Around the NHL: 2018-19, Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I mean, 1 guy doesn't make a team culture. The interview mentions some specifics that really jump out, like there being a group of guys who thought it was uncool to try hard and who didn't have any respect for the experience/knowledge of veteran players. That stuff has to proliferate to be damning. If Hall was part of that, he certainly wasn't alone.

From what little I tracked the Oilers drama in those years, I recall him being the ring leader alpha of that group, as well as Eberle, and they just got a rep as party guys, that got a lot publicity for the local night life. Kinda like Roy, when he was a core guy.

I don’t really believe much culture argument, beyond talented players are what you need to win, and winning is fun. It happens from time to time that a winning team has open chemistry or effort issues. But for the most part, todays nhl is filled with Uber competitive people who know they are auditioning for a contract every game.

Generally the teams with the most talent win. Those Oiler teams had awful defense, questionable goaltending and a forward group lacking in depth. They were not winning no matter how good culture brought them together as s team.

And for sure the occasional surprise happens, but even those tend to be more obvious after time.

Like the 05-06 Sabres were super surprising to be so good. Unheralded vets hit their stride, rookies ce out of nowhere. But it turned out that wasn’t a fluke year that everything went just right. Briere went on to be an all star and playoff monster for other teams. Vanek was always a star, Pominville and Roy both had excellent careers. Even a grinder like Gaustad was a 10 year nhler.

End of excessive rant. Apologies

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Watching the Islanders last night Barzal needs to start shooting the puck a bit. He’s got zero threat of scoring right now.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Anyone else think prime Stamkos and Matthews are pretty similar? Neither are what would would call guys that are good playmakers, or guys that you notice all that much, yet when they get a chance it's in the net.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I mean, 1 guy doesn't make a team culture. The interview mentions some specifics that really jump out, like there being a group of guys who thought it was uncool to try hard and who didn't have any respect for the experience/knowledge of veteran players. That stuff has to proliferate to be damning. If Hall was part of that, he certainly wasn't alone.
The veterans were complete garbage and their coaching sucked. Ference stole money from that franchise, and it’s hysterical to watch him try to wash his hands of that tenure.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Based on what I am seeing right now in the NHL right now, the top young forwards are as follows.

1. Connor McDavid (Best player in the world, but the gap between him and 3/4/5 isn't as big as I thought)
2. Nathan MacKinnon (Night in night out he's arguably the most consistent forward in the league)
3. Auston Matthews (Best even strength scorer of this decade most likely)
4. Jack Eichel (Probably the third best play maker on this list after McDavid and Marner, but a better goal scorer and positional bias give him the edge over Marner)
5. Mitch Marner (A magician with the puck, he might have 80+ assist seasons in the NHL)
6. Alexander Barkov (Future selke winner, I think he's a tier behind the top 5 in offensive skill)
7. Mikko Rantanen (Super skilled winger with amazing chemistry with MacKinnon. I think without MacKinnon he is more of a 70-80 point guy and not quite the individual talent as those about him.)
8. Patrik Laine (He can shoot the puck and score goals, the other area's of his game are no where near the rest of this list)
9. Elias Pettersson (He's just a rookie, but he's got franchise centre written all over him. He is one of the smartest forwards in the league, so creative)
10. Brayden Point (Probably the second best young two way centre in the game after Barkov, I don't find his individual talent to be sublime, but the whole is better then the sum of the parts)

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Anyone else think prime Stamkos and Matthews are pretty similar? Neither are what would would call guys that are good playmakers, or guys that you notice all that much, yet when they get a chance it's in the net.
I do. Matthews is better on the puck and in battles with his size and presence. Stamkos is a little more dynamic and better skater.

Marner and Eichel are closer in style
Matthews and Reinhart are closer in style

People can't really compare Eichel and Matthews because they're completely different players. Sure you can pick one or the other but they are apples and oranges.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
With Ryan out of the lineup for a few weeks ... not surprised. Hopefully Chad has a nice stint in Cali. I’ve always liked Chad :dunno:

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver

Pretty similar, though I notice Mathews win more puck battles.
I also watch more Leafs than Lightning.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Kevin Weekes on NHL Tonight talking about Bobrovsky likely wanting out of Columbus. Between him and Panarin, yikes. That's a lot to lose in one season.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Couldn't have asked for a better night Wild Card wise other than Boston winning.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Rantanen is just a special talent, elite playmaking ability. He’s arguably on Joe Thornton prime level right now when it comes to distributing the puck. Just an elite passer. He’s what I thought Reinhart would become.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Kevin Weekes on NHL Tonight talking about Bobrovsky likely wanting out of Columbus. Between him and Panarin, yikes. That's a lot to lose in one season.

This has been a thing for most of the season with Bob struggling out of the gate and rumors that it had to do with the fact that he was in the last year of his deal and not getting an extension done in C'bus.

The Bob and Panarin contract situations are super tricky for Columbus since they are a team that expects to be in the playoffs this season and their cap situation is halfway decent.

Although, on top of Bob and Panarin hitting UFA next summer, Werenski is an RFA as well...

Columbus Blue Jackets - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad