Around the NHL: 2019-20 Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Eh, if they rent-to-own on Haula, I'm interested. They have to find value and start filling in the lineup going forward.
Agreed. Further, they, management cannot send the message that the are not at least trying, against whatever odds, to win. That message is as important as it has to become the goal,of the organization from top to bottom. You can’t simply throw a switch a year or two down the road and expect that the culture your trying to change will change.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Based on current trends the final wild card spot is at 100 points. Assuming we win games against teams ahead of us the necessary points will go down, so lets use 97 points as the bench mark

97 - 51(sabres current points) = 46 points in 33 remaining games is 46 out of 66 possible points = .70%, 1.4 points per game, 114 points a season pace

record of 23-10-0, with 2 wins against CBJ, 2 against CAR, 1 against TOR and 2 against philly

23-10-0
22-9-2
21-8-4
20-7-6
19-6-8
t
Losses would need to be basically only against western teams and teams far ahead of us or behind us.

The Sabres went 9-2-2 to start the season.

So in conclusion the Sabres need to play the next 2.5 months slightly worse(.06 points per game) than they played in October and they'll make it to the playoffs.

5-5-0 in their last 10, pacing at 84-85 points for the season

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
It's silly to talk about how many points out, etc at this point.

The last few years, it's taken 97-98 pts to make the playoffs in the East.

We have 51 pts with 33 games left.

That's 47 pts in 33 games or a 23-9-1 run. That's a 116 pt pace.

Even if we won 2 games for everyone we lost, that would 22-11, it'd be good for 95 pts, and out of the playoffs.

If you take a deeper look at the schedule, it's going to be worse than you think.

The next 10 games, we have 9 out of 10 games at home with the 1 road game being in NYC.

It's likely we are going to go on a decent-ish run. Probably 7 or so wins.

But, the final 23 games, 14 are on the road. We are 8-14-4 on the road.

So, let's ASSUME, we can get to .500 on the road for our last 15 road games. That's 7-7-1.

That means for our 18 remaining home games.....16-2.

Don't know why you quoted me.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

The perfect mascot for the Broad Street Bullies.

Medical report is provided by a chiropractor. :laugh:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Agreed. Further, they, management cannot send the message that the are not at least trying, against whatever odds, to win. That message is as important as it has to become the goal,of the organization from top to bottom. You can’t simply throw a switch a year or two down the road and expect that the culture your trying to change will change.

Agreed. This is the year to do a deal or two on a rent-to-own. We have the cap space coming up and no reason at all to wait until UFA starts. Let's show that we're willing to win now and bring people in to the culture we're hoping to build. Expose them to Kruger and Pegula, and the Buffalo community. And do it with the mid-lineup guys. The guys who can play anywhere on the 2nd/3rd/4th lines and do it well. Like Haula. We're kinda doing that with Frolik.

Some other names that may fit on a rent-to-own thing, though I haven't done a ton of research on them: Namestnikov, Boedker, Fast.

Some guys in the Montour "pending RFA but might not fit long-term where they currently are (style or cap-wise)" we could look at: Tierney, Faksa, Connor Brown, Josh Anderson, Fischer. Then there are plenty of offseason trade bait guys in the same "pending RFA but might not be a long-term fit: Burakovsky, R. Strome, McCann, Labanc, Roslovic, Jost.

I'm sure there are others too.....

Reactions: sabrebuild

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
There's like 3 or 4 FORWARDS with a worse PPG/similar PPG as Dahlin going to the All Star Game. No wonder players don't want to go anymore, its not an honor and any future talk about All Star selections is meaningless.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I wonder wheat Pilut gets you from Winnipeg?

My guess is not enough to make it worth moving him if you are hoping to impact this season.

Maybe they give up Roslovic. But, he has been a big nothing burger this season offensively. His possession numbers have been OK. But, he looks like another guy that drives possession without it ending up in the other team's net.

So, he would fit right in.

:help:

Reactions: Chainshot

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Because I rarely predict, and I'm more rarely right, I had to throw this in here.

I don't know how to quote locked threads, but this is from Around the NHL Offseason edition #3,
circa 9/6-9/7/19, re: the Jake Gardiner signing.

@Zip15 said:
Wonder if Carolina was waiting around on Williams, and once he decided not to come back (to them) they had money to spend.

Good deal for them. The Canes are momentarily over the cap. I wonder how Habs fans are reconciling that fact given Carolina's "cheap" owner.

@brian_griffin said:
I expect Williams will do the Mike Fisher “see you in March” deal with CAR.

Okay, so Williams came back ~5 weeks earlier than I predicted...

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
With our season being all but dead it looks like I'm going to end up the Alexis LaFreniere of the playoff bandwagon draft again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad