Around The NHL 2018-2019 Edition: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
an you have NTC/NMC beforeyou're eligible for UFA?

I thought there was a rule pertaining to this but I don't quite remember right now.

I guess the larger point is for me with this, I have been kind of chuckling about the Nylander contract for a few months. Rielly is going to need a good second D-man for that team to go anywhere, it cannot be just him. Gardiner is basically a cap victim at this point for next year so he is gone.

At some point the have to fix the back-end in Toronto. I know the big guns are up front, but I have a hard time seeing that carry them over other good teams that are far more complete that will be calling and adjusting on them come playoff time. We will see maybe they do it without shipping him, but to me one of Nylander or Marner has to go for defensive help and I have always agreed with Marner having more value and priority to keep, he no doubted that over the last 12 months, he gets to stay. So I think Willie goes, now they just need to pick out the right trade. Give it a year or two try maybe without that trade but I think it will happen when they cannot beat the other elite teams in the playoffs because of what they have on the back.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What D they have in the Marlies may not be much help for a few years either

Dermott is a bottom pairing d-man for me. Maybe if he outkicks his coverage but I remain pretty unimpressed when I watch him play.

You need bottom pairing D-man but Leafs fans talk about him like he is the reason they don't need to move Nylander. False, but I guess maybe time will tell. I have been wrong on plenty of players as you guys/gals know, but I don't see anything high-end. On a team with the amount of gifts they have, if they feed him a role to collect numbers that will be the argument for the stats crowd. Unfortunately what I am talking about is when they meet other elite teams. I don't care how well Keith Yandle plays against minnows (hey Yandle is leading D-man in PP points on a basement team again!) because if you ice Dermott on me in the playoffs, I am riding that guy until handshake time if I am the other team. Yes and thank you. :laugh:

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I feel like those of us that talk general hockey need to take a moment and talk about Kucherov's heater at the moment.

It's ******* insane.
It's crazy. He's shooting more since he's been on Point's line and he can score from anywhere so they're just producing like crazy. It helps that Point is also on fire right now. Somehow Stamkos is the third best forward on Tampa most nights.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh won two cups with a mediocre ass blue line on the back of a hot goalie and some genrational forwards, Toronto could definitely do the same. Matthews and Tavares aren’t Malkin and Crosby good, but they’re elite as hell.

Reactions: Peiskos

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Still trying to figure out how Nylander is making more than Larkin.

For as much as people like to run him for other contracts, Ken Holland remains one of the best in the business at his RFA dealings. I know there is more to the picture in terms of the long-term UFA debacles we have seen. But Holland has always done well in the RFA world. I think that picture is about to change.

If I am the NHLPA, I would attempt to lengthen ELC contracts with built in escalators, but shorten term to UFA status and ditch RFA altogether. The Owners are going to want to shorten term, if I am the PA that has directly to do with Arbitration rights or doing away with that process altogether and shortening time to UFA status. We will see what they decide there.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I was really disgusted by that Hyman hit.

Hyman is a player I really like in terms of he plays a hard honest game. Well last night he crossed a line, that was busch league on a guy just getting over missing over a month with a concussion. That recklessness also put his only good D-man directly in the firing line later as the Bruins rightfully decide that Rielly's night was going to get much worse because of that play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad