Around the NHL - 2016/17 Stretch Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Datsyuk to Russia

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...l-datsyuk-leaving-detroit-red-wings/86081818/

The Wings had hoped Datsyuk would play out his contract, because it does not dissolve just because he leaves. Under the NHL's collective bargaining agreement, contracts signed after a player turns 35 cannot be scrapped - so the cap hit remains, though no team will have to pay the actual $5 million salary.

The Wings believe Datsyuk did not know this when he publicized his intent to leave.

That does not change the position the Wings are in: Holland must try to find a taker amongst the few teams with cap space who could absorb the contract. Such teams include Arizona, Buffalo and Carolina. Options widen if the Wings agree to take a lesser contract in return.

Make it happen: Datsyuk cap hit + prospect to Arizona

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Datsyuk knew exactly what the circumstances would be by him leaving. If can't be that dumb, can he?

Well, I think he was just sick of playing in Detroit, or it could truly be that he wanted to spend more time with family and such (as alluded to in one of the NHL articles I read).

The article I read also mentioned that they tried to move the contract, but he was unwilling to waive his NMC (I guess that would open up to him getting sued) and they were unwilling to give up the requested pieces in said deals.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well, I think he was just sick of playing in Detroit, or it could truly be that he wanted to spend more time with family and such (as alluded to in one of the NHL articles I read).

The article I read also mentioned that they tried to move the contract, but he was unwilling to waive his NMC (I guess that would open up to him getting sued) and they were unwilling to give up the requested pieces in said deals.

Why would he be sick of playing in Detroit? I think it had more to do with his family. Still leaves the Wings in a bad situation, and one of the reasons I don't like Russians on my team. The Wings gave him everything and I see no reason why he couldn't play one more season.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I hope we push for more than Pulk + 2nd. That's just an 'OK' return in my opinion. Pulk could very well bust. So just a 2nd for getting the Wings out of a serious bind?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I hope we push for more than Pulk + 2nd. That's just an 'OK' return in my opinion. Pulk could very well bust. So just a 2nd for getting the Wings out of a serious bind?

They're not in the Coyotes conference, so who cares? It'd be a shrewd move. Being the guy to nail that deal is probably worth quite a bit to Chayka. Those are essentially free assets. He should do it just on principle, to let the rest of the league know that not only will he be active, but he will be in on deals that are a tossup/first person to blink.

A 2nd plus a useful roster player or pick is plenty. Bonus points if they can send Vitale's contract back.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Drouin has rescinded his trade request

And well he should since he has moved up quite a bit in their forward depth since his outstanding playoff showing (especially since it appears Stamkos will be hitting the market). Of course that doesn't mean that they don't trade him anyway for the right package (and depending who they plan on signing from the UFA pool)

KG

Sep 23, 2010
The talking heads are saying Holland will eat the cap hit. He doesn't like the asking price which would probably look similar to the Bickell deal.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
The talking heads are saying Holland will eat the cap hit. He doesn't like the asking price which would probably look similar to the Bickell deal.

Dumb move on his behalf considering they could have a Stamos for the next 7 years and keep their well oiled machine going.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Dumb move on his behalf considering they could have a Stamos for the next 7 years and keep their well oiled machine going.

It's Detroit, they'll figure some way to weasel out of having to pay it, or they'll just blatantly go above the cap as much as they can to ice a playoff-caliber team.

Plus, they have pretty good scouting, so they'll be able to scrape into the finals with the pieces they already have (and some UFAs--perhaps they'll be able to lure Hudler back)

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Uncle%20Steven.JPG

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Why would he be sick of playing in Detroit? I think it had more to do with his family. Still leaves the Wings in a bad situation, and one of the reasons I don't like Russians on my team. The Wings gave him everything and I see no reason why he couldn't play one more season.

Thirteen year old daughter living in Russia - good enough reason, particularly if she is having issues.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Why would Stamkos sign with Detroit as opposed to anywhere else? Also Stamkos is a goal scorer, statistically his best years are behind him now

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I suppose if Stamkos' goal is to be close to home, Detroit accomplishes that, second to Toronto. Detroit will also be more competitive than Toronto.

There are a lot of teams connected to Stamkos. Toronto, Detroit, Buffalo, NYI, Florida, Tampa, etc. They all make sense and have their merits. I really don't know where he'll sign.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Leafs get Anderson from Anaheim for a relative bargain.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Leafs get Anderson from Anaheim for a relative bargain.

Leafs seem to be closing up the rebuild too. That's what a 1st overall will do and a slew of other great prospects. As much as I wish we would have one more year of bleeding it's becoming pretty obvious that the expansion and cap issues are going to help rebuilding teams jump a year ahead of their timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad