Status
Not open for further replies.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Boston re-ups Krug

Am I going mad, or are these deals rightfully giving me giddy anticipatory sentiments about what Risto may get?!

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Eh... it seems most Bruins fans want Krug at no more than $4-4.5M per year.

If they're unhappy, we could take Krug off their hands. :naughty:
I wouldn't complain about adding a quality puck mover/PP guy on the blue line.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
This is a fallacy.

Not really. My only conclusion is that it's plausible.

Establishing that plausability is easy:
1. It is not unprecedented
2. He's already the longest tenured (i think) GM, for a team that is cash-strapped, with a pretty successful track record. There isn't even a hint of getting rid of him at this time.

Is it still more likely than not that he's not there in 9 years? Yes. But it's a lot closer than you might think.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
offer sheets:

- eight (8) have been signed since 1999

- 7 of 8 were matched

- 1 walker was Dustin Penner

- 2 of the 8 were Dmen (Weber via PHI, matched by NSH; Hammer via SJ, matched by CHI)

I don't think the Lindholm avenue is a road to be traveled.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
offer sheets:

- eight (8) have been signed since 1999

- 7 of 8 were matched

- 1 walker was Dustin Penner

- 2 of the 8 were Dmen (Weber via PHI, matched by NSH; Hammer via SJ, matched by CHI)

I don't think the Lindholm avenue is a road to be traveled.

with where the NHL has gone with cap, contracts, and the rise of RFA paydays... that damn is going to break before the next CBA tries to plug it.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
with where the NHL has gone with cap, contracts, and the rise of RFA paydays... that damn is going to break before the next CBA tries to plug it.
I would have argued more vehemently against this 36 hours ago, but with the insanity we've witnessed over the last day+, it wouldn't totally shock me to see one come up this offseason. I posted those tidbits because I believe people speak about them as if they are total commonplace...they're not. They are fun to talk about, but they never happen.

Hypothetical: what if it's Risto? Is there a price you don't match? (me: no chance)... and if he gets jacked up via this route, how do you then reallocate the cap space in your ideal scenario?

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

Disagree with you on this.

The way I have always seen it is - if a player is worth keeping then the team he plays for will match the OS unless it is a crippling deal. In which case the team making the OS will also be crippled - maybe not today but down the road.

The stat about D vs. F is also telling.

Add in the fact that there seems to be some kind of gentlemens agreement with most GM/owners over the issue (or maybe a fear of revenge) & I just don't see OS's as being viable.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
What confuses me is why some people seem to be flat out opposed to offer sheets. If the offer gets matched by the player's current team, so what? It's not like you've lost anything in trying. I don't understand the logic that we just shouldn't even attempt the offer sheet route. I get not relying on the plan, but I think it should still be explored and tried.

And don't give me the "it strains the relationship with the opposing GM" argument, I don't buy that for a second.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
What confuses me is why some people seem to be flat out opposed to offer sheets. If the offer gets matched by the player's current team, so what? It's not like you've lost anything in trying. I don't understand the logic that we just shouldn't even attempt the offer sheet route. I get not relying on the plan, but I think it should still be explored and tried.

And don't give me the "it strains the relationship with the opposing GM" argument, I don't buy that for a second.

I'd love to see how long it was between the time a team signed a guy to an OS to the next trade between those two teams.

It took a while for an Oilers-Sabres trade to happen after the Vanek OS.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Disagree with you on this.

The way I have always seen it is - if a player is worth keeping then the team he plays for will match the OS unless it is a crippling deal. In which case the team making the OS will also be crippled - maybe not today but down the road.

The stat about D vs. F is also telling.

Add in the fact that there seems to be some kind of gentlemens agreement with most GM/owners over the issue (or maybe a fear of revenge) & I just don't see OS's as being viable.

That's the point, as the cap growth fails to keep up with contract growth, teams will be in more crippling situations.

Giving up picks isn't crippling either....we traded close to 4 first rounders for Oreilly, was it crippling?

I expect the offersheet damn to break in the future, whether it's this year or the next. I think the reality that top defensemen don't make it to UFA, and they aren't traded for anything short of cornerstone type players (Hall)... the offersheet route, although costly, will prove appropriate. Just as we saw it almost happen with Hamilton last year, and rumors of Trouba/Lindholm this year.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I'd love to see how long it was between the time a team signed a guy to an OS to the next trade between those two teams.

It took a while for an Oilers-Sabres trade to happen after the Vanek OS.

Vanek offersheet was July of 2007 and the next Oilers/Sabres trade (that I can remember) was Kotalik to Edmonton in March of 2009. Less than two calendar years and Darcy wasn't exactly a wheeler and dealer.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
That's the point, as the cap growth fails to keep up with contract growth, teams will be in more crippling situations.

Giving up picks isn't crippling either....we traded close to 4 first rounders for Oreilly, was it crippling?

I expect the offersheet damn to break in the future, whether it's this year or the next. I think the reality that top defensemen don't make it to UFA, and they aren't traded for anything short of cornerstone type players (Hall)... the offersheet route, although costly, will prove appropriate. Just as we saw it almost happen with Hamilton last year, and rumors of Trouba/Lindholm this year.

I think it's fair to say that giving up picks can be crippling. At the time of the O'Reilly trade we'd held two 1sts in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015. When you're in that situation, it's quite easy to give up multiple high-value picks (or players drafted with those picks) to get the core piece you need. It's certainly not as easy if the situation is different. At some point it becomes a major risk. We aren't at that point, though, so I'd support giving up the necessary assets to acquire someone like Lindholm via offer sheet or trade.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Let's say Risto does sign an offer sheet....

1. Is it a knock on player? Doesn't want/like Buffalo?

2. Or is it a knock on Murray. Why did it drag out so long, etc

Looking back, I think Vanek wanted the $$$ and closer to MN. Plus, his heart never was in it as a Sabre.

So let's say Risto signs one July 1st, would it change your opinion of him? Bc if he signs right away, he didn't go back to Murray before he signed.

Interesting quandary to me at least....

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Looking back, I think Vanek wanted the $$$ and closer to MN. Plus, his heart never was in it as a Sabre.

So let's say Risto signs one July 1st, would it change your opinion of him? Bc if he signs right away, he didn't go back to Murray before he signed.

I'd want to know where they were at in the negotiations. I can't fault a player too much for exercising his rights.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

I'd expect him to sign it if he was offered one. It's business, and signing an offer sheet would more than likely be in his best interest.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011

To be fair Vaneks heart wasn't really in it as a wild player either. That's part of why he was bought out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad