NHL Around the NHL 2018-19 IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Defense sucks. Goalie not great. One scoring line. Coach made a big mistake in benching Hall for 23 out of 27 minutes a couple weeks back, that made the team worse. Second line should be a 3rd line. 3rd line should be a 4th line. 4th line should be in AHL. They get pushed around, a lot. Don't defend teammates like they should. Team is a mess.

Thanks Lou, seems like a far cry from last year where they appeared to be hitting on all cylinders. I understand holding players accountable and I don`t know what might have led to Hall being benched but 23 minutes? Crazy, how has Hischier been this year? Only treated to his talents for one season but he was a blast to watch

Reactions: Concessionaire

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Good fit for the 4th line or not, he's a far superior player to Acciari. Even if they didn't have a spot for him last year (and they kinda didn't), this is the same team that gave &^%*n' Sean Kuraly a 3-year contract, but once again, couldn't find room for Vatrano.

Just more evidence that teams need to get away from this mentality that your 4th line has to contain three grinder-types, and letting those types of players take up roster spots just so they will move out better hockey players. We saw it with Connolly, we've seen it with Vatrano. Bruins need to stop moving out guys for peanuts (or nothing) just so they can retain the likes of Acciari and Kuraly.
I’m not so much an Acciari fan but I’d rather roll with Kuraly in a 7-game playoff series than Vatrano. I suspect Vatrano would be rendered nearly useless in a playoff series, unless of course he’s given PP time.

He’s not talented enough to be on the current Bruins top three lines, and IMO he’s not gritty/ smart enough to play on the 4th line. I was perfectly fine with the team cutting ties with Vatrano

Reactions: Tbrady12

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I’m not so much an Acciari fan but I’d rather roll with Kuraly in a 7-game playoff series than Vatrano. I suspect Vatrano would be rendered nearly useless in a playoff series, unless of course he’s given PP time.

He’s not talented enough to be on the current Bruins top three lines, and IMO he’s not gritty/ smart enough to play on the 4th line. I was perfectly fine with the team cutting ties with Vatrano

Not more talented than Nordstrom, whose occupied a place for most of the season now in the Top 9?

I seen the 4th line rendered practically useless in last year's playoffs. Especially Schaller who was the player of the 3 (including Kuraly and Acciari) who was the best overall player.

Vatrano didn't look useless during his playoff appearance with Boston in 2016. Then again, neither did Kuraly or Acciari in that series.

The myth is that 4th line grinders all of sudden become more useful in a playoff game, while non-grinders are less useful. Back in the day that may of been true, now I think it's bunk. Your not winning a bunch of playoff games 2-1 anymore than you can win all sorts of regular season games 2-1.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Agree to disagree. Nordstrom in particular (5 goals this season) I find is a very good defensive player 5 on 5. He reminds me of PJ Axelsson with his ability to get his stick in lanes. Vatrano isn’t doing anything if he isn’t scoring. And he doesn’t score enough yet to deserve a spot in a playoff lineup.

Now in a playoff series you may look at the score sheet and not see the names of Kuraly Wagner Nordstrom often, but it’s not fair to say they aren’t impacting the outcome. Vatrano on the other hand, one glance at the box score and we know whether or not he was successful in any particular game.

Reactions: BMC

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
Nordstrom is a better hockey player than Kuraly, Acciari, Schaller, and Vatrano.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
odd season for them, really anticipated after their year in 2017/18 they would be a team who would continue to grow but appears not. I think if I`m correct you catch them alot, anything you can offer to explain their year and why it`s been so disappointing please and thanks.
Shud not of let MooRe go
:sarcasm:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Its huge. Berglund agreeing to mutual termination leaves just under 13 million on the table.

Teamonly has cap hit for this year but then free and clear. Or so I’ve read.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
There has to be some really dark story behind this one...
I thought I read something about how his agent didn't get his no-trade list submitted in time so he ended up being traded to one of the teams on his list and couldn't do anything about it.

If that's the case I can't blame the guy too much for refusing to play for a team he never wanted to be on in the first place.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I thought I read something about how his agent didn't get his no-trade list submitted in time so he ended up being traded to one of the teams on his list and couldn't do anything about it.

If that's the case I can't blame the guy too much for refusing to play for a team he never wanted to be on in the first place.

Someone posted that on the main board, I believe it was a Blues fan so that might be what happened. Either way, for him to walk is really odd

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Someone posted that on the main board, I believe it was a Blues fan so that might be what happened. Either way, for him to walk is really odd
ah, here's the story:
Patrik Berglund walks away from $12.5 million as his rocky Buffalo Sabres tenure ends
The day before the trade, Berglund's full no-trade protection on his contract expired and became a modified no-trade clause, which would have allowed him to submit a list of teams to which he would not accept a trade. However, Berglund didn't immediately submit his list to the club, and the Blues jumped on the opportunity to include him in their package to Buffalo.

sounds like a guy who had zero interest in playing for Buffalo in the first place.

Reactions: Chief Nine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad