Around the NHL: 2019-20 Season Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Vesey makes even less sense when you consider our GM was actively negotiating a trade with the GM who traded Gusev and Haula.

And the Leafs should not be this bad defensively. They actually have a lot of talent on that blue line. Can't wait to see the fans and media turn on them.
Unfortunately ( or fortunately) that talent isnt great defensively. Barrie is dynamite offensively, but is prone to mistakes defensively. Reilly is great offensively, but leaves a lot to be desired defensively. Ceci is awful all around. Not sure if they're going to be able to turn his game around. Sandin is young, so he's going to have his hiccups.

Muzzin's honestly the only player they have with well defined defensive chops+ a bit of sandpaper to his game. I think they'll fold again if they run into a heavey forechecking team or Tampa, who's built similarly, but is more talented all around.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Unfortunately ( or fortunately) that talent isnt great defensively. Barrie is dynamite offensively, but is prone to mistakes defensively. Reilly is great offensively, but leaves a lot to be desired defensively. Ceci is awful all around. Not sure if they're going to be able to turn his game around. Sandin is young, so he's going to have his hiccups.

Muzzin's honestly the only player they have with well defined defensive chops+ a bit of sandpaper to his game. I think they'll fold again if they run into a heavey forechecking team or Tampa, who's built similarly, but is more talented all around.
I also think Muzzins best days are behind him, and he certainly isn't playing in a friendlier D system like LA's anymore, plenty of gaffes in his game at this point. They're still going to have to put up a lot of goals by the early looks of things.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Someone here, a few years back, had a quote that’s never left me.

“What if William Nylander is to Marian Hossa what Alex Nylander is to Marcel Hossa?”

I'm still dumbfounded we were able to get Jokiharju for him. Turned what was a terrible draft pick into a quality asset.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Vesey makes even less sense when you consider our GM was actively negotiating a trade with the GM who traded Gusev and Haula.

And the Leafs should not be this bad defensively. They actually have a lot of talent on that blue line. Can't wait to see the fans and media turn on them.
Who on their team is actually good defensively? They have even fewer real two-way players than us.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY

Apparently the sample size is growing?

As someone who’s typically favored the eye test, which I’ll admit is partially because I don’t understand the nuance of a lot of the advanced stats, and partially because as a general principle I find statistics to often be misleading, I am really curious to see how the season plays out.

If they show real improvement and under the hood the advanced stats reflect that change, I will definitely be reconsidering my personal valuation of them.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

Sorry if this was already posted.

Wild!
(Btw, that’s the owner, bill foley, in the helicopter. And Fleury/Karlsson/Schmidt as cowboys)

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
As someone who’s typically favored the eye test, which I’ll admit is partially because I don’t understand the nuance of a lot of the advanced stats, and partially because as a general principle I find statistics to often be misleading, I am really curious to see how the season plays out.

If they show real improvement and under the hood the advanced stats reflect that change, I will definitely be reconsidering my personal valuation of them.
As someone who also doesn't necessarily follow advanced stats particularly well, in part because they can be skewed to push any number of agendas... all I want is for stats people and eye test people to agree that the Sabres are good. :laugh: That's what I look for as I skim through posts here and tweets. Once that happens, and a successful season follows, I think that we can say we've made it.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Scoreboard
upload_2019-10-12_19-48-34.png

Will John Hynes (Devils) and Paul Maurice (Jets) be the first coaches fired? Could Maurice end up working for the Sabres in some capacity with his buddy Ralph Krueger?
Alex Nylander isn't playing tonight.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
But hey, at least they have McLellan, right?

They can still sop their tears with their Cup banners though. I wonder how long they will try to make it work with their vets... but those contracts are looking like they will be stuck for a while.

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
Will John Hynes (Devils) and Paul Maurice (Jets) be the first coaches fired? Could Maurice end up working for the Sabres in some capacity with his buddy Ralph Krueger?
Alex Nylander isn't playing tonight.

Four wins in six games with one of those wins scored with an AHL level defense, so no, I don't think Maurice will get fired anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad