Around the NHL | 2013 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Kid put up 37 goals in his draft year. No idea how he slid to 47.

I always thought too much stock was put in his skating. Sure, he's not fast, but he's got outta this world hockey sense. The puck seems like it follows him around the offensive zone. You can't teach that.

Much like our own Mark Stone. Different circumstances with their draft positions. Both guys have massive upside as top 6 guys and are far more valuable now than when they were drafted. Toffoli's a better finisher, but Stone's gonna be able to bully his way in front of the net more.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Much like our own Mark Stone. Different circumstances with their draft positions. Both guys have massive upside as top 6 guys and are far more valuable now than when they were drafted. Toffoli's a better finisher, but Stone's gonna be able to bully his way in front of the net more.

At least Stone's slide can be put on injuries. He also wasn't as dominant offensively his draft year as Toffoli was. I really couldn't believe Toffoli dropped so far.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Tyler Tiffoli + 2nd to OTT for Ben Bishop.

I know, that makes no sense for the Kings... but I can dream, right?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Brodin is a very impressive rookie D. Looks like he's gonna be part of that Swedish national team defense soon with OEL and Karlsson. He could already be better than Hedman.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Brodin is a very impressive rookie D. Looks like he's gonna be part of that Swedish national team defense soon with OEL and Karlsson. He could already be better than Hedman.

His defense has been exceptional. OEL, Hedman, Karlsson, Brodin (?), Enstrom, Kronwall looks like a scary combo in 2014.

Canada is still better though. :p:

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
Maybe that TSN feature on Lou and Schneider was a comedic cover for the truth and Luongo took out Schneider :sarcasm:

I hope those that assumed Schneider was a better goalie than Luongo (because the team couldn't score against the 8th placed seed last year that blocked shots, played a defensive game and had great goaltending), ... enjoy the taste of crow.

Luongo played great and is an elite goaltender in the league, year after year. I recall that shift in attitude was the result his stellar goaltending smothered by the lifeless offense over a three game time frame..., which inevitably required a scapegoat.

I love the Canucks, but Luongo is their No. 1# They should nurture a 1A - 1B tandem.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Thread on the Blues board about what to do with Brian Elliott. I was rooting for him, but same story as here, he can play great but just cannot handle the pressure of being the #1 guy. Last year with the split duties was about right, not he is repeating his pattern in Ottawa.

burf

Mar 27, 2012
Kinda funny that Sweden has the exact opposite problem that Canada has. Almost all of Canada's best d-men are right handed shooters who play almost exclusively on the right side in the NHL (Keith is the only elite LHD). Meanwhile, all of Sweden's elite D-men are LHD, except for Karlsson who shoots right.

It'll be interesting to see if they bring slightly lesser skilled guys who play the side they're short on, like Marc Staal or Adam Larsson, given how difficult it seems to be for some D-men to adjust to playing their wrong side (see the Alex Edler Experience in Vancouver this year for evidence)

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Thread on the Blues board about what to do with Brian Elliott. I was rooting for him, but same story as here, he can play great but just cannot handle the pressure of being the #1 guy. Last year with the split duties was about right, not he is repeating his pattern in Ottawa.

Halak isn't faring much better. Perhaps it's time for Hitchcock to once again pack up his bindle with pudding cups and move on down the road, because somewhere out there is a lost team looking for a little life-sucking defensive strategy.

Billy Mays Here*

Kinda funny that Sweden has the exact opposite problem that Canada has. Almost all of Canada's best d-men are right handed shooters who play almost exclusively on the right side in the NHL (Keith is the only elite LHD). Meanwhile, all of Sweden's elite D-men are LHD, except for Karlsson who shoots right.

It'll be interesting to see if they bring slightly lesser skilled guys who play the side they're short on, like Marc Staal or Adam Larsson, given how difficult it seems to be for some D-men to adjust to playing their wrong side (see the Alex Edler Experience in Vancouver this year for evidence)

Brodin has played the entire year on the right side next to Suter so he should be able to to the same for team Sweden if he makes their roster.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
The Canucks are getting robbed by Backstrom. Luongo is playing well; isn't this his fourth straight start now?

Was at the game again tonight, Backstrom was unbelievable. Was holding on to everything even through traffic, no rebounds other than the goal that scored. Real solid performance.

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
That puck actually never got to Backstrom from the angles I saw, came off Daniel back out onto Henriks stick. Backstrom was super solid

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa
Jets just scored two back to back goals, now up 2-1 against Boston with 7:18 left in the 3rd

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
EDIT: ^Ninja'd :whatever:

WOW! Jets just scored 2 goals on the Bruins in the span of a minute after being down 1-0 in the 3rd.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Habs held to just one point, Jets just went up 2-1 on the Bruins.

We may still have a chance of winning our division, especially if Spezza gets back soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad