Around The NHL 2018-2019 Edition: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
What D they have in the Marlies may not be much help for a few years either

Leafs have two 1st round pick defenders on the Marlies. With Liljegren (17th in 2017) and Sandin (29th in 2018) the two of them looked pretty good as a pairing this pre-season and they'll be in the NHL within 1-2 years at most. So just wanted to correct you there. Calle Rosen also has pretty good numbers himself (21 points in 28 games) and he's still just 24, many regard him as 100% an NHL player already, IMO I'd he should already be in the Leafs lineup.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Leafs have two 1st round pick defenders on the Marlies. With Liljegren (17th in 2017) and Sandin (29th in 2018) the two of them looked pretty good as a pairing this pre-season and they'll be in the NHL within 1-2 years at most. So just wanted to correct you there. Calle Rosen also has pretty good numbers himself (21 points in 28 games) and he's still just 24, many regard him as 100% an NHL player already, IMO I'd he should already be in the Leafs lineup.
Yes I agree. I meant immediate help. Even if they come up in 2 years, I'd expect they wouldn't play at their optimum until a couple years after that

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
and their cap structure is set up pretty darn well.
I'm probably missing something obvious but at a glance they have almost no cap space for next season with plenty of guys to re-sign, including Point who looks like he is heading towards something around 10 million. Then the year after there's Vasi and Sergachev to sign. They are set up well but still it will be difficult to keep all the talent together. This year might be their best shot at the cup.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm probably missing something obvious but at a glance they have almost no cap space for next season with plenty of guys to re-sign, including Point who looks like he is heading towards something around 10 million. Then the year after there's Vasi and Sergachev to sign. They are set up well but still it will be difficult to keep all the talent together. This year might be their best shot at the cup.

Point should make things tight this summer, but I don't see a lot of guys they have to re-sign. On the blueline, I think Stralman fits that bill, but I'm not sure he's going to be a hard sell. After that, they have a couple of kids playing over Girardi and Coburn now, and Cal Foote has been pretty steady in Syracuse.

Up front, they'll probably try to cut some deadweight in Callahan, and will be able to plug in that Mathieu Joseph kid into a slightly bigger role.

And on the blueline, did they really miss a beat when Vasi was hurt? Domingue stepped in and they kept winning, and they have a pretty good young goalie sitting down in Syracuse right now.

This year might be their best chance to win it, but they got the majority of their significant pieces locked up at decent deals for the next few years, and have kids seemingly stepping in behind guys they can look to part ways with for various reasons in the near future. If they didn't have guys like Foote or Joseph or Ingram (the goalie, just looked it up again) I'd be less enthusiastic about them, but they seem to have a lot of things falling into the right spots for them to keep making a serious run here for several years.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So who's gonna be lucky enough to get Hextall?

Given some of what is swirling since he left Philly, I would have to have a real talk with Hextall about what his role is exactly and how to treat people before I hired him.

Now I never heard that about him in the smaller role when still with the Kings but the celebration of his exit from their building that has even been talked about on the NHL radio channel is surprising and eyebrow raising to me. I don't think he is a terribly intriguing asset right now in the NHL, but we will have to wait and see where he resurfaces. I do think he will resurface but not sure Detroit would have any interest in him.

Reactions: mantha39

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I really don't undestand those Lites/owner comments.

Seguin and Benn look great statistically, even though their scoring is down. But their relative scoring is at level of Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak line. Top10 in the league from last 1,5 seasons, that's pretty darn good.

If they are lockerroom assholes, or bad leaders, then I understand it. Maybe it effects on their younger players... But I don't see them dragging this team down on-ice, anyhow. Dallas has been low-scoring team since last season thanks to system changes +better goalteding, and then the scoring goes always down. But they are playing better hockey, and that top line has great numbers. Their supporting players are just... bad.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I really don't undestand those Lites/owner comments.

Seguin and Benn look great statistically, even though their scoring is down. But their relative scoring is at level of Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak line. Top10 in the league from last 1,5 seasons, that's pretty darn good.

If they are lockerroom *******s, or bad leaders, then I understand it. Maybe it effects on their younger players... But I don't see them dragging this team down on-ice, anyhow. Dallas has been low-scoring team since last season thanks to system changes +better goalteding, and then the scoring goes always down. But they are playing better hockey, and that top line has great numbers. Their supporting players are just... bad.
It's pretty stupid to throw it on Benn/Seguin, there's no depth on that team whatsoever. Klingberg is the only other notable, Spezza is done....their drafting has been a black hole outside of Heiskanen.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

• Cap goes up a bit.
  • Point is bridged.
  • Callahan becomes pretty tradeable with just 1 year left (and Tampa can afford to pair him with an asset)
  • Plenty of other tradeable cap chunks in Miller, Killorn, and Palat if they waive.
  • Stralman likely takes discount to stay and/or trades salary for term.
  • Erne and Paquette are RFA and can be cost-controlled or traded.
  • Promotable prospects in Foote, Raddysh, Stephens, et al.
  • Girardi and/or Coburn can probably be re-signed on the cheap if need be.
Hell, if we have the cap space, I'd welcome Callahan with open arms if he was packaged with an intriguing prospect or their 1st (likely 28th at best).

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
So who's gonna be lucky enough to get Hextall?

If the rumors are true that the hill Hextall chose to die on was refusing to fire a mediocre NHL coach like Hakstol, then I wouldn't really call his next team lucky to have him. The last thing a GM should do is let his personal loyalties affect his business goals. We know how that goes.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
If the rumors are true that the hill Hextall chose to die on was refusing to fire a mediocre NHL coach like Hakstol, then I wouldn't really call his next team lucky to have him. The last thing a GM should do is let his personal loyalties affect his business goals. We know how that goes.

True seems pretty ridiculous that he wouldn't move on from Hakstol.

I just liked his drafting and vision for that team. They got unlucky with the Patrick pick which definitely set them back.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Hasktol wasn't the issue though. The Flyers were building something that takes time to build, they were close. Flyers ownership seems to think they should be winning a cup this season, but that's not how it works.

Reactions: Winger98

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Idk how it happened so fast but im so glad league scoring is up. Kucherov,, Rantanen, gaudreau and so many more are just scoring at ridiculous levels and it's awesome

I thought such a shift in scoring would never happen unless there were drastic rule changes

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Idk how it happened so fast but im so glad league scoring is up. Kucherov,, Rantanen, gaudreau and so many more are just scoring at ridiculous levels and it's awesome

I thought such a shift in scoring would never happen unless there were drastic rule changes

I was going to comment about this last night. The talent and creativity we are seeing is just on another level right now. And you're right, it's f***ing awesome.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I was going to comment about this last night. The talent and creativity we are seeing is just on another level right now. And you're right, it's ****ing awesome.

I just wish datsyuk and Zetterberg could have played in such an era

also I laugh every time is see your avatar lol

Reactions: mantha39

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

amazing what can happen when goalies are no longer allowed to be michelin men in the net

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad