Around the NHL 2015-16, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Who do you think is more overrated? Osgood?

For a backup, Gustavsson had a crazy following here. You weren't the only one to get annoyed reading GDTs when he was here.

Howard ;)

Mike Vernon. I could probably name a lot if I knew about the 60s or something in the past

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Great article here on the Vezina Trophy watch , here's the part on Mrazek :

9VOCKd8.jpg

skate skate skate

Apr 6, 2014
Europe
The Players' Tribune: John Scott - 'A Guy Like Me':
So when someone from the NHL calls me and says, “Do you think this is something your kids would be proud of?â€

… That’s when they lost me.

That was it, right there. That was the moment.

Because, while I may not deserve to be an NHL All-Star, I know I deserve to be the judge of what my kids will — and won’t — be proud of me for.

A great read!

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

going to be interesting what the league does. even if it wasn't intentional, you can't have players crosschecking officials. bad precedent

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

going to be interesting what the league does. even if it wasn't intentional, you can't have players crosschecking officials. bad precedent

I think the burden of proof here is pretty tough on the league. I know people think this is cut and dry. But in my opinion he doesn't break down and widen his legs like a guy attempting a hit. He does seem sort of surprised that somebody was there and throws his arms up to protect himself in terms of a defense argument.

They will have a call, but seriously here what is the leagues defense of throwing the book at him if he continues the line of I didn't know he was there. He is a liar.... I mean that is going to be pretty tough on an appeals process with the NHLPA backing him in terms of it is a he said (not even he/she said) incident assuming the linesman didn't hear Wideman say something to him.

I get the indefinite suspension while it is investigated. But I think it is ultimately pretty tough to prove he intentionally ran him. He didn't stride into it or do anything with his lower body that indicates a hit. In fact quite the opposite at the last second he seems to attempt shifting his feet around it not widen for contact. Ultimately I think not much will come of this.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
I don't really get his pushing motion at the end. To me, it doesn't look like so. just putting his arms up in order to protect himself from a collision.
Makes just sense to me if he mistook that guy for an opponent standing in his way.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Because I don't think he got the job done nearly as well as some people here thought. He was beaten plenty of times because of his wonky style, and he had forced himself to make spectacular saves that should have been pedestrian.

Plus add his injuries and he is one of the most overrated tendies in Red Wings history.

I think one of the problems goalies have is the butterfly nazi's that are about. If you even have a shred of hybrid or non traditional butterfly in you get **** on by fan's who only believe the only way to play goal is butterfly.

This is also one reason why I really hate Roy boy because of this and I hope he continues to suck as a coach.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Idk if his kids will be proud because the Internet chose him in. All they have to do is a little research

They sure are gonna be proud of everything else though

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't really get his pushing motion at the end. To me, it doesn't look like so. just putting his arms up in order to protect himself from a collision.
Makes just sense to me if he mistook that guy for an opponent standing in his way.

Yeah, the pushing/shoving motion looks pretty deliberate to me, and I don't buy that Wideman couldn't figure out the guy he was sending to the ice wasn't a linesman. The big black and white stripes should be a clue. And if his bell was rung to the point of not knowing it was a linesman, I have to think the guy needs to at the least be checked for a concussion, because that seems like a pretty serious lapse of mental clarity.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I gotta say, the video of Wideman sure looks damning. The ref is in his vision for a long time before he gives him a serious shove. And not just a "Oh I didn't see you" shove, a "Get the F out of my way" shove.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Yeah, the pushing/shoving motion looks pretty deliberate to me, and I don't buy that Wideman couldn't figure out the guy he was sending to the ice wasn't a linesman. The big black and white stripes should be a clue. And if his bell was rung to the point of not knowing it was a linesman, I have to think the guy needs to at the least be checked for a concussion, because that seems like a pretty serious lapse of mental clarity.

Exactly.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I gotta say, the video of Wideman sure looks damning. The ref is in his vision for a long time before he gives him a serious shove. And not just a "Oh I didn't see you" shove, a "Get the F out of my way" shove.

This assumes he is looking where you think he is. He could be looking in the second row over the bench in that angle and see nothing. Just because your head is pointed in a general direction means nothing in terms of focusing in on it. He is heading off ice after getting run himself.

Wideman's claim is he didn't mean to do it, didn't see him. He doesn't accelerate into it. Doesn't widen his legs for an intentional hit. He doesn't actually drive down at all as many keep claiming his stick is frozen in that position above his shoulders. He does pause but he is making a line change and as a 10+ year veteran knows to get off the ice. He apologized on ice for incident telling the ref he was sorry and didn't see him. Something actually the entire referee group obviously bought on ice, because he was not ejected. Also like I said keep in mind we have a long history of Dennis Wideman in this league is he this type of guy at all? If he had completely lost it wouldn't he take a couple strides really extend his arms and go to town?

I mean after all that really it doesn't matter how you see the hit for me. He has explained it as an accident and apologized to the linesman. Now if the league wants to claim he is a liar they better have something to do just that. A statement right before he ran him, players yelling as you will notice the Preds that he falls in front of seemed stunned he is in the vicinity as well. A lot of crap happens at the bench in terms of collisions or otherwise you have gone from an intense exertion of energy mentally and physically to okay gear down and recharge for the minute and a half before you are back out there.

I just don't see the evidence he has intentionally done this. Does it look bad? Sure. But so did the Weber incident on this very linesman. Cannot make the leap with a lot of people here without knowing he was warned by the bench, the linesman was announcing his presence or something was said by Wideman to remove that. Absent of that you cannot take a million bucks away from a guy and sit him indefinitely. Because if I am Wideman and you do that, well I will see you in court, because the well we think he is lying thing doesn't work out all that well in court generally.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
As mentioned before, I just don't understand his final pusing/shoving motion. Isn't looking like so. just having
his eyes towards another direction and collides unintentionally - trying to protect himself in last-second style.

Exactly that motion makes it look really intentional.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I just don't see the evidence he has intentionally done this. Does it look bad? Sure. But so did the Weber incident on this very linesman. Cannot make the leap with a lot of people here without knowing he was warned by the bench, the linesman was announcing his presence or something was said by Wideman to remove that. Absent of that you cannot take a million bucks away from a guy and sit him indefinitely. Because if I am Wideman and you do that, well I will see you in court, because the well we think he is lying thing doesn't work out all that well in court generally.

The difference with the Weber incident is the Linesman skated right into him.

Wideman's is him slowly approaching the guy, running into him and extending in a "get the **** out of my way" motion. He may not have realized until the last second, but one would think NHL players have a little more spatial awareness than that.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Not necessarily. I don't get why people get up in arms when a defenseman like Karlsson gets Norris nods. The guy can flat out play. I know, he isn't a defensive monster like Doughty (possibly the most overrated defenseman right now), but Ottawa is not exactly a powerhouse, either.

Off topic but it sounds like you don't watch the kings enough. Doughty is the Datysuk of defensemen In that he would produce a lot more offense if he forgoes his defensive responsibilities. Its blasphemous that he hasn't won a Norris yet.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Off topic but it sounds like you don't watch the kings enough. Doughty is the Datysuk of defensemen In that he would produce a lot more offense if he forgoes his defensive responsibilities. Its blasphemous that he hasn't won a Norris yet.

He's the Toews of defensemen, not Dats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad