Around the NHL 2015-16, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
doughty had one good year he maybe could have won it. Otherwise it's karlsson or subban

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Super overrated and requires tons of excuses to make up for his lesser production compared to Keith, Karlsson, Weber, etc

That's how I see it.

Doughty is one of the best defensemen in the game right now, but he has not had a season where he has really challenged for the Norris (save last year, but even then I don't agree with all the first place votes he got). If people want to pull the "more points in a more offensive system" card, then you have to acknowledge the positives of the defensive system he plays in.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
I don't think he is overrated. He may not be the top guy any particular year but he is definitely up there. Watch him play to see what he does on both ends of the ice, he would be the best player on this team right now except maybe Mrazek.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't think he's overrated, either. If we're throwing around comparisons, I'd say Fedorov in that he oozes potential throughout the regular season, and puts up reasonable numbers, before jacking his game up to another level in the playoffs. The game that guy brings in the games that count is pretty damn impressive.

If we were looking for a D for the first 82 games, there's a handful of guys in the discussion, if we're looking at a guy just for the playoffs, his name is one of a much smaller number.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
doughty had one good year he maybe could have won it. Otherwise it's karlsson or subban

Subban should have handed his Norris to Andrei Markov. No way does he win it without him. Aside from that I think Doughty brings more to the table as an all around impact player.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Subban should have handed his Norris to Andrei Markov. No way does he win it without him. Aside from that I think Doughty brings more to the table as an all around impact player.

Most awards should be handed to other people then

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Why the hell should he hand it to Markov?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He may not be the top guy any particular year but he is definitely up there.

But that's only because people stat watch and are obsessed with points. Go on the main board and look at those "rank defenseman" lists and look how much they vary every year. It's hilarious. People had Nick Leddy as a top 5 defenseman for awhile :laugh: Folks were all about Letang a few years ago and now he is way down. People just love the flavor of the month offensive defenseman that is putting up points. Guys like Doughty are complete players and one of the best two way defenseman every single year. Same thing with Pieterangelo for the most part.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Well I watch Karlsson put up points like a madman and I have a hard time taking Doughty over him, even if he is better defensively. Karlsson is just another level offensively.

Would trade Larkin and Mantha for Doughty and I love the **** out of Larkin

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well I watch Karlsson put up points like a madman and I have a hard time taking Doughty over him, even if he is better defensively. Karlsson is just another level offensively.

Would trade Larkin and Mantha for Doughty and I love the **** out of Larkin

And that's fine. And I make that trade too, probably.

If I'm building a team I'd prefer a defenseman like Doughty or Pieterangelo.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Markov carried the play on that pairing. Subban would not have been able to have a year like that paired with Emelin.

You honestly think Markov carried the play on that pairing?

Subban is a way better player, and had a remarkable year that year. And I'm not sure why playing with a good player is a bad thing, Keith has won 2 with a better partner.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
You honestly think Markov carried the play on that pairing?

Subban is a way better player, and had a remarkable year that year. And I'm not sure why playing with a good player is a bad thing, Keith has won 2 with a better partner.

Well, yes, I do think that.

Suter had an equally good year with Spurgeon as his partner so I'm not sold on Subban's Norris win. Markhov, to me, made it happen for him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well, yes, I do think that.

Suter had an equally good year with Spurgeon as his partner so I'm not sold on Subban's Norris win. Markhov, to me, made it happen for him.

Well, I would've supported a Suter win. The fact that neither Suter or Weber have won one is a joke.

But Subban absolutely drives the bus on that pairing. Do you think Markov is better than Seabrook?

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Well, I would've supported a Suter win. The fact that neither Suter or Weber have won one is a joke.

But Subban absolutely drives the bus on that pairing. Do you think Markov is better than Seabrook?

eQ56MaC.gif

I think Suter could have been close, but I haven't really seen him perform a "Norris" season. He plays a ton of minutes and is an underrated player (seriously, nobody seems to talk about him since his first season in Minnesota), but I'm not sure if I would buy it if he did win a Norris.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
eQ56MaC.gif

I think Suter could have been close, but I haven't really seen him perform a "Norris" season. He plays a ton of minutes and is an underrated player (seriously, nobody seems to talk about him since his first season in Minnesota), but I'm not sure if I would buy it if he did win a Norris.

Serious question - What does it take for you to buy someone winning a Norris?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There is no set formula, so I'm not sure what answer you want me to give you.

Well, the particular Suter season we were referring to only 2 defenseman had more points in the league. He was stellar defensively that year and logged huge minutes.

If you wouldn't have bought it that year, what would it have taken?

Edit: I don't know dude... I guess I just look at defenseman differently than most? Which is really surprising to me.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Well, the particular Suter season we were referring to only 2 defenseman had more points in the league. He was stellar defensively that year and logged huge minutes.

If you wouldn't have bought it that year, what would it have taken?

Edit: I don't know dude... I guess I just look at defenseman differently than most? Which is really surprising to me.

Perhaps my understanding of Suter's point totals compared to his peers is misconstrued. I don't remember him being #3 in the league in scoring at any point. :laugh:

Yeah, 2013 is a pretty good case for him winning the Norris considering I think he is one of the best (and most underrated among high-tier defensemen) shutdown defenders in the league. Add the great offensive numbers and he is definitely in the conversation.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Perhaps my understanding of Suter's point totals compared to his peers is misconstrued. I don't remember him being #3 in the league in scoring at any point. :laugh:

Yeah, 2013 is a pretty good case for him winning the Norris considering I think he is one of the best (and most underrated among high-tier defensemen) shutdown defenders in the league. Add the great offensive numbers and he is definitely in the conversation.

I agree, guy has been underrated for a long time. Funny how the same thing happened to Josi forever too, before he finally got his recognition. I guess Weber casts a pretty big shadow, huh?

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
That is one thing with Weber. He has been a ridiculously consistent defenseman and Nashville is incredibly lucky to have him. Guy just flat out performs every season.

When the current top-tier defensemen retire, I will be curious to see how history looks back on the current era of players. There are some really good defensemen currently playing (and Detroit has none of them :().

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad