Around the NHL 2013-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Shelfer

Bingo Bango!
Dec 22, 2008
The Motor City
I remember watching a preseason a year or two ago and Orpik crosschecked The Mule in the head against the boards so I have no sympathyfor that pos.
Orpik is a goon and should of fought Thornton when he confronted him.
Now Orpik is a common lowlife NHL pest in my opinion and less of a man than Thornton.
Thornton lost his temper and will pay for his actions don't worry as he should.
Fighting leaves the NHL and I stop watching it.
Dream on like world without war and crime.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Honestly, Orpik should stop with the theatrics, that's embarassing.

The man was knocked out. Unconscious, which is why they called the stretcher. He apparently regained consciousness while being taken off the ice. How is that theatrics? I'm really interested to see how you justify this one.

And for everybody saying "Orpik deserved it", well, Thornton doesn't feel as bloodthirsty in hindsight.

Shawn Thornton says he made a mistake. "I feel awful. I felt sick all game."

I'm just glad Orpik is looking alright for now and Thornton is taking the high road on this one.

crashman

Now, I honestly don't want to see any players get seriously hurt, but...

It's kinda nice to see the Pens and Bruins beating up on each other. In my opinion, they're the only 2 teams that pose a threat to a healthy Red Wings team in the East. The Habs may be on a roll, but I don't think they're anything to worry about.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
The man was knocked out. Unconscious, which is why they called the stretcher. He apparently regained consciousness while being taken off the ice. How is that theatrics? I'm really interested to see how you justify this one.

And for everybody saying "Orpik deserved it", well, Thornton doesn't feel as bloodthirsty in hindsight.

Shawn Thornton says he made a mistake. "I feel awful. I felt sick all game."

I'm just glad Orpik is looking alright for now and Thornton is taking the high road on this one.

It's all a show for the media, Orpik made theatrics over it (also it's better if team doctors reports he lost conciousness) to gain some advantages (less focus on Neal incident, get Thornton suspended for longeretc). And what's Thornton supposed to say: "Orpik is a *****, I barely touched him, he had his helmet on and visor on and I had my gloves on, his head/helmet didn't hit the ice either." Of course he's going to be regretful because that's what the media and his peers expect of him in this situation.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's all a show for the media, Orpik made theatrics over it (also it's better if team doctors reports he lost conciousness) to gain some advantages (less focus on Neal incident, get Thornton suspended for longeretc). And what's Thornton supposed to say: "Orpik is a *****, I barely touched him, he had his helmet on and visor on and I had my gloves on, his head/helmet didn't hit the ice either." Of course he's going to be regretful because that's what the media and his peers expect of him in this situation.

So let me get this straight.

Oprik faked his concussion. Then the refs and doctors conspired with him reporting he was unconscious? And then, to keep the show going, they took him to the hospital and ran him through a bunch of tests to... once again, fool everybody. All the while licensed medical staff, who could face strict punishment for "playing along", keep the charade going. All to suspend a guy who plays 8 minutes a night.

And while your cynicism is noted, I think it's far more likely Thornton is actually sincere about not wanting to hurt somebody. He plays with an edge, but only a psychopath would want to actually hurt somebody in the fashion he did.

In your version, we have a multi-leveled conspiracy in which everybody involved is lying. I'm going to call bogus.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
So let me get this straight.

Oprik faked his concussion. Then the refs and doctors conspired with him reporting he was unconscious? And then, to keep the show going, they took him to the hospital and ran him through a bunch of tests to... once again, fool everybody. All the while licensed medical staff, who could face strict punishment for "playing along", keep the charade going. All to suspend a guy who plays 8 minutes a night.

And while your cynicism is noted, I think it's far more likely Thornton is actually sincere about not wanting to hurt somebody. He plays with an edge, but only a psychopath would want to actually hurt somebody in the fashion he did.

In your version, we have a multi-leveled conspiracy in which everybody involved is lying. I'm going to call bogus.

He didn't get a concussion, he was cleared right away and could even fly with the team, no head-trauma at all... the "lost concious" thing is accoring to team doctors, not un-biased personel at the hospital.

It's similar to this situation

Player dives/fakes/playing theatre to get a player ejected, on comes the stretcher and player is cleared pretty much straight away (you don't see the stretcher and that in that clip but thats what happens)

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
He didn't get a concussion, he was cleared right away and could even fly with the team, no head-trauma at all... the "lost concious" thing is accoring to team doctors, not un-biased personel at the hospital.

Player dives/fakes/playing theatre to get a player ejected, on comes the stretcher and player is cleared pretty much straight away (you don't see the stretcher and that in that clip but thats what happens)

Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory thinks you're going overboard on this one ;)

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
First of all, I don't know how you think Alves dives there. There are quite a few Barça players known to dive often, but in this instance, that was an awful challenge from Pepe (who is a ****ing psycopath). Maybe Alves embellishes and recovers relatively quickly, but that is not a dive.

Now, in Orpik's situation, when Thornton punches him while he is on the ground (which is a dick move regardless) he hits his head on the ice. Yeah the helmet takes a lot of the impact, but it doesn't take much to get a concussion or lose consciousness. You can be the biggest, meanest mother****er in the world, the head is still a sensitive area of the body.

I think Bench covered most of how the "theatrics" theory is pure BS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
mindfly is incorrect that a player with a concussion cannot fly on a plane.

This season on HFBoards has for some reason been utterly ridiculous when it comes to posters accusing players who were legitimately hurt - in many cases taken to the hospital and later missing games - of faking or embellishing. A lot of Ottawa fans utterly embarrassed themselves doing just that with the Datsyuk injury, and rather than owning up to it many doubled down on their own stupidity and continued to insist Datsyuk was faking, missing games to get a far less valuable player suspended.

crashman

mindfly is incorrect that a player with a concussion cannot fly on a plane.

This season on HFBoards has for some reason been utterly ridiculous when it comes to posters accusing players who were legitimately hurt - in many cases taken to the hospital and later missing games - of faking or embellishing. A lot of Ottawa fans utterly embarrassed themselves doing just that with the Datsyuk injury, and rather than owning up to it many doubled down on their own stupidity and continued to insist Datsyuk was faking, missing games to get a far less valuable player suspended.

No, no, no! Datsyuk was just trying to save his reputation, that's why he missed a couple weeks. :sarcasm:

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack

Come on, mindfly. Thats just nonsensical

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
First of all, I don't know how you think Alves dives there. There are quite a few Barça players known to dive often, but in this instance, that was an awful challenge from Pepe (who is a ****ing psycopath). Maybe Alves embellishes and recovers relatively quickly, but that is not a dive.

Now, in Orpik's situation, when Thornton punches him while he is on the ground (which is a dick move regardless) he hits his head on the ice. Yeah the helmet takes a lot of the impact, but it doesn't take much to get a concussion or lose consciousness. You can be the biggest, meanest mother****er in the world, the head is still a sensitive area of the body.

I think Bench covered most of how the "theatrics" theory is pure BS.
Reckless challenge by Pepe, but in fact, he doesn't touch him, look closely, alves is just perfect with his timing to move his leg lateral.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Reckless challenge by Pepe, but in fact, he doesn't touch him, look closely, alves is just perfect with his timing to move his leg lateral.

Alves does dive, I've seen it first hand, but in this instance it's impossible for him to rotate and fall like he did without some kind of force pushing his leg (ie. Pepe's challenge). Alves is already going for the ball, he can't throw himself like he did without actual contact.

You could've shown better examples of this (half of Madrid's or Barça's team, Suarez, Rooney, Young, Torres, etc.) or more relevant to this forum (Brown, Ribeiro, Crosby and so on). But I don't know how you can say Orpik embellishes :shakehead.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
cropped_Grabbo_.gif

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Yeah, would be odd if he was able to play the next game after suffering horrendous unconciousness, so they put him on IR to make it less suspicious.

So, they're putting one of their best defensemen on the IR, to make sure another team's irrelevant 4th liner gets suspended. All to fake injury and prove some point that you aren't even able to make here trying to explain something that makes zero sense.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Yeah, would be odd if he was able to play the next game after suffering horrendous unconciousness, so they put him on IR to make it less suspicious.

I'm a little saddened, but somehow not surprised, that in the face of evidence debunking your inane conspiracy theory, rather than admit you were actually wrong (since that's apparently impossible), you would double-down on said theory and actually add another layer to it.

What are your thoughts on WTC-7? No wait a minute, forget I asked...

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Flames fired Feaster today. I expected this with Burke over there.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Flames fired Feaster today. I expected this with Burke over there.

I'm wondering how Burke is restraining himself from just jumping into the GM chair. I'm also wondering who is going to be nuts enough to work for Burke and expect any real autonomy.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I'm wondering how Burke is restraining himself from just jumping into the GM chair. I'm also wondering who is going to be nuts enough to work for Burke and expect any real autonomy.

Nobody,. I am betting Burke ends up taking that job himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad