Around the NHL 2015-16: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
What happened to the kid? He was trending towards being a legit 50-60 point player and after he signed that contract Darcy gave him he has completely fallen off. Not even a stutter step before falling. Just straight dropped off a cliff.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
What happened to the kid? He was trending towards being a legit 50-60 point player and after he signed that contract Darcy gave him he has completely fallen off. Not even a stutter step before falling. Just straight dropped off a cliff.

I was listening some to the Sharks - Preds game on the way home from MY hockey game and they were talking about Hodgson. They said they signed him for the same money they signed Ribeiro for a year ago and was hoping for at least a good third line center for little risk. Then they mentioned he just seemed too slow and small but "it was still early"...

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
littletonhockeycoach said:
It was totally mishandled. The only one who would have been upset was Duchene IMO. Always thought he was a bit of a cry baby anyways

Landeskog's reaction 2 years ago when O'Reilly finally signed was classic..." I don;t care how much he makes. He makes us a better." (or something lose to that.)

The players know what their team mates value is......

Couple things ... I don't think the "Duchene cap" was actually a thing that was necessarily real when it came to the salary structure -- rather that excuse was trotted out in the media for leverage against ROR and to let him know just where he stood with the team. And it had the additional "benefit" of turning public opinion against him (which, again, is all too illuminating about where ROR stood with the team).

There's a thin line there, but I do think there's a difference. Whatever the case, it ended up creating a fracture in the team, obviously -- I don't know why you would ever publicly drag a second player's name into contract disputes with another player. That is terrible business.

But this also clearly showed a complete misunderstanding of the type of character O'Reilly is. For a guy whose efforts and talents are so often underappreciated because his primary contributions tend not to show up on score sheet, I think it's paramount that you let him know that you understand just what he brings -- and not use stats against him to imply he's less of a player.

I'm not saying ROR is a crybaby that has to be coddled, as some COL fans have begun to tell themselves -- rather, he's a proud guy, a warrior, and if you make him feel like you're trying to take advantage of him, you're gonna regret it. He's not going to cave.

But the fans took the front office's propaganda hook line and sinker and turned against ROR because how dare he not take less money for the good of the team, like Matt Duchene so heroically did? ROR can't possibly be as good as Duchene, because Duchene was drafted higher, can skate in a straight line really fast, and stick handles very fancily! Oh, if only that's how hockey games were won.

It started to feel like rooting for a cult.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
If I was Carolina I would slow cook him in the AHL considering Carolina is pretty much a tire fire. They need to start the rebuilding process. Move out Ward and the Staal's for picks and young assets. Allow Eddie Lack to take over net and become their starter. Let Lindholm play first line center and move the kids already acclimated to the NHL up.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If I was Carolina I would slow cook him in the AHL considering Carolina is pretty much a tire fire. They need to start the rebuilding process. Move out Ward and the Staal's for picks and young assets. Allow Eddie Lack to take over net and become their starter. Let Lindholm play first line center and move the kids already acclimated to the NHL up.

Funny thing is, they're not that bad. They're sixth in score-adjusted Corsi, and only two teams start a higher percentage of their shifts in the offensive zone than the Canes. That's usually a recipe for ES success. For example, the top seven teams in ES O-zone start % all have a positive ES goal differential, except for the Canes who've managed a -8. Their goaltending is, again, their achilles heel. I agree that they should dump Ward--or, at the very least, relegate him to full-time backup--and give Lack the lion's share of the net. Couple that with a poor SH% (not quite as bad as ours), and it's tough to win many games.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Anyone else see that Malkin "pass" to Kessel last night for a goal?

I keep seeing Malkin get all this credit for that pass. People saying how amazing it was.

To me, it sure looked like he just lost the puck stick handling and it just happened to find Kessel right in front of the net... You can see the puck just got away from him, or at least that's how it looked to me.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
11 points now for McDavid in his last 7 games. Incredible.
He just added two assists tonight and completely dominated Montreal. We lost out on an incredible player and it stings. Eichel makes it better but theres still the fact we lost out on Connor (Gretzky) McDavid.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
He just added two assists tonight and completely dominated Montreal. We lost out on an incredible player and it stings. Eichel makes it better but theres still the fact we lost out on Connor (Gretzky) McDavid.

He did not completely dominate Montreal ... he was pretty much invisible up until well into 3rd period.

The kid is great..playing better than Eichel right now.... the book will be written years down the road what we did or didn't lose out on.

Leon Draisaitl had 2 goals tonight and has looked awesome but not a peep about you worrying about losing out on anything when it comes to Reinhart ... Get over it. I really don't want to listen to the whine all damn year.

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005

My goodness, is this what we will read for losing a lotto ball drawing? Jack is fine.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Fifth in the league in scoring. After a slow start. Incredible.

It's debatable who has better forwards around them helping them finish. For offensive purposes, I'd imagine Edmonton. Jack is fine, but Mcdavid is much, much better than fine.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Fifth in the league in scoring. After a slow start. Incredible.

It's debatable who has better forwards around them helping them finish. For offensive purposes, I'd imagine Edmonton. Jack is fine, but Mcdavid is much, much better than fine.

Just do yourself a favor and don't go in the McDavid vs Eichel thread on the NHL board.

The Hyperbole going on there about McDavid is out of control :laugh:

One poster suggested that McDavid's performance vs Eichel's proves the OHL is vastly superior to the NCAA and that Domi/Ducliar are both better prospects :laugh::laugh:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Jack hasn't been playing that smart in the offensive zone the last couple of games. 8 shots last night but how many of them were chances?

I feel like it's gone from waiting for the offensive breakout game to hoping he can just keep the same level of focus. Something besides puck luck is off right now and that mental part of the game might be what needs the most work.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Coho was such a let down man. Could of been part of our core.

Vancouver won that over-hyped trade by virtue of the Sabres having been stuck with the Buyout bill. At least Vancouver got a marginally bottom six serviceable player for Kassian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad