InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
TortorellaReamsOutEdler.gif

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Not a big fan of him, also liked his I don't talk about the other team, when asked about Kreider going nuts on the Nucks. I mean honestly how hard is it to say I thought he played a hell of a game. He can decline the follow up if they ask why did you keep him down or something, but to comment on what did you think of Chris Kreider's game with a I don't talk about the team, which he tries not to but lets be honest I have seen him do it plenty of times. Why not throw the kid a bone, Kreider certainly took the high road in his interviews amazing a early 20's kid could find a way to do that while Torts could not.

We will see, they seem to have hit a bump in the road lately and being stuck in that Western Conference, maybe good ole Torts will be available to comment on how much the Quiz sucks on TSN in the playoffs.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Don't really know where else to put this feel like we should have a sticky thread for European hockey especially with the wide range of posters around here. But watched our old friend Kozlov just score his 18th point of the season in 30 games. Getting some pretty decent ice-time as well. I know he is supposed to participate in the Winter Classic, think it is cool his team is letting him come do that. Anyway still going strong for Spartak in the KHL, has won the Gagarin Cup twice since leaving the NHL as well. Always kind of an under-appreciated guy.

Johnz96*

Penner is back in Anaheim.
9 goals 21 points in 22 games 2nd in the league with a +17.
:amazed: :m-confused:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
watched devils after a while, brunner was pretty invisible. devils are pretty good team defensively.

subban and price were amazing as usual. both would make my team canada. DD seems to have waken up. gally score but has been pretty quiet the past few games. murray is still a tank but watching him skate is hilarious. i think they are wings second biggest threat in this division. they are going to have a very good team for a while with the help of timmins, if bergevin doesn't screw it.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/p...-enforce-on-ice-respect/#.Up1hWsnPbzo.twitter

Avs captain and Hockey Hall-of-Famer Joe Sakic lined up near the Wings bench before a faceoff, Avery stood up and yelled at Sakic to get his attention.

However, in the two or three seconds it took Sakic to turn his head toward Avery, Red Wings veteran and star winger Brett Hull stood up, reached around another Detroit player, grabbed Avery by the back of the jersey and unceremoniously yanked him back to the seated position before he could utter another word.

“You do not get to talk to Mr. Sakic,” Hull said.

And that was that.

“I was like, ‘Look, you have not earned the right or anything else to be able to talk to Joe Sakic in any manner,’ ” Hull said in a phone conversation late last week. “No matter what (Avery) was going to say, it was not going to be good.”

“With the guys we had on our team – myself, Brendan (Shanahan) and Stevie (Yzerman) – guys played hard and played to win, but when we played Colorado and all the other great teams, we had a lot of respect for them,” Hull said. “They were champions and unbelievable players. And I just never believed in all that chirping anyway.”

thought this was pretty cool.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Hull.... advocating silence? Whaaaaaa? :)

That is a pretty cool piece.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Granted we had him in the beginning and he lived above Brett Hull's garage. However while he was still a pest, we seemed to be the only team that ever really had firm control on Avery. Now maybe they traded him as soon as the problems started to present themselves in a way the locker room and coaching staff wasn't able to reign in. But I have always found that interesting, Detroit had a pretty good handle on him, Hull and Yzerman certainly helped a ton, but funny how they could keep even Sean Avery under lock and key.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
With the number of vets and HOFers on that roster, it's no surprise Detroit controlled him better than anyone else. But even the Wings could only do it for so long. He did eventually misbehave his way out of Detroit.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Jimmy Howard's contract continues to look solid. But let's not be surprised with Lundqvist's contract though. Corey Crawford re-upped for 6million per over 6 years. David Clarkson, a fringe second liner signed for 7 years at like 5.3M per.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think I would have dealt Lundquist at that point. He's not good enough to have carried them to a cup run the last five years, I think it's unlikely he's ever going to do it. Instead of paying him a king's ransom to be very very good, deal him, and rebuild a bit with an average goalie but a good chunk of available cash.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I think I would have dealt Lundquist at that point. He's not good enough to have carried them to a cup run the last five years, I think it's unlikely he's ever going to do it. Instead of paying him a king's ransom to be very very good, deal him, and rebuild a bit with an average goalie but a good chunk of available cash.

And sign who though? The Nathan Horton's of the world? I think that's extremely risky and you'll end up paying someone more than they're worth anyway. Might as well be a fan favorite and a top 3 goalie in the league.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
And sign who though? The Nathan Horton's of the world? I think that's extremely risky and you'll end up paying someone more than they're worth anyway. Might as well be a fan favorite and a top 3 goalie in the league.

How much really separates Lundquist from the fourth best goalie? Or the tenth? With where that organization is, and where it's been, paying a goalie $8.5m isn't likely to be a great move. And they should feel pretty comfortable at going out and finding a guy who can stop ~91% of shots he faces, while freeing up $3-5m to spend on an upgrade elsewhere.

Maybe I underrate the guy, but being top3 right now isn't the same as when we had Roy, Hasek, and a prime Brodeur in the league. It's money I'd put to use elsewhere.

NyquistIsMyGod*

How much really separates Lundquist from the fourth best goalie? Or the tenth? With where that organization is, and where it's been, paying a goalie $8.5m isn't likely to be a great move. And they should feel pretty comfortable at going out and finding a guy who can stop ~91% of shots he faces, while freeing up $3-5m to spend on an upgrade elsewhere.

Maybe I underrate the guy, but being top3 right now isn't the same as when we had Roy, Hasek, and a prime Brodeur in the league. It's money I'd put to use elsewhere.

There's a pretty big difference between Henrik Lundqvist, the #1 goaltender in the NHL, opposed to the #10 goaltender in the NHL. Contracts are also going up. I think this deal is far too much, but it's not nearly one of the worst in the NHL. You're doubtful to get fair value back for Lundqvist.

Henrik hasn't won a cup? Okay, Tuukka Rask nor Pekka Rinne have (Rask has but not as a starter). The Rangers have generally been a mess too outside of Lundqvist, who has dragged them into the playoffs many times. You really seem to be underrating how big of a loss Lundqvist would be.

I wouldn't call Lundqvist making 3M more than Crawford that crazy. Wait until a big free agent hits the market too. If Horton and Clarkson are getting 5+ million over 6-7 years, just imagine a superstar like Lundqvist, or even an all-star. Zach Parise is making 7.5M over the next 11 years for crying out loud.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Rangers have a ton of RFA and UFS's next year too.

Rumors are the cap could hit as high as 90M in 4 years. You best believe Henrik's agent was comparing the potential contract to other contracts as well during this. There'a a trend happening right now. It's higher cap hits and less years, which is the opposite from the previous contracts which were 10+ years on 6+ million.

The Rangers have done a shocking good job with RFA re-signings as well.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I knew there was no chance NYR let him leave. But ick...that cap hit.

cap hit ain't the thing they should be worrying about it's the term.

and you don't let the best goalie of the almost past decade to walk just because of that.

not many players even in the whole league have shown the same consistency of lundqvist.

term isn't great and he might be even below average goalie by the end of it. or he might not. they are in win now mode anyway.

would the wings have let datsyuk walk if he wanted 6 or 7yr deal? i think not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad