Around the NHL 20-21 pt. 1: the season begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Looking at the standings we are at least the best of the worst teams right now!

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I wonder if it is 100% actual issues with the pucks or if some part of it is actually that players are rusty as hell, subconsciously attributing sloppy puck play to these newfangled pucks?

I think there is some truth to what your saying. But the players seem to feel it’s an issue.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
If we weren't talking about the NHL, I would say it's absurd to suggest that the pucks wouldn't be the same weight down to a tenth of a milligram. Would MLB have baseballs that weren't perfect? Would the NFL have balls that weren't inflated properly? Okay, ignore that last one, but still. I'm sure there are some uh nutrition nuts in the lockerroom who have very precise scales, let's see the numbers, Auston.

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think you listen to the players. They do in the other sports.

It shouldn’t be hard to re-create a puck with an added chip, that doesn’t change the weight or movement dynamics.

Reactions: brian_griffin

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I think you listen to the players. They do in the other sports.

It shouldn’t be hard to re-create a puck with an added chip, that doesn’t change the weight or movement dynamics.

It shouldn't be impossible, but it might be more difficult than we think. The easy part would be keeping the rotational axis and center of gravity the same; but the modulus of elasticity is gonna get you. There should be a difference in the way a solid piece of rubber takes force compared to a puck with a non-elastic core section.

This is assuming they're taking any trouble to keep the weight and density the same. If those aren't the same, and according to Matthews and Spezza they aren't, the handling characteristics could be different enough that even a non-pro player could tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad