Around the NHL: 2018-19, Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I bet it’s extra hard for the Hawks and Kings every night because everyone they play has a decade of receipts to hand out

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
Was getting nervous that the Capitals would get blown out and would be angry and out for a win against the Sabres tomorrow, but Darling is being Darling and they tied it up.

Reactions: oldgoalie

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Aho is incredible. Him and Svech are going to carry that team for a long time. Unfortunately there ownership and management is clueless.

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
I think the call was that Tarasenko had an illegal stick because Parayko's stick is oversized. Parayko has a waiver to use it but Tarasenko doesn't, thus, illegal equipment.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I've been at pro and college games of just about every level and the Cory Schneider goal tonight was probably the worst I have ever seen a goalie give up.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
I think the call was that Tarasenko had an illegal stick because Parayko's stick is oversized. Parayko has a waiver to use it but Tarasenko doesn't, thus, illegal equipment.

It’s a weird call. Kuznetsov got a similar penalty this year. Both he and a player on the other team dropped their sticks. Kuz picked up the wrong stick and got a penalty for it. It was a mistake he realized he had the weong stick and tried to drop it and grab his but the puck came to him first.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
It’s a weird call. Kuznetsov got a similar penalty this year. Both he and a player on the other team dropped their sticks. Kuz picked up the wrong stick and got a penalty for it. It was a mistake he realized he had the weong stick and tried to drop it and grab his but the puck came to him first.
think the difference is if that was his teammates stick it wouldn't have been a penalty.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I don’t think Skinner is going to catch Ovechkin for the Rocket. Back-to-back hat tricks to extend his lead.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that the Arizona Coyotes believe the single most important move they can make as an organization is to bring Matthews home. Matthews is the only home-grown player in Arizona history and would be a marquee attraction like no other, not to mention a dominant scorer who still has an upside in his game. Strategically, how could a team manage it? Well, one possibility would be to begin by signing Marner to an offer sheet first and offer a max contract. The Leafs would almost certainly have to match.

If they did, then at that point, the Coyotes could turn around and sign Matthews to a max offer sheet as well. At that point, the Leafs could be boxed into a financial corner, after spending $11-million per season to sign John Tavares away from the New York Islanders and then recently, signing William Nylander to an extension for just under $7-million per season.

Similarly, a team could target Laine and Connor. Laine is showing signs of being a consistent 40-plus goal scorer in the NHL and he doesn’t turn 21 until this coming April. Connor is a different player, but the combination of his speed, hockey sense and finishing touch around the net might make him an ideal target for a team like, say, the Detroit Red Wings, who are rebuilding their base and would presumably love to repatriate a hometown kid. Connor grew up as a Red Wings fan in the same way Tavares did with the Leafs.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that the Arizona Coyotes believe the single most important move they can make as an organization is to bring Matthews home. Matthews is the only home-grown player in Arizona history and would be a marquee attraction like no other, not to mention a dominant scorer who still has an upside in his game. Strategically, how could a team manage it? Well, one possibility would be to begin by signing Marner to an offer sheet first and offer a max contract. The Leafs would almost certainly have to match.

If they did, then at that point, the Coyotes could turn around and sign Matthews to a max offer sheet as well. At that point, the Leafs could be boxed into a financial corner, after spending $11-million per season to sign John Tavares away from the New York Islanders and then recently, signing William Nylander to an extension for just under $7-million per season.

Similarly, a team could target Laine and Connor. Laine is showing signs of being a consistent 40-plus goal scorer in the NHL and he doesn’t turn 21 until this coming April. Connor is a different player, but the combination of his speed, hockey sense and finishing touch around the net might make him an ideal target for a team like, say, the Detroit Red Wings, who are rebuilding their base and would presumably love to repatriate a hometown kid. Connor grew up as a Red Wings fan in the same way Tavares did with the Leafs.

The Leafs aren’t matching an offer to Marner for the max ($16M per).

They are taking the picks if some GM is that dumb. Especially if it is the Yotes next 4 1sts.

Just more OS clickbait, IMO.

Reactions: Eichel9

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The Leafs aren’t matching an offer to Marner for the max ($16M per).

They are taking the picks if some GM is that dumb. Especially if it is the Yotes next 4 1sts.

Just more OS clickbait, IMO.

The max is dumb.

But the idea is solid if someone was willing to implement it.

Target one guy for 13-14. They probably match but if they don’t and you are Arizona, what are the chances all 4 picks are top 5 or even top ten?

If they match, you do the same with the other Marner or Matthews. Either guy is worth the cap hit. And Arizona has plenty of reason to take a huge gamble on a guy like Matthews.

The team that makes the most sense for this is Colorado. They have a ton of cap space. And even with paying Rantanen they could pretty easily fit another huge contract. They have a lot of young talent that will be on elc’s . And they have zero reason to think those firsts won’t be super late if they addded another superstar forward.

If I were them I’d go for it, consequences be damned. Those picks can be replenished by trading Landescogin the future.

What does the future look like with three potential 100 point forwards?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The max is dumb.

But the idea is solid if someone was willing to implement it.

Target one guy for 13-14. They probably match but if they don’t and you are Arizona, what are the chances all 4 picks are top 5 or even top ten?

If they match, you do the same with the other Marner or Matthews. Either guy is worth the cap hit. And Arizona has plenty of reason to take a huge gamble on a guy like Matthews.

The team that makes the most sense for this is Colorado. They have a ton of cap space. And even with paying Rantanen they could pretty easily fit another huge contract. They have a lot of young talent that will be on elc’s . And they have zero reason to think those firsts won’t be super late if they addded another superstar forward.

If I were them I’d go for it, consequences be damned. Those picks can be replenished by trading Landescogin the future.

What does the future look like with three potential 100 point forwards?

Good luck getting Marner to sign an OS to leave Toronto.

That’s another reason why this falls down. I don’t see Marner shopping for an OS when he’s a local boy.

And Matthews to the Yotes is as likely as Kane to Buffalo was, IMO.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Good luck getting Marner to sign an OS to leave Toronto.

That’s another reason why this falls down. I don’t see Marner shopping for an OS when he’s a local boy.

And Matthews to the Yotes is as likely as Kane to Buffalo was, IMO.

Oh whether the player would sign or not is another matter.

They both might really love Toronto. But if Toronto is negotiating with Marner and Matthews around 10. And you poop down 14. That’s gonna require a conversation for the player. I mean that’s an extra 28 million dollars on a 7 year deal.

Stay in Toronto with my buddies and be a playoff contender for 9-10 a year or meet new superstar buddies and make 14 a year as a playoff contender. The hard choices in life.haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad