Around The NHL 2018-2019 Edition: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I cant help but admire the San Jose Shark organization. They've consistently been a contender since the lockout, bringing lots of excitement to fans. They make big moves to acquire star players, and also draft well to replace their older ones.
Have they really been a contender every year since the lockout? They only made it past the second round I think three times since, resulting in one Cup appearance (where they got crushed). If you include the reverse sweep, they are a team that's never been good enough to get the job done. I think they benefit being located where they are because they often see a lot of teams at the end of their California road trip.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Have they really been a contender every year since the lockout? They only made it past the second round I think three times since, resulting in one Cup appearance (where they got crushed). If you include the reverse sweep, they are a team that's never been good enough to get the job done. I think they benefit being located where they are because they often see a lot of teams at the end of their California road trip.

sharks have the most road points since the lockout. most home points too but smaller difference to next best team or within top 5 etc.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Toronto is booing Jake Gardiner out.... to sign next summer at Detroit.

Guy makes mistakes, but when I looked to some of his long-term stats, he's really good. Always lowest GAA when he is on the ice. He is good at defending = preventing goals. And doesn't shy away from point-scoring.

Larry Murphy 2.0 is it ?

Leafs have no cap space to sign anyhow for an extension, if they keep all Nylander, Marner, Matthews, Kapanen. And they have to trade one for a defenceman, which could eat the same space as those forwards. They at least 5-6M extra space to extend Gardiner.

Reactions: RabidBadger

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Worst thing the Leafs did was sign Nylander to that contract.
Yup...Now when you add Matthews/Marner new contracts there won't be much cap space left for Gardiner, and others who are looking for a pay raise.

Also signing Marleau was simply a dumb move as well, and he's got 1 year left that eats up $6.25 million of cap space.

The Leafs will soon be the Blackhawks minus the 3 Cups.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Toronto is booing Jake Gardiner out.... to sign next summer at Detroit.

Guy makes mistakes, but when I looked to some of his long-term stats, he's really good. Always lowest GAA when he is on the ice. He is good at defending = preventing goals. And doesn't shy away from point-scoring.

Larry Murphy 2.0 is it ?

Leafs have no cap space to sign anyhow for an extension, if they keep all Nylander, Marner, Matthews, Kapanen. And they have to trade one for a defenceman, which could eat the same space as those forwards. They at least 5-6M extra space to extend Gardiner.
Years ago I saw a video clip of Murphy calling out the Leafs, and it's fan base (more or less having the 'last laugh' while a Red Wing)...If I find that clip I'll post it.

Last edited:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Worst thing the Leafs did was sign Nylander to that contract.
All three should have been signed this past offseason. Signing Tavares mucked everything up. As soon as that happened everyone else knew they'd have great seasons statistically and could ask for even more money if they waited. Good probably to have, but still.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Years ago I saw a video clip of Murphy calling out the Leafs, and it's fan base (more or less having the 'last laugh' while a Red Wing)...If I find that clip I'll post it.

I think he said it at the parade to be honest. But they even mentioned it on Leafs Lunch today when discussing Jake Gardiner. That they should learn from past mistakes...

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I think he said it at the parade to be honest. But they even mentioned it on Leafs Lunch today when discussing Jake Gardiner. That they should learn from past mistakes...
He said it in the locker room after they beat the Flyers. I remember watching the clip a couple of years ago and it was the first time I was able to see the infamous quote come to life.

He may have also said it during the parade, but I don't recall.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I think the Habs are a playoff team. Price seems to have found his game. Also nice to see Tatar doing well.

I agree, despite it looking like Bergevin was out to ruin the team with questionable trades and draft picks. The Domi trade looks brilliant at this point. And where there is Price, there is hope.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
From Messier to waivers:
Messier for Rice
Rice signs w/Hartford
Marchment is compensation
Marchment traded for Hamrlik
Hamrlik traded for Brewer
Brewer traded for Pronger
Pronger traded for a 1st(Ebs)
Eberle for Strome
Strome for Spooner
Spooner on waivers

Reactions: mantha39

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Just learned Brendan Smith has been playing some forward for NYR. Surprised, not surprised? Does Quinn Hughes follow suit? Joking, don't get your panties all in a wad Hughes-ettes.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
larkin's contract looks like a steal these days. Matthews just got 11.6 AAV for 5 years.

Yeah hes a better player but hes not twice as good lol

and apparently Marner's camp thinks he's just as valuable. That's going to be a headache for the leafs.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
and apparently Marner's camp thinks he's just as valuable. That's going to be a headache for the leafs.

Their camp wouldn't be wrong. Last two season it's been Marner driving the offense.

Modern players really should look at agreeing to a hometown discount. Do you want an extra few million... or would you rather have a better team and chance to contend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad