes-i-yell-cause-i-just-get-so-scared.jpg

If I'm Yzerman, the only way I'd even THINK about having AA anywhere near this team is if it's at league minimum in Grand Rapids to earn his way back up.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Put yourself in Yzerman's shoes. He only saw AA for the duration since he was hired, and didn't see enough in the player to keep him for two second rounders. Then said player didn't exactly catch fire once he was dealt.

Even if I accept the notion that AA was trending upward for the last handful of playoff games, taking him back now would be like reuniting with a crazy ex-girlfriend:

im-sorry-baby-i-didnt-mean-that-sometimes-i-yell-cause-i-just-get-so-scared.jpg

If I'm Yzerman, the only way I'd even THINK about having AA anywhere near this team is if it's at league minimum in Grand Rapids to earn his way back up.

The only strong feelings I have on the matter are that I fully trust the guy who built the team that just won the Stanley Cup. I don't anticipate Athanasiou coming back but if Yzerman brings him back that's fine with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad