Around the NHL 20-21 pt. 1: the season begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Of course Boston-Philly had to go to OT. Idk, I actually might fear Philly more this year? Boston just doesn’t look like the same force they have in recent years.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Of course Boston-Philly had to go to OT. Idk, I actually might fear Philly more this year? Boston just doesn’t look like the same force they have in recent years.

Philly was outshot and outchanced in each of their first 4 games. It's a small miracle that they have the record they do so far. idk, I'm just not that intimidated.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I can imagine the look on Torts face seeing that.

Hard to say with the mask but he actually seemed calm, kind of an "Alright, if that's how you want this to go down, enjoy the bench..."

upload_2021-1-21_23-14-4.png

But you know underneath it all that man is seething, he's definitely gonna break some stuff tonight.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Keeps up, soon it will be firesale rates on PLD.

There shouldn't be. He should be suspended without pay for the crap he pulled.

I hope he gets traded to Winnipeg for Laine. I hope his tears freeze in the Manitoba winters.

If players like him get their way the NHL will become like the NBA very quickly, and small-market teams will be nothing more than feeders for teams in major cities.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
There shouldn't be. He should be suspended without pay for the crap he pulled.

I hope he gets traded to Winnipeg for Laine. I hope his tears freeze in the Manitoba winters.

If players like him get their way the NHL will become like the NBA very quickly, and small-market teams will be nothing more than feeders for teams in major cities.

Given the two week quarantine, I doubt we see any trades this season between US & Canadian based teams. Fans and media will be clamoring for trades, but the lack of cap space and the quarantine issue will make mid-season trades even harder than usual. And they are pretty rare when compared to two busy trade periods at the TDL & around the draft.

Reactions: joshjull

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
Philly was outshot and outchanced in each of their first 4 games. It's a small miracle that they have the record they do so far. idk, I'm just not that intimidated.

I’m questioning Boston’s strength more than I’m thinking Philly is a contender or anything- we’ll see how the season plays out, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see those two teams competing for a playoff spot. In general- East is supposed to be the toughest division, but a lot of these squads might be on the downswing. Washington, Pittsburgh, and Boston falling while Rangers, Philly, and Buffalo take a step forwards. We’ll see, these divisions make things fun for a season- I had more interest in Philly/Boston game than I usually have for randomly watched games.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
PLD is not good enough to pull this type of crap. Who’s to say he doesn’t quit on his next team? He’s toxic IMO.

This is what I was thinking as well, if you were a team interested in acquiring PLD and saw him quit like this, it has to give you major reservations about acquiring him now.

It's one thing to express frustration with coaches or management, it's a completely different thing to check out on your teammates. There are other guys that are trying to win, playing for their next contract, trying to hit their own performance bonuses, and PLD's effort was as a much of an insult to his teammates as the organization.

Last edited:

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018

Holy shit PLD just went full IDGAF on his own team

I still don’t like Torts’ response- it just magnifies the problems there and lowers PLD’s trade value. Idk, tough situation, but benching him just drew attention to that awful effort- and teams aren’t gonna wanna trade for that. If he coulda gotten another two shifts from him in the first, then talked to him at intermission- “no one is gonna wanna trade for you if you play like that. You want outta here? The harder you work the faster it’ll happen because an acceptable offer will then be made.” Somethin like that at least, y’know, some bit of logic from either of these two clowns. I think they’re both way too stubborn and it’ll just uglier until CBJ has to accept a lowball offer.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I still don’t like Torts’ response- it just magnifies the problems there and lowers PLD’s trade value. Idk, tough situation, but benching him just drew attention to that awful effort- and teams aren’t gonna wanna trade for that. If he coulda gotten another two shifts from him in the first, then talked to him at intermission- “no one is gonna wanna trade for you if you play like that. You want outta here? The harder you work the faster it’ll happen because an acceptable offer will then be made.” Somethin like that at least, y’know, some bit of logic from either of these two clowns. I think they’re both way too stubborn and it’ll just uglier until CBJ has to accept a lowball offer.

Torts' job is to win now and not worry about trade value.

You can't keep throwing a guy over the boards that is giving that kind of effort. Jarmo and Torts need to sit PLD down and let him know that he needs to start playing well and producing if he wants a trade.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Torts' job is to win now and not worry about trade value.

You can't keep throwing a guy over the boards that is giving that kind of effort. Jarmo and Torts need to sit PLD down and let him know that he needs to start playing well and producing if he wants a trade.

How long is his current contract for? I'd go nuclear if I were the GM and saw this.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
This is what I was thinking as well, if you were a team interested in acquiring PLD and saw him quit like this, it has to give you major reservations about acquiring him now.

It's one thing to express frustration with coaches or management, it's a completely different thing to check out on your teammates. There are other guys that are trying to win, playing for their next contract, trying to hit their own performance bonuses, and PLD's effort was as a much of an insult to his teammates as the organization.
Maybe he has problems not with Tortorella, but with players from the team? Therefore, he does not care about them. It is difficult to draw conclusions without knowing the whole situation and what is happening there.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Maybe he has problems not with Tortorella, but with players from the team? Therefore, he does not care about them. It is difficult to draw conclusions without knowing the whole situation and what is happening there.

That's very true, as outsiders we don't know the whole story, I have to remind myself of that sometimes. But it really doesn't look good from the outside...

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Aside from the shift on video, was his play similar in previous games?

It obviously doesn't look good, but it seems like a bad shift has equated to "quit on the team/toxic" pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad