Around the NHL 2015-16: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Columbus in general looks silly. Thought maybe they would have a 2nd half turn around like last year but I don't see it happening. Awful team. Congratulations at trading your crybaby franchise center for what you hope is a franchise defensemen but it doesn't really help your team. Now they have to hope they can land Matthews at the draft so that in two years he's as good as Johanssen. Then by that time your veterans are on their last legs and you're recycling roster spots again. One step forward two steps back in Columbus ever since Jarmo took over.
I mean, obviously that goal by McDavid was amazing, but I still can't figure out what that second defenseman was trying to accomplish by coming across, stabbing at the pucking, and then falling over. It looked like a junior hockey play.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Jack Eichel watches that replay and the goal doesn't even amaze him. It's the one touch pass by Eberle to get the play going that has him crying. Has Eichel been on the ice for a play half that nice by a teammate all season?

McDavid is still on another level. I don't think it's that close, either.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
McDavid is still on another level. I don't think it's that close, either.

I've always said McDavid is the best player of that young of age that I've seen in my lifetime. I'm only 24, but still. I honestly was more unsure about what level of awesome that Jack was going be (either Lemieux like (that was always a stretch) or Stamkos like). I always thought Connor was going to be the best player in the league for a long time either way.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Will McDavid still finish with more points than Eichel?

I understand your brand is trolling, but I'll answer, anyways: it's unlikely. Eichel has been a point/game since before Christmas. Even if he tails off a little bit and only scores 25 pts in the final 32 games, that's 59 pts. McDavid would have to score 44 in his final 31 for a tie. Not impossible, but he's not playing the Columbus Blue Jackets every night, either.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
nHH0AKB.jpg

Canada's Game.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Glad to see McDavid not missing a beat, he's incredibly fun to watch. I have no idea what the hell the Columbus defense was doing on his goal, though. :laugh:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I mean, obviously that goal by McDavid was amazing, but I still can't figure out what that second defenseman was trying to accomplish by coming across, stabbing at the pucking, and then falling over. It looked like a junior hockey play.
As noted, the touch-pass by Eberle to allow McDavid another stride of acceleration without the puck was special.

Nice move through Jack Johnson. Johnson, and especially Justin Faulk, just grossly misplayed it. First person take the man, second person take the puck.

And a deke on a rookie goaltender.

Yes, a nice play in front of a home crowd, but let's not pretend that Columbus plays NHL-quality defense.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Maybe he's upset with how they treated Scott

I have a feeling Darcy "Yes Man" Regier might be the fall guy for the John Scott saga in Arizona, actually. The Sabres did some petty **** when he was GM, including losing McKee to UFA because they tried to save what, $30k? And the whole issue with going to war with anyone who took them to arbitration, most notably Danny Briere.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
As noted, the touch-pass by Eberle to allow McDavid another stride of acceleration without the puck was special.

Nice move through Jack Johnson. Johnson, and especially Justin Faulk, just grossly misplayed it. First person take the man, second person take the puck.

Yes, a nice play in front of a home crowd, but let's not pretend that Columbus plays NHL-quality defense.

Schultz.

Justin Faulk would have never looked that foolish

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future

Agreed. Most teams with competent defense could have handled that cleanly. Not to take away from McDavid's clear skill set. :amazed:

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Columbus in general looks silly. Thought maybe they would have a 2nd half turn around like last year but I don't see it happening. Awful team. Congratulations at trading your crybaby franchise center for what you hope is a franchise defensemen but it doesn't really help your team. Now they have to hope they can land Matthews at the draft so that in two years he's as good as Johanssen. Then by that time your veterans are on their last legs and you're recycling roster spots again. One step forward two steps back in Columbus ever since Jarmo took over.

What's crazy to me is every single contract they gave out was about 10-15% over market simply because people don't want to come to Columbus...but when it came to Johansen....let's play hardball. They have a whole bunch of middle six forwards locked up to long term, expensive deals and no top line players (except maybe Saad). Sure Johansen was no saint during the process either, but you can't simply toss away your franchises top center. Make peace and get him extended. Finding a new GM is alot easier than finding a franchise center.

The entire front office there needs to be canned. Blame their problems on injuries, blame it on "bad luck", the fact is that the front office has made a long string of bad moves with bad results. And honestly, if the front offices strategy is to "tank" the rest of the season and hope to win a 1 in 5 lottery.....really really really awful idea. What they should do is try to purge out every contract of a player over 25 now. Build around your youngsters are pray one of the centers they have (Jenner/Wennberg) can fill that #1 center void while Jones/Werenski hopefully become a top pairing D-pair.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
For sure, but at at what point does Bergevin look at the roster and ask "what the **** did i do?"

He knows that he took advantage of having a MVP goalie. It's a much quicker way to rebuild a team than the long tear down and rebuild. It's obvious flaw is being terribly exposed right now.

But in that market I'm not sure any GM would have the balls to do a complete tear down and build through the draft.

Last edited:

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Justin Falk, actually. Schultz is on McD's team.

Amazing the difference one little letter "u" can make. :laugh:

He knows that he took advantage of having a MVP goalie. It's a much quicker way to rebuild a team than the long tear down and rebuild. It's obvious flaw is being terribly exposed right now.

But in that market I'm not sure any GM would have the balls to do a complete tear down.

I have never paid close enough attention to Montreal to see how they are building/rebuilding the team, but yeah, montreal does not seem like the market for making big sweeping changes, at least not if you want to have any sort of career longevity.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Glad to see McDavid not missing a beat, he's incredibly fun to watch. I have no idea what the hell the Columbus defense was doing on his goal, though. :laugh:

McDavid's game last night reminds me of Eichel's first couple games where the teams just didn't know how to react to him. Not taking anything away from McDavid's game, he was best player on the ice last night by far, but, I expect he's going to have alot less time and space in future games. Though, he's in a great position with Draisatl-Hall playing so well on the other line.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

But in that market I'm not sure any GM would have the balls to do a complete tear down.

Norris trophy winning d-man, enough offense to get by, probably the softest division in the NHL...the Habs SHOULD be an average team without Price. Issue is their coach is awful and lost the room. Price saved their bacon alot, sure, but even the Hasek era Sabres were able to skate along at .500 without Hasek.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
McDavid's game last night reminds me of Eichel's first couple games where the teams just didn't know how to react to him. Not taking anything away from McDavid's game, he was best player on the ice last night by far, but, I expect he's going to have alot less time and space in future games. Though, he's in a great position with Draisatl-Hall playing so well on the other line.

i'd also add that McDavid is well rested. He hasn't played in months, so his energy level is likely through the roof. Not trying to draw comparisons between two different style of players, but i don't think it's coincidental that Eichel came back from the christmas break re-energized and with a bit more jump in his step (i expect more after the allstar break).

As the rest of the season wears on with no breaks, i'll be lookin to see if McDavid's speed slows down a titch

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It goes to show how valuable Price is to the Habs.

It's not even just that, though. Their offense has totally tanked. Even missing Price earlier in the year, they were still scoring enough to win. The rate they're scoring now, they wouldn't be good even with Price back and healthy. He can't pitch a shutout every game.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Norris trophy winning d-man, enough offense to get by, probably the softest division in the NHL...the Habs SHOULD be an average team without Price. Issue is their coach is awful and lost the room. Price saved their bacon alot, sure, but even the Hasek era Sabres were able to skate along at .500 without Hasek.

They should acquire Bylsma to motivate the room but keep Therien's system in place :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad