NHL Around the NHL 2018-19 IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
He’s knows he would get killed if they squared off. I appreciate he wanted to respond for the hit but doing it the way he did was his only chance
Total bush league move by Wilson.

And I love how the hockey media posting everywhere “Wilson KO’s Oleksiak”. He dropped him for sure but he got up almost immediately. That’s not a knockout where I come from.

Reactions: BMC

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
here's a better view that shows Oleksiak skating, head down in the flow of play and only seeing Wilson coming for a split second as Wilson is throwing off his gloves and grabbing him.

Reactions: BMC

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
here's a better view that shows Oleksiak skating, head down in the flow of play and only seeing Wilson coming for a split second as Wilson is throwing off his gloves and grabbing him.

First of all...Wilson initiated the fight but Oleksiak threw the first punch, so it was NOT a sucker punch

Second of all, he was responding to a late hit on a teammate. Anyone bitching about Hyman's late hit on McAvoy, take note on the appropriate response.

Reactions: Aeroforce

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Wilson basically instigated this fight in the safest possible way short of sucker-punching him. And now the headlines will say that Wilson is a badass. Guy is more rat than tough guy. What a *******.
Sorry. I see a guy standing up for his teammate there. If that was Backes, Miller, McQuaid or Chara this conversation isn't even happening on this board.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

And I love how the hockey media posting everywhere “Wilson KO’s Oleksiak”. He dropped him for sure but he got up almost immediately. That’s not a knockout where I come from.
Nah man, he was absolutely out for a second. He got up on wobbly legs, and needed help. He was out, briefly, but he was out of it.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
First of all...Wilson initiated the fight but Oleksiak threw the first punch, so it was NOT a sucker punch

Second of all, he was responding to a late hit on a teammate. Anyone *****ing about Hyman's late hit on McAvoy, take note on the appropriate response.

Not to jump off topic, but tell me how a guy fighting Hyman directly after the hit and leveling one of their players at center ice minutes later wasn’t a proper response? Is the only “appropriate response” to knock a guy unconscious?

It really pisses me off that people are implying that the team did nothing seemingly because no one suffered brain damage.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

He was clearly concussed. Needed help to stand up after he got up off the ice.

Clearly a KO, however you feel about Wilson.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Not to jump off topic, but tell me how a guy fighting Hyman directly after the hit and leveling one of their players at center ice minutes later wasn’t a proper response? Is the only “appropriate response” to knock a guy unconscious?

It really pisses me off that people are implying that the team did nothing seemingly because no one suffered brain damage.

The B's responded. They just didn't respond with Milan Lucic or Shawn Thornton. That is, the response was from a now smaller Bruins team. I appreciate that they did so.

But, as least for me, I want players out there who are big, physical and intimidating. If Fasek, Hyman and others knew the price, perhaps they wouldn't be so casual about knocking out our better players.

Reactions: BMC and Fenian24

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
He was clearly concussed. Needed help to stand up after he got up off the ice.

Clearly a KO, however you feel about Wilson.
The point I’m making here is that Wilson’s RESPONSE was no different than Grizz’s on Hyman after he hit McAvoy late. I’m trying to point out a double standard here. A lot of people praising Grizz for what he did, are slamming Wilson for what I think is a very similar response.

Only difference is that Wilson landed a KO because he’s had a few fights under his belt, as opposed to Grizz, who was game, but come on.......

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The B's responded. They just didn't respond with Milan Lucic or Shawn Thornton. That is, the response was from a now smaller Bruins team. I appreciate that they did so.

But, as least for me, I want players out there who are big, physical and intimidating. If Fasek, Hyman and others knew the price, perhaps they wouldn't be so casual about knocking out our better players.

I’m pretty sure that discussion on the fallacy that star players won’t get hit if you have a “tough guy” was beaten to death a week or two ago.

It’s part of hockey. And teams need to respond accordingly. The fact that Wilson is on the Caps certainly didn’t stop Oleksiak from taking a long run at a Caps player just prior.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Sorry. I see a guy standing up for his teammate there. If that was Backes, Miller, McQuaid or Chara this conversation isn't even happening on this board.
what is the late hit you're talking about? This happened less than a minute into the game. did Oleksiak hit someone late during this game or are we talking about some prior incident? In the video I linked the only history the NBC crew references is Wilson's dirty, high hit on a Pens player from May in the playoffs.

Also Wilson jumping Oleksiak here has way more to do with Rutherford's claim that Wilson was afraid to fight him in the playoffs than it does with Wilson responding to a teammate getting hit IMO.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Wilson basically instigated this fight in the safest possible way short of sucker-punching him. And now the headlines will say that Wilson is a badass. Guy is more rat than tough guy. What a *******.

One thing about Wilson.He will fight.Dirty yup.But will drop gloves.Saw him do it lots.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
One thing about Wilson.He will fight.Dirty yup.But will drop gloves.Saw him do it lots.
yeah he's not a turtle like Avery or Ott, but he's definitely a spot picker and this fight tonight is a perfect example. If his goal was to shut up his critics saying he's afraid to fight the guy then he should have squared off with him instead of surprising him like that.

Reactions: BMC and Oates2Neely

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
yeah he's not a turtle like Avery or Ott, but he's definitely a spot picker and this fight tonight is a perfect example. If his goal was to shut up his critics saying he's afraid to fight the guy then he should have squared off with him instead of surprising him like that.

They will fight again trust me.I think Oleksiak never took him serious enough.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
what is the late hit you're talking about? This happened less than a minute into the game. did Oleksiak hit someone late during this game or are we talking about some prior incident? In the video I linked the only history the NBC crew references is Wilson's dirty, high hit on a Pens player from May in the playoffs.

Also Wilson jumping Oleksiak here has way more to do with Rutherford's claim that Wilson was afraid to fight him in the playoffs than it does with Wilson responding to a teammate getting hit IMO.

Agreed.

The two hits/situations were completely different. Oleksiak’s “late” hit was a nothing play, and he barely bodied the guy. Wilson (punches thrown or not) had his gloves off and was ready to go well before he got there. Oleksiak was busting his ass to try to get back into the play, not thinking he was going to fight.

This was all about Rutherford’s comments regarding the playoffs and nothing to do with the hit. Oleksiak probably should have had his head on a swivel after what his GM said.

Unrelated manner...I like Ovi, but he gets away with a ton of shit he should be penalized for. The difference in the treatment he and a guy like Marchand receive is pretty startling.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I disagree. Tom Wilson is a grade A *****e, but I have no problem whatsoever with what he did there..

He declined Oleksiak game three last year face to face and knew he would be challenged this game so took the first opportunity he had to get the jump on him. That’s what it was about, not the check. Oleksiak will be smarter next time.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
He declined Oleksiak game three last year face to face and knew he would be challenged this game so took the first opportunity he had to get the jump on him. That’s what it was about, not the check. Oleksiak will be smarter next time.
Oleksiak will challenge him (again) next time and Wilson (again) will decline. Wilson will cling to this fight as an excuse to never have to fight him again.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad