NHL Around the NHL 2018-19 IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I think Bruins fans are jealous bc our team cant fight its way out of a wet paper bag

This is patently false.

I would not mind Reaves on the B’s because he seems like a pretty stand up guy. Wilson is a POS no matter how you slice it.

I can’t believe it, but I was actually rooting for the Pens last night because of Wilson (plus Ovechkin was acting like a Richard too).

Was texting Lou and Dan last night during the game and it struck me how often Oshie skates with his head down in “danger areas”. Only a matter of time before he gets knocked out again.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Oleksiak will challenge him (again) next time and Wilson (again) will decline. Wilson will cling to this fight as an excuse to never have to fight him again.

Just be real about it.

The fight happened. And Wilson won. Very clearly.

To talk shit about Wilson literally hours after he’s knocked the dude to the ground is pretty weak.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Just be real about it.

To talk **** about Wilson literally hours after he’s knocked the dude to the ground is pretty weak.
It’s not debatable who won the fight. I just think people throw the term “knockout” around rather freely these days. He got dropped. And immediately got up. Dazed or not he wasn’t unconscious.

I’ll talk **** about Wilson all I want. He’s a spot picker. And he’s one of the dirtiest players in the league. And it’s my opinion that he was seeking out the perfect angle to come at Oleksiak. If he didn’t fear him he would’ve let him know he wanted to scrap and squared off. Instead he came at him from the side and immediately grabbed on for dear life. He got in a solid punch and dropped Oleksiak. But we both know of (when) Oleksiak comes back at him next time they play each other, Wilson will not answer the bell.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
It’s not debatable who won the fight. I just think people throw the term “knockout” around rather freely these days. He got dropped. And immediately got up. Dazed or not he wasn’t unconscious.

I’ll talk **** about Wilson all I want. He’s a spot picker. And he’s one of the dirtiest players in the league. And it’s my opinion that he was seeking out the perfect angle to come at Oleksiak. If he didn’t fear him he would’ve let him know he wanted to scrap and squared off. Instead he came at him from the side and immediately grabbed on for dear life. He got in a solid punch and dropped Oleksiak. But we both know of (when) Oleksiak comes back at him next time they play each other, Wilson will not answer the bell.

Looked like a pretty standard response to a late hit to me. Oleksiak swung and missed and Wilson connected. This fight was a nothing fight with one good shot. Im sure Caps fans and Wilson are really worried the opinion of Bruins fans whose team should replace the spoked B with a peace sign on their jersey

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

I think you’re arguing a lot of technicalities to avoid giving Wilson any sort of credit.

He’s a dirty f***, but it is what it is. It’s not difficult to find reasons to criticize what he does. But in my opinion, this is all far more straightforward than you are making it out to be: he fought Oleksiak and won easily. You hate Tom Wilson and are adamant on finding any reason to ignore what we all saw at face value. You’re even going as far to say he’s a spot picker because of some hypothetical situation (if Oleksiak challenged him for a second fight, Wilson would refuse) which very well may never occur. Even if it did, I don’t doubt you’d find another reason to discredit Wilson if he won.

Trust me, I get the hate. But what happened happened. It’s a hockey fight in a hockey game. It not being set up exactly the way you like doesn’t negate or lessen the impact of anything.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Just be real about it.

To talk **** about Wilson literally hours after he’s knocked the dude to the ground is pretty weak.

God knows there are people on this board far more qualified than myself to talk about fighting. I have probably been in 3 real fights in my life and never on skates.

That said, you don’t need to have fought a ton to realize that there is a lot more to fighting than just throwing punches (especially when you are on skates). I have watched the fight a number of times and it’s pretty clear that Wilson had the upper hand well before the fight started.

He definitely “picked his spot” with this bout. Came from well across the ice, had his gloves off, and his hands on Oleksiak before he even knew what was going on. He had all the leverage and Oleksiak was off balance from the get go. From what I have seen of Oleksiak’s fights he’s not the best natural pugilist and relies on his size to lock up and overwhelm the other guy. He wasnt able to do that in this case. I think if the two of them fought straight up, Wilson loses pretty badly.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Oleksiak put himself out of position with that first punch he threw. Can't expect Wilson to just stand there and wait for another punch

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
God knows there are people on this board far more qualified than myself to talk about fighting. I have probably been in 3 real fights in my life and never on skates.

That said, you don’t need to have fought a ton to realize that there is a lot more to fighting than just throwing punches (especially when you are on skates). I have watched the fight a number of times and it’s pretty clear that Wilson had the upper hand well before the fight started.

He definitely “picked his spot” with this bout. Came from well across the ice, had his gloves off, and his hands on Oleksiak before he even knew what was going on. He had all the leverage and Oleksiak was off balance from the get go. From what I have seen of Oleksiak’s fights he’s not the best natural pugilist and relies on his size to lock up and overwhelm the other guy. He wasnt able to do that in this case. I think if the two of them fought straight up, Wilson loses pretty badly.
Honestly surprised how quick Oleksiak was able to get his gloves off because Wilson came in from what looked like a blind side angle to engage.

Can someone elaborate on this "late hit"? Admittedly I didnt watch the game. And I don't see it in that replay on the last page...

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Oleksiak put himself out of position with that first punch he threw. Can't expect Wilson to just stand there and wait for another punch

Sure.

Wilson was prepped and ready to go.

Oleksiak was trying to get back into the play and had no idea what was coming. You can argue that he should have been prepared for it because of Rutherford’s comments, but not that Wilson didn’t have the upper hand from the start. Oleksiak did a good job getting the gloves off as quickly as he did.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Honestly surprised how quick Oleksiak was able to get his gloves off because Wilson came in from what looked like a blind side angle to engage.

Can someone elaborate on this "late hit"? Admittedly I didnt watch the game. And I don't see it in that replay on the last page...

It wasn’t much of a “late hit” at all, not like Hyman on McAvoy for example. Oleksiak bumped a Caps player along the wall and there wasn’t much more to it.

This fight was all about Rutherford calling Wilson out for not answering the bell in the playoffs last year after the hit on Acton Reese.

Reactions: JCRO

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
It wasn’t much of a “late hit” at all, not like Hyman on McAvoy for example. Oleksiak bumped a Caps player along the wall and there wasn’t much more to it.

This fight was all about Rutherford calling Wilson out for not answering the bell in the playoffs last year after the hit on Acton Reese.

Exactly. Caps fans were upset that Reeves was 'targeting' Wilson a few weeks back - that's exactly what Wilson was doing last night.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
This is patently false.

I would not mind Reaves on the B’s because he seems like a pretty stand up guy. Wilson is a POS no matter how you slice it.

I can’t believe it, but I was actually rooting for the Pens last night because of Wilson (plus Ovechkin was acting like a Richard too).

Was texting Lou and Dan last night during the game and it struck me how often Oshie skates with his head down in “danger areas”. Only a matter of time before he gets knocked out again.

Agreed. We all said we wouldn't mind a big tough player that can play. The three of us love fighting too, and all had an issue with how Wilson handled it, but is what it is. Also good point before about Kevan Miller, he brings a nice meaness to the game and will be welcomed back

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I am not a Wilson fan but cmon tons of fights start this way . He simply got a very lucky punch in . I would put my money on oleksiak if they fight again , I think he is too big and strong for Wilson despite Wilson being a better fighter . In this case Wilson did zero wrong , oleksiak had time to set and Wilson stopped as soon as possible after the K.O.

However Crosby was one hundred percent right , with out a doubt should've been an instigator penalty.

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I am not a Wilson fan but cmon tons of fights start this way . He simply got a very lucky punch in . I would put my money on oleksiak if they fight again , I think he is too big and strong for Wilson despite Wilson being a better fighter . In this case Wilson did zero wrong , oleksiak had time to set and Wilson stopped as soon as possible after the K.O.

However Crosby was one hundred percent right , with out a doubt should've been an instigator penalty.

I agree with the instigator part, disagree that Oleksiak had time to “set”.

As far as Wilson “stopping”, Oleksiak was prone on the ice, I don’t give him props for not continuing to pummel him. This isn’t the UFC.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
He was dropped, he wasn’t unconscious
When you go out like that you were knocked out of your senses. He was unconscious, maybe not completely KO'd stiff, but he lost consciousness for a second or two. He got up, didn't know where he was, legs gave out. He was out.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
The non stop whining about Wilson is a bad look too. Very hab like
Define “whining”. I’m a fan of the rough stuff. I enjoy watching Lucic Reeves etc fighting. Jamie Benn is another guy who has some balls and throws bombs. But they’re mostly standup guys. I just don’t think Wilson is a stand up guy. He’s more Brooks Orpik to me, except dirtier

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
When you go out like that you were knocked out of your senses. He was unconscious, maybe not completely KO'd stiff, but he lost consciousness for a second or two. He got up, didn't know where he was, legs gave out. He was out.
We have different opinions on the definition of a knockout. I define knockout as being knocked unconscious/ or being knocked down and dazed to where you can’t get up. Seems like you define it as receiving a solid punch and falling down as a result of the punch (regardless of his ability to stand up quickly). Splitting hairs here. Let’s drop it (no pun intended )

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
We have different opinions on the definition of a knockout. I define knockout as being knocked unconscious/ or being knocked down and dazed to where you can’t get up. Seems like you define it as receiving a solid punch and falling down as a result of the punch (regardless of his ability to stand up quickly). Splitting hairs here. Let’s drop it (no pun intended )

don`t care to debate a knockout or otherwise.

I think Oleksiak needed to be more ready for Wilson, now, not sure it would have helped him in the fight but with a DB like Wilson, you just know he wouldn`t do the right thing and tap a guy on the shin pads and say "let`s go" and Oleksiak took the punishment as he was just too slow to react

So....would a fight like that one last night make Bruin fans feel better might be the question? Scrap and the team loses the game but won the fight?

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
don`t care to debate a knockout or otherwise.

I think Oleksiak needed to be more ready for Wilson, now, not sure it would have helped him in the fight but with a DB like Wilson, you just know he wouldn`t do the right thing and tap a guy on the shin pads and say "let`s go" and Oleksiak took the punishment as he was just too slow to react

So....would a fight like that one last night make Bruin fans feel better might be the question? Scrap and the team loses the game but won the fight?
The team is about to get Chara Miller DeBrusk Bergeron back. Plenty of toughness in that group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad