Around the NHL 2015-16, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Who cares about playoff ppg? He plays like 1 round. It only gets harder from there

Not to mention he loses in like 5-6 games. If your the best player you should at least make it to 7 especially if you do have malkin letang and such

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
He's "the best player in the world" he should at least make it competitive :laugh: especially when he has malkin and letang on his team

Gretzky, Robataille and Blake should have been more competitive against Montreal in '93, Stevie Y, Federov and Coffey against the Devils the next year, Mario & Co. should have never lost in the 1st round, etc. There are plenty of examples of 'superior' talent falling short.

You have to have all cylinders firing in the playoffs. A handful of star players will only take you so far.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Gretzky, Robataille and Blake should have been more competitive against Montreal in '93, Stevie Y, Federov and Coffey against the Devils the next year, Mario & Co. should have never lost in the 1st round, etc. There are plenty of examples of 'superior' talent falling short.

You have to have all cylinders firing in the playoffs. A handful of star players will only take you so far.

Seriously. Your using players that got to the cup finals as an example? They went to the cup finals!! So bad

Not to mention Pittsburgh has almost missed the playoffs with "the best player in the world" for about to be 2 or 3 years

Crosby was probably only the best for about 2-3 seasons. Generationalllll

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Seriously. Your using players that got to the cup finals as an example? They went to the cup finals!! So bad

Not to mention Pittsburgh has almost missed the playoffs with "the best player in the world" for about to be 2 or 3 years

My mistake, I didn't realize we were cherry picking the criteria to support a bogus argument.

Seriously. You're using players that have won scoring titles and a Stanley Cup? They went to consecutive Cup Finals!! I hope you see the unintentional irony of your first sentence.
So bad

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
My mistake, I didn't realize we were cherry picking the criteria to support a bogus argument.

Seriously. You're using players that have won scoring titles and a Stanley Cup? They went to consecutive Cup Finals!! I hope you see the unintentional irony of your first sentence.
So bad

I said Crosby was probably the best player for 2-3 seasons. You know where he won those awards and cups. He's nowhere near the best player now and he isn't anything that he was hyped up to be. To the casual fans he was supposed to "break gretzkys records". 10 years after he and ovi retire. Ovi will be the better player

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Who cares about playoff ppg? He plays like 1 round. It only gets harder from there

Not to mention he loses in like 5-6 games. If your the best player you should at least make it to 7 especially if you do have malkin letang and such

No. He has 100 career playoff games. That's 1 less than Kronwall. Not an insignificant number at all.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I said Crosby was probably the best player for 2-3 seasons. You know where he won those awards and cups. He's nowhere near the best player now and he isn't anything that he was hyped up to be. To the casual fans he was supposed to "break gretzkys records". 10 years after he and ovi retire. Ovi will be the better player

He is everything he was hyped up to be.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
He is everything he was hyped up to be.

He won't even break lemiuexs records or come close (probably a stretch) yet he was supposed to be right behind Gretzky That won't happen after his retirement. But I'll stop talking about this so this thread gets back on topic

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He won't even break lemiuexs records or come close (probably a stretch) yet he was supposed to be right behind Gretzky That won't happen after his retirement. But I'll stop talking about this so this thread gets back on topic

Do you realize how much different scoring was then and now? Crosby's PPG is ridiculously above his peers, even with this down year. Look at how many guys put up 100+ or seasons then vs now. It would be totally unreasonable for anyone to expect him to produce like Gretzky and Lemeiux did in an entirely different era, and quite frankly I don't know a single person who did.

Crosby's point production and Ovi's goal production for the era they play in with scoring down are remarkable compared to their peers. You can't compare different era's, though. Grerzky's records won't even be sniffed in our lifetime, unless they start dramatically reducing the size of goalie pads, or make the nets bigger.

What you SHOULD compare is how Crosby dominates his peers vs how Gretzky dominated his peers. Not Crosby's stats vs Gretzky's stats, straight up. It gives you a way more accurate picture.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

How come Gretzky only made the finals once after leaving Edmonton? How come Mario and Jagr never made the finals again after 92? Were they not trying hard enough???

It's a team sport and it's ****ing hard to make the finals.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Look I'm not a Crosby fan either. Definitely always preferred Ovie but for 5 years Crosby was undoubtedly either the best or second best player in the world depending on who you ask and dominated the league in the same way Gretzky dominated in his day.

Is Crosby Gretzky? Of course not but he's been the best player or second best player of this generation...or you know a generational talent.
Still hate him though. It will be interesting to see where McDavid stacks up against Crosby.

Aug 6, 2012
bufflook.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad