Around the NHL - 2016/17 Stretch Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Don't be surprised if Treliving is our President of Hockey Ops next year. Chayka as the GM but Treliving as a defacto AGM with a more than normal amount of input.

I think Burke will promote Don Maloney to the GM role in Calgary.

I agree with the Treliving part... I heard something similar a couple of weeks after Maloney was fired..

Our neighbors are connected with the Yotes.. and they hinted that. I was shocked as Trev was with the Flames..

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Nick Jonas halftime show. :shakehead

I generally view the NHL as having a more rock-n-roll fan base...no?

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Don't be surprised if Treliving is our President of Hockey Ops next year. Chayka as the GM but Treliving as a defacto AGM with a more than normal amount of input.

I think Burke will promote Don Maloney to the GM role in Calgary.

I'd like this. Then when Treliving gets bored and moves on to run Boston Pizza we promote Chayka to president and bring in a analytics blogger or John's sister as GM.

And after seeing Gretzky's coaching success here, why not bring him back to replace Tippett? :sarcasm:

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I'd like this. Then when Treliving gets bored and moves on to run Boston Pizza we promote Chayka to president and bring in a analytics blogger or John's sister as GM.

And after seeing Gretzky's coaching success here, why not bring him back to replace Tippett? :sarcasm:

I'd be for it if he brings THAT team with him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Because......

1). Brian Burke has zero patience and prefers the good old boys club.
2). Rumors are already circulating that Treviling won't be extended after the season.

I meant about Treviling coming here. If Burke prefers the good old boys club, why did he hire Treviling in the first place?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Hitch's biggest issues were the same as Tippett. Not great at integrating young talent, and past his shelf life. Thr first means a lot more for a budget team, but matters more under the cap than ever before. The second is just an unavoidable part of the game. Hitch was also gone after the season anyway, so while this is a bit early, it isn't much of a surprise.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
This is Jake Allen's fault. He's been just awful recently.
You could argue that it's Armstrong's fault.

The '2 in a box" coaching model was a poor decision (especially for a team that went to the WC Finals last yr), no Plan B in goal in case Allen tanked, the Shatty mess, etc.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Hitch's biggest issues were the same as Tippett. Not great at integrating young talent, and past his shelf life. Thr first means a lot more for a budget team, but matters more under the cap than ever before. The second is just an unavoidable part of the game. Hitch was also gone after the season anyway, so while this is a bit early, it isn't much of a surprise.

But the St. Louis Blues exceeded expectations and made the Conference Finals last year! Hitch should get a free pass to miss the playoffs and produce no successful results, for the next one and a half US Presidential administrations!

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
But the St. Louis Blues exceeded expectations and made the Conference Finals last year! Hitch should get a free pass to miss the playoffs and produce no successful results, for the next one and a half US Presidential administrations!

The Blues are only in year 1 of a rebuild. You need to give the coach at least 9 years of rebuild before you can even THINK about firing him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You could argue that it's Armstrong's fault.

The '2 in a box" coaching model was a poor decision (especially for a team that went to the WC Finals last yr), no Plan B in goal in case Allen tanked, the Shatty mess, etc.

Yeah, Armstrong has to take some blame, be regardless, your goaltending is your most important spot and if you don't stop the puck you won't win many games.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

The Blues didn't exceed expectations last year, conference finals was not a surprise. This year, they have less talent and horrible goal tending. The team was going to make the move this summer anyway, so they are trying to shake the team up for a playoff push. This move was coming, just 6 months ahead of schedule. The players know it is coming too, so maybe they were tuning Hitch out. The GM could be worried about his own job too, so he made the change to kind of protect himself/pass the blame.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I fully supported the Blues firing Hitchcock 2 or 3 years ago after multiple playoff failures. They didn't do it though.

Then they finally got over the playoff hump last year, and then they make this silly arrangement with a coach in waiting (and one in Yeo who isn't all that great to begin with). I mean really, is there really that much demand for him?

And now the goaltending in STL has gone completely wonky this year. Look at Hitch's track record there. Never worse than 4th in terms of goals-against, and now this year Allen can't stop a thing (pulled many games in a row and lost the job to Hutton) and Hitchcock takes the bullet for it.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Excellent and cogent point. Also worth noting that if a .390 win % over three seasons is adequate to earn a five-year extension and promotion, surely Hitchcock's .595 % over the past four years is worth some sort of front office role.

In a league that touts parity, Tippett needs five seasons to reach Hitchcock's win total for the past three. He needs to be better friends with the owners, obviously.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Excellent and cogent point. Also worth noting that if a .390 win % over three seasons is adequate to earn a five-year extension and promotion, surely Hitchcock's .595 % over the past four years is worth some sort of front office role.

The difference between a real organization and a backwater country club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad