Around the NHL 2015-16: Part VII - Campy McCamp Face Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Just a bad idea IMO. He's a great player, and likely a great leader, but I think he should just focus on his game. Not leading the whole team.

Wearing a C for the Oilers isn't going to make a difference to him, he's ready to be a captain even at 19.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Just a bad idea IMO. He's a great player, and likely a great leader, but I think he should just focus on his game. Not leading the whole team.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when that decision was made.

Personally, I'd rather not give the C to anyone on their ELC.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Everything the Oilers do is awkward :laugh:

I love how the sliding door is about to shut and then it re-opens again

It's like their rebuild - it seems to close at the start of every season but it always opens up itself. :laugh:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Mathews yet to record a point in pre-season. :vhappy:

I watched their game last night, he's great, he's very much like Eichel, I just want our guy to be better.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Auston Matthews broke a pane of glass and it was news up here in Canada on every major network.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Mathews yet to record a point in pre-season. :vhappy:

I watched their game last night, he's great, he's very much like Eichel, I just want our guy to be better.
Team success will decide who got the better player. Thats how it always works. Even with McDavid. If the Oilers dont win and the Sabres do it really doesnt matter how many points he scores.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Team success will decide who got the better player. Thats how it always works. Even with McDavid. If the Oilers dont win and the Sabres do it really doesnt matter how many points he scores.

I think I get what you're saying, but to the bolded: team success hasn't been the deciding factor of the endless Crosby v. Ovechkin debates around the boards

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think I get what you're saying, but to the bolded: team success hasn't been the deciding factor of the endless Crosby v. Ovechkin debates around the boards

It hasn't? I see people bring up 2 Cups to 0 all the time.
And there must be some reason people think Toews is so far and away better than similar Cs like, say, Bergeron or (peak) Getzlaf, and that reason obviously isn't counting stats.
Team success definitely makes some difference in individual player perception.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

I hope Eichel v McDavid/Mathews turns out like Crosby v Ovechkin.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I'd love to be a fly on the wall when that decision was made.

Personally, I'd rather not give the C to anyone on their ELC.

I always thought of the captain as someone who not only led on the ice-as McDavid surely does-but was someone the younger players could look to for advice on problems that arise off ice as a very young men with the problems young men have with fame, money, gender issues, relating to team mates and different coaching styles etc. I think of going to Captain Beliveau instead of a 20 year old Guy Lafleur...

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I always thought of the captain as someone who not only led on the ice-as McDavid surely does-but was someone the younger players could look to for advice on problems that arise off ice as a very young men with the problems young men have with fame, money, gender issues, relating to team mates and different coaching styles etc. I think of going to Captain Beliveau instead of a 20 year old Guy Lafleur...

Or multiple Cup winner Henri Richard, when there were clearly more talented younger players on the Habs towards the end of his career.

That Oilers thing looks like a cheesy boy-band intro.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/10/06...d-be-an-opportunity-for-konecny-and-provorov/

First, the news — per CSN Philly, the Flyers have lost forward Scott Laughton for the next 3-4 weeks with a lower-body injury, and d-man Brandon Manning (week-to-week) with an upper-body injury.

Now, for the ramifications.

These injuries are positives for Philly’s two first-round picks at the 2015 draft: Travis Konecny and Ivan Provorov, regarded as two of the organization’s best young prospects.

Konecny, aiming to make the team after getting sent back to junior last year, could fill Laughton’s spot at forward while Provorov — who many expected to make the team anyway — gets closer to “lock†status with the Manning injury.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/10/06/isles-cut-dal-colle-and-ho-sang-barzal-and-beauvillier-remain/

The New York Islanders announced a pile of moves today.

From the team’s website:

Kyle Burroughs, Michael Dal Colle, Matthew Finn, Christopher Gibson, Jesse Graham, Josh Ho-Sang, Ross Johnston, Devon Toews and Stephon Williams were loaned/assigned to Bridgeport.

Steve Bernier, Colin Markison and Tanner Fritz were released from their PTOs.

Scott Mayfield was placed on waivers.

Dal Colle, the fifth overall pick in 2014, and Ho-Sang, who went 28th that same year, are the most recognizable names. Both players were in junior last year and are only 20 years old, so it’s no huge disappointment that they’re headed for the AHL.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
It hasn't? I see people bring up 2 Cups to 0 all the time.
And there must be some reason people think Toews is so far and away better than similar Cs like, say, Bergeron or (peak) Getzlaf, and that reason obviously isn't counting stats.
Team success definitely makes some difference in individual player perception.

People bringing it up and "some difference" is not equal to deciding factor, which is what I said.

The point I thought Sabre Dance was trying to make was that if Buffalo wins the cups and Edm/Tor don't, it doesn't matter if Eichel is the least productive player of the 3. I get that and I agree with that. I was simply saying somewhat tongue-in-cheek that that wouldn't stop endless debates starting with McDavid/Matthews is better than Eichel. Just as today, people still argue that ovechkin is/was better than Crosby even though Crosby has 2 cups.

I wasn't saying cups don't matter at all in individual player perception, only that they wouldn't settle the debates. I think you misunderstood me.

I hope Eichel v McDavid/Mathews turns out like Crosby v Ovechkin.

:yo::yo::yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad